Chapter 17 - Lame Horses

There was a somber mood at breakfast, mostly because the men had drank too much wine the night before. Nicassiús was solemn for other reasons, she repeated Thranduil's story in her head, the more she repeated it the more ludicrous it sounded, and she kept getting flashbacks of the green eyed man in her dreams, it was just a stupid dream she told herself, probably brought on by the kings silly story playing tricks on her mind. She was also sad because she was leaving. Legolas had not joined them for breakfast, he left her room just after day break when the king had requested his presence.

"I have something to show you" her brother Niall said as they left the large dining hall. She followed him as he lead her to the stables

"Findal!" she cried when he walked her over to her faithful horse "you found him?"

"yes he found his way back to the village alone that day"

She stroked the beautiful black stallions long mane "it is good to see you boy" she whispered

Niall was the strong silent type, he had a quiet confidence about him and he was reserved, most unlike Neymar who was extroverted and overly confident. He had his mothers eyes and his fathers strawberry blonde hair and was handsome but hid his features behind a shabby beard. Neymar was the most striking looking of the two brothers, with his scruffy blonde hair and his deep blue eyes, he always caught the eye of the ladies, which added to his confidence even more.

"You know don't you Cass?" Niall said, she knew exactly what he ment

"Yes, I heard you and father arguing" she replied as she continued to stoke Findal

"That's why you left?"

"Yes, for that reason... and because I think mother was trying to marry me off to that horrid duke of Harrowdale, he's not even a duke he just decided to give himself the title"

"Too beneath you was he?"'Niall joked softly, not in a way that Neymar would have said it, more as a way to lighten the mood, and she leaned over and gave him a gentle tap with her elbow to his ribs, as he put his arm around her ruffled her her.

"We must leave soon' Niall said 'are you ready?"

"yes" she replied, but she wasn't she was far from it.

The men gathered on their horses ready to leave Mirkwood. Nicassius had collected her things and said goodbye to the elves she had met at the kingdom, she was stalling slightly in the hope she would see Legolas as she hated public goodbyes and would rather have said their farewells in the privacy of her room.

She made her way down to the front entrance but he was still nowhere to be seen as she mounted her horse.

"Poor Findal, having to carry all that weight" Neymar announced

"she ate enough food at dinner last night to sink a ship!" he teased

"that poor horse will be lame by the time we reach the Gap of Rohan"

She was not in the mood for his jokes, and she turned ready to give him a tongue lashing, then she saw Legolas appear with a group of elves, dressed in his hunting clothes. With his bow and arrow and his daggers upon his back. He mounted his white horse and he and the other elves joined the party of men as they set off on their journey

"You're coming with us?" she said shocked as he caught up to her horse

"Yes, the king has ordered you a personal escort" he replied in a serious voice as he continued to face forward.

Then a moment later he leaned right over to her and whispered "I would rather you had rode with me again...but I fear my poor horse might not take the weight"

"I think my brother is a bad influence on you" she smiled "best watch your ribs next time you are near"

Why had Thrandruil ordered an escort? She wondered as they rode off.

(sorry this chapter is quite short and apologies for the lame title, really could not think what else to call it!)