Chapter One

January 12th, 2283

Beep...Beep...Beep...What is that noise! My eyes slowly open and I try to find where the beeping is coming from and make it stop, because it's super annoying! As my eyes adjust to the darkness I realize its coming from my wrist com. It is way to early for this crap. When I click to answer it, the voice that comes to my ears is much worse than the beeping.

"Violet we don't have time for you to sleep all day! We have a new job, get down to here for debriefing....NOW!"

Yep, I'll take the beeping over Bruce's deafening voice any day. I click back to respond, "God Bruce! It's 5am, give me a second."

Another voice responds on my com with much sarcasm, "Awww, did the princesses beauty sleep get interrupted."

"Actually yes, thanks for your concern Rumi." I say back with just as much sarcasm. It is way to early to deal with both of them. But especially Rumi's crap, you'd think that because she and I are the only girls on the crew we would get along. But the fact that she likes to make my life miserable kinda ruins our chances of ever becoming freinds.

As I sit up I stretch my hands over my head, this is waking up my sleeping muscles, and I rub my tired eyes. I yawn as I push off the covers, and my bare feet touch the cold ground, this gives me an extra jolt to help wake me up. I yawn again. It's way to freaking early for this, and we just finished a job last night anyways, can't Bruce take a break every once and awhile.

Ha! That's laughable, in all the time I've known Bruce he only has one speed, and it definitely doesn't include taking breaks. I get up and quickly grab warmer cloths and put on my boots and throw my hair up in a ponytail and head out of my room to the hub. As I'm on my way to the others, I cross my arms against the chill that is in the air. This only reminds me that we are in the dead middle of winter which makes this place just a bit more miserable.

Even though this has been my home for the past eight years it still feels more like a dungeon to me more than anything. With its grey concrete walls, cold drafts, and that dingy mold smell in the air it makes it hard for me to feel cozy. It doesn't help that the majority of the place is underground so we get very little natural lighting too. But it's safe here, so I deal with this dark, and gloomy dungeon of a home.

Out there you basically got the whole world against your survival. First there is the Elements, which each come with thier own pretty package of destruction. We've got freaky animals and beast that can give nightmares that can last for weeks. And of course the most dangerous of them all are the lunatic humans with abilities that make you blood run cold.

I shiver again, not from the cold but just thinking about some of the messed up things I've seen and....also done. My stomach gets that queasy feeling again. People may say I'm blessed with these powers, but they're my curse and they always will be. Hating where my thoughts went I shake them off as I enter the hub.