The Cavern

I woke up to the most terrifying thing, the rock I was on featured several half-eaten animal carcasses. Each one bloody, with pieces of flesh all about it, parts of the creatures were still intact while other parts spilling out in red chunks. God only knows why but I looked closer at them only to see maggots squirming around inside of it. "Of course, this damned ocean has fly's," I thought. Looking around I still only seen the ocean. Ocean, ocean, ocean. When life gives you ocean, you swim down and hope to god that you don't end up in the mouth of a creature bigger than you. I blacked out.

I awoke to find myself inside some sort of cave system. The water didn't go all the way up into it do to the cavern going upwards. My ears popped as I considered how deep I had been. The fear started to set in. Claustrophobia. I was trapped, possibly hundreds of meters deep in a land with nobody to come help me. Whatever the hell did this, I beg of you to please undo it. There is no life in this cave and the water is nothing but plain blackness spread like a blanket. I am trapped in an underwater void. Devoid of light, devoid of hope, full of despair. Sometimes the ocean is very enticing, I want to go out there even if it means death, maybe if I went out there I wouldn't be starving to death in an almost pitch black cave. Come to think of it- whats lighting the walls of this cavern with a dim almost firey light?

My life back on Earth wasn't very interesting. My wife left me several years back, she took both the children with her, they later moved out of state. Around the same time, I was fired from my position and nobody was willing to hire me. I eventually had to turn to less ethical ways to make enough money to feed myself. Nothing too serious, however. My wife Mary was nothing more than a beautiful intelligent woman with strong aspirations for the future. When she and I had opposite ideals she left me to fend for myself. My life was over thanks to her. She ruined it. It's all her goddamn fault this happened to me- it's her fault this happened to her. I know it is. My children were two great kids, one with a brain more than powerful enough to solve even the toughest math equations, she wasn't tough enough to defend herself properly though. My son, however, had very fast reflexes along with some good punches and a very strong heartbeat. They were two amazing kids, one amazing wife, and our careers. 

I worked as a social worker. I dealt with kids all the time. They're so honest and open, their parents wore crowns of thorns, punishing themselves as they tried to mask their true colors. Many children were taken out of there parents custody. I don't want to take the kids, we just don't want bad parents taking care of them. I repeated this in my head till the day came, then it went then years later I was here. Trapped. 

My life outside of work was rather boring. I took many business trips. Most of which were cut off early. I would typically walk home at a slow pace, looking into the windows of other peoples lives from afar. Many people had a unique, good, happy life. I remember looking at them. Nobody ever looked back. I had private business here and there, nothing interesting. I used to just blindly follow the bosses orders. I got paid just the same, another hour, another hourly wage. I did it out of spite for the old man, he deserved it. After all, his methods were wrong, even for me. I did many things that many people would consider wrong. I find them all to natural in the scheme of life. Back to those animalistic days when all was the same, those were the days when life was normal.

The cave began to shudder. I got a cold breeze as the flame like lighting slowly diminished into nothing more than a crack before completely fading. Echos came from the walls behind me, echos of screams, of fear, one feminine voice, and to other younger voices, these voices never left my head. I sprinted away from them, tripping and face planting onto the cold rocks, As I got up I noticed I was back on that rock, no animal carcasses, just a rock, and the plain old sea. That was, until, a horrifyingly large shark-like black fin, about the size of a house door poked up and slowly sunk back down, leaving a large trail of water so strong that it created waves that splashed the rock I was still crouched upon.

Just when I began to think this hell sent demon decided to leave me alone I heard a loud crack like a whip in the wind.  An enormous black tail like structure tipped with a white heart crashed in and out of the water like a dolphin, and the calming waves came once more. Its tail was there then gone like the life of a mortal. The creatures back popped up in a slow manner, and its fin that was once the size of a house door was now more of the size of an entire house. That was its largest fin. However, its back consisted of tens, of hundreds, of thousands, dare I say of millions more. It began to slowly and with preparation, bring its upper body out of the water for a brief few minutes. Its face was an in describable block of infinite proportion, it contained a shining silver beak and many large bright eyes. 

It had a couple of appendages pointing out of the back of its head, they were stubby but made a crisp turn to point back at the way the creature was facing. There only looked to be a few at first but the more I stared the more of these there were. Its neck was short, though large in comparison to anything else around it. It took me a while but I noticed this creature that once was several hundred meters away from me was growing closer as its body violently contorted in terrible, unthinkable ways. Its face began to look more ghostly as it stood mear feet from the rock I was on. Its face grew up into the heavens looking down upon me. Its pale lifeless face brought a feeling of shame to me as its eyes stared a meaningless stare. It was almost lifeless in the stance it gave, this creature wasn't looking at me, but rather into me, reading me like a book.

A feeling of anguish dawned upon me. How long has this been here? Has it really been minutes? The feeling of burning on my back began again, I must have injured it bad but never realized. The creatures face growing larger in an instant. It slowly opened its mouth before releasing a tone of many. The sound was deafening, yet calming, its voice shrieked as its face remained lifeless. A feeling of enlightenment hit me as suns glair grew and all went white, then black.