04. the dinner date

my boys are laughing and tap me on the shoulder
making a motion like, "could ya get any closer?"

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14th

"DID YOU JUST SAY YOU KISSED HIM?"
lexi shrieked into the phone.

she was excited for her friend, having never kissed anyone to kissing the johnny orlando, it's quite the leap.

"why are you screaming?! and yes, but it was a pity kiss. he only did it because he felt bad for me. it was a friendly thing," she reassured her friend and herself.

"sis, boys don't kiss girls because they feel bad for them. they kiss them because they want to. baby, our boy has a crush." mackenzie could hear lexi sucking on a lollipop between every sentence. it was probably cherry. lexi loved red everything.

"definitely not, he's just a friend. we're only faking so his mom stops grilling him," she revealed.

lexi sighed, "and what's in it for you?"

"i can say i've had a boyfriend now."

"i thought it was fake," lexi mimicked the words her friend used earlier.

"you know what i mean! i have to go now, mom finished dinner."

"what are you having?"

"chicken alfredo, i think."

"ok my favorite! bring me left overs tomorrow and tell momma mel i said hi!"

"of course, bye lex, love ya!"

"love you too!" she hung up the phone and immediately got another text.

johnnyorlando85
hey
can i call u

mackenziezieggy
im about to eat din but i'll call
you after kk?

johnnyorlando85
w momma mel?

mackenziezieggy
the one and only
read

mackenzie set her phone on her bed and sprung up, seriously craving her moms delicious chicken alfredo.

her mom handed her a plate and pointed to the dining room table. not a second later, melissa followed behind her with her own plate. both sit down and eat.

"maddie is with a few friends tonight, so it looks like it's just you and me," she weakly smiled.

ever since her husband and mackenzies dad left, two years ago, melissa has enjoyed every bit of company she could get. maddie often stayed out late with her group of friends, while mackenzie was more of the home body. melissa loved mackenzie dearly, but she missed the nights when it was her whole family.

"ya, just you an-"

the doorbell rang and melissa let out a sigh. she hated when people trying to sell her something interrupted her family time.

"who could this possibly be?" she asked impatiently.

"i... don't know," she said, in between bites of alfredo.