Separate lives ..or not..

A few days into the marriage..and Vaishnavi is a hit with the family..the cousins love her..while she takes awhile to open up and is by nature quiet..she would suddenly say something extremely witty that would have the cousins in peals..NR's mother knew by her mastery in the kitchen that she lucked out..In fact her sister-in-laws teased her..

Veena: There we were ready to eat moghlai mutton..and here we are getting to eat gottu vankai (stuffed baingan)..Neela..your prayers have been answered amma..

Neela: Really vadinaa..thank god sense prevailed in my boy..

Veena: Raju loves you..now only if the two talk to each other..it will be good..

Neela: I have also noticed..but let us give them some time..soon he will love her too

Vasanthi: How will he?..All the time she is here downstairs in the kitchen doing your seva...

Veena and Vasanthi grin away teasing Neela..

Veena: I think Neela you should go for a vacation if you want the two to "love"

Neela giggles along with them..but she thinks they do have a point..

Naagu: What do you mean?

Neela: Don't tell me you don't know the meaning of a honeymoon..

Naagu: YOU HAVE got to be kidding me??!!!!

Neela: Don't take that tone with me..

Naagu: For God's sake..Amma..listen..I have to go back to my job..the whole company there is in a crisis..

Neela: SO then why go? Look for a job here..

Naagu: I am not listening to this..I have some work to do..(puts on his headphones and goes back to his laptop)

Neela: (stands up and angrily mutters): I don't know why I bother..??..your wife should do this now..

NR rolls his eyes..as he watches his mother leave his room..his cousin Suru enters the room..opens his wife's side of the closets in the room and removes a bottle and is about to walk out..he removes his headphones..

NR: Aiy..Suru..what is that in your hand??

Suru: Vadina;s shampoo..I asked her ..she said to take it from her cupboard..

NR: Okay..(he puts his headphones back..and Suru leaves..)

He turns to see one of her closet door half open..he gets up..to close it..however he opens it..and there on the second shelf..are her toiletries..all of them..shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, tooth brush..

His curiosity itches him..he enters the bathroom..and realizes none of her things are in the bathroom..only his..what does this mean?? Is this how its going to be??..something enters him..he walks to her cupboard..picks out all of her stuff..and places them in the bathroom..her toothbrush next to his..her shampoo and bodywash in the self below his..he gets irritated at the fact that she even uses a different toothpaste..and what the hell is this metal strip?? ..he throws it in the dustbin and the toothpaste goes into the drawer below the sink..Now thats better!!..he thinks..

He steps out of the bathroom...extremely pleased with himself..and then he spots her..she stares at him..and then the bed that she had made in the morning unmade again..with his laptop and papers on it..she is irritated..she does not say anything..he grabs his laptop and papers and steps out of the room..

She fetches a churidhar..the cousins want to go for a movie..she readily agrees to join..she starts removing her saree..a cotton everyday wear..she shuts the bedroom door..bolts it..changes.. opens her cupboard..takes her comb and lipstick..steps into the bathroom..brushes her hair..ties it in a plait..adjusts her bindi..and steps out..keeps her comb back.

...and then suddenly she feels something amiss..she opens the bathroom and spots all her stuff..OH?!?!?!..does not want to talk to me...but wants my stuff here in the bathroom with his..who does he think he is??..if I don't want to keep..I won't ..he cannot make me..how can he touch my things?..she picks up everything and they go back where they came from..she spends a minute looking for her toothpaste and tongue cleaner..cannot find them..she hears a knock on the door..she opens it..

He is standing outside the door..she walks back..and quickly grabs her dupatta on the bed and rushes out..He stares at her back..what the hell?? Like as though I was going to rape her??!!...he walks into the bathroom for a quick wash..comes out..stark raving mad..he goes to his desk..opens the drawer..and shuffles things around..just as he was about to shut the drawer..his cousin enters the room..

Gautum: Come on..Raaju..we are leaving..you are delaying us..

NR: Yeah..give me a minute..I shall be down in no time..

Downstairs..there is an ongoing discussion on the car arrangements..

Suru: Vadina..you come with us..

Deepa: Anyway..Raju is taking so long..some of us should leave or we wont get tickets..

Neela: Why don't you guys leave..and these two will follow.

Vaishu: No No..none of us are familiar with the city...what if we get lost..

Deepa: I think that's what Athaiya (father's sister) wants..(everyone giggles)

Vaishu: But I hear Athaiya's (also used for mother in law) son never wants what she wants..

All of them burst out laughing and Neela smiles at her daughter in law..yes she chose well..her son comes down the stairs..they all leave..the couple are not made to be in the same car...the cousins don't let them sit next to each other..in the movie theatre..while the cousins think they are torturing them...they are only too glad..NR sleeps through the movie and Vaishnavi grins, hums and laughs through it all..

After the movie, in the parking lot..NR receives a phone call.. the cousins split to fetch the cars..and suddenly she realizes she is alone with him..he is on the phone..extremely agitated..she can catch his conversation..it has something to do with his job..she gathers..she turns to look at him..he is running his hand over his hair..he is upset..she wonders what it may be..he looks up..she looks away..he stares at her long braid..good god! He thinks it reaches below her hips..one of the cars arrive..both of them get in..

On the way back home..she is extremely quiet..and he glances at her wondering how much of the conversation she picked on..they reach Kishkhinda..all the cousins enter the house..dinner has been served..Vaishu helps the ladies put the food on the table..NR walks upstairs..he sends word that no one
wait up for him..becuase he has a conference call..

...she eats with the cousins..and walks up stairs..she can hear him belligerent over the phone..decides to leave him alone and enters Suru's room..she changes there..borrows her nightie..returns later ..sits on the bed..watches him sleep..he seems so peaceful..she thinks..she lies down..she looks down at her nightie..in the front of it is a long zipper..almost reaching her navel..she smiles..Suru bought it for her honeymoon she said..silly girl..not even married and already shopping for her honeymoon..he turns..and faces her sleeping form..her face seems so serene he thinks..

--
Sehme se rehte hai..jab yeh din dhalta hai[..