Chapter 1

Survivors:

Horsetail- an older brown tabby furred medicine cat with yellow eyes. 89 moons old.

Redflight- a ginger tabby furred tom with Amber eyes. 16 moons.

Raspypaw- a ginger tabby furred tom with Amber eyes. His name was changed to Raspypaw for his raspy voice. 7 moons.

Rouges:
Tide- brown tom with black and grey stripes and amber eyes. 11 moons.

Lies- black furred she cat with white legs, paws and Crimson eyes. 24 moons.

Skorge- jet black furred Tom with Crimson yellow. 13 moons.

Kittypets:
Sarah- a Carmel brown she cat with a few lighter spots around her tail. 18 moons.

Jumper- a lean cream tom with long legs. 22 moons.

Happy- a small cream she cat with brown eyes. 7 moons.

Quinn- Happy's brother from a different litter. A Tom with cream fur, a few black patches and almost black eye. 17 moons.

--------------------------------------------

It was dawn as Tide stepped out of his den and began to stretch for the day of hunting ahead. As he stepped into the city streets the familiar scents of dogs hit is nose. He scowled and remembered that the only way to his usual hunting grounds in the city were always infested with mutts and other rogue cats.

Tide turned his eyes to the other direction in which the suburbs and the park were near. "Might as well," Tide huffed under his breath trotting toward the park.

After he reached the park it was sun high and blazing. He decided to avoid the park's meadow and go straight for shade of the trees. Once he settled under he protection of a young oak, he started to groom himself and inspected the new land.

The scent was mingled with dogs, humans, and cats. When he smelled the scent of a Clan cat, he couldn't help but cringe. Tide watched as a small ginger tom trotted across the grass toward the woods, from the city, carrying a squirrel.

"Hey you! Who said you owned this land! Get off, fast!" Tide growled and started to stalk toward the tom. The ginger tom looked around four moons younger than Tide. The young tom shuttered but held his ground.

Instead of replying the tom winked and darted away toward the trees. Tide felt pride swell within him and he raced after the tiny tom. How dare he disregard me...

After crossing into the woods Tide was overcome with scents of all kinds and pure adrenaline and thrill. He was so caught up in chasing the tom that he didn't notice how far in the forest he was. He stopped in realization as he peered around at his surrounding. The park trees had changed from normal oaks and maples to tall pines and different scents. There was a uncomfortableness of many earthy scents and sounds that overwhelmed Tide. He had never traveled this far from the city, until then.

Where did he go? Tide wondered trying to detect the scent trail again. The heavy breeze rushed through the trees washing over the scent trail the young ginger tom had left.

"What cat are you if you can't follow scents?" A voice croaked from above and Tide felt his eyes go upward. On one of the pine tree's branches there perched was the young ginger tom grinning.

"You're fresh trash! I would've caught you if you hadn't.."

"Been more clever than you?" The young ginger tom snickered in a crackle. The voice was brittle and cracked as if was broken.

Before Tide could reply a large gust of wind swooped through the trees and the thin branch the young tom was perched on, snapped. He fell onto the ground littered with nettles of the pines and Tide let his lips form a grin.

"The forest and the city is mine. Stay off and get lost," Tide demanded as he stalked away.

"But wait! We need you, Horsetail said!"

"I'm a loner, kit! Now get away," Tide grunted with annoyance thick in his voice. The young tom didn't flinch though.

"No. You belong with other cats, in a clan. You can come with me and never have to dig through more trash!"

The proposal froze Tide and he turned his head back to the tom. The cat's eyes were large with hope and anxiousness and Tide finally sighed.

"Only for a day," he replied and the young tom grinned in relief. "What's your name?"

"Raspypaw," he croaked. He further explained how his name was named after his broken voice, which was earned in a fire long ago.

"What's your name?" Raspypaw chimed in.

"It's Tide," he said in a low voice not able to explain the past meaning of his name. It was none of the kit's business.

"Well we're almost there. I hope you don't made the forest, because it's where we live," Raspypaw added on before Tide had a sudden gut feeling, as if a cat were watching them.

Then claws pierced his pelt.