CHAPTER THREE

Today, the funeral day, the sky was bleak and dark,just like my heart and outfit. My Maama! My heart clenched sorrowfully against my chest, my Maama is gone.

We arrived at Church and the Pastor droned back and forth, I couldn't comprehend a thing, my whole body was burning with anger,venom and bitterness,who hit and killed my mother?,it took all I had in me not to run out of my chair or tear down the building or..... I felt a touch on my shoulder,turning back I saw my cousin, Wale, I wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying, so he tapped me on the shoulder again.

"Hey Ian, let's go outside,the service is over" he said with large eyes. I nodded once and stood up to follow him.

I saw it. Maama was laid in her coffin, I stood dead struck, my while body was on shut down I couldn't process anything anymore. I didn't know I was crying until I saw Aunt Sari wiping tears from my face and moving her mouth. I couldn't understand anything anymore.

My Maama is gone.

************************************

I followed Aunt Sari and my cousins back home and I saw my two chaps, Rex and Dona.

"Damian" they cried out in unison it was almost comical. Almost.
"We are sorry for your loss man, so sorry"Rex said with sadness oozing into his voice.

"Whatever happens, we'd like you to carry on, please, we want the best for you" Dona said also. If it were other times, I would've laughed at this, cause I know how much Dona hate giving pep talk. However, this is not other times, this time my Maama is gone. The realization hits me again. Oh lawd!.

"Thanks guys, well meet my Aunt Sari and my cousins, Wale and Jade.

I turned to my Aunt and Cousin, "meet my two friends, Rex and Dona, we've been close since forever " I said.
Exchanges were made and convo was flowing till my Aunt cleared her voice for the much needed attention and said, "Damian, I think what I have to tell you is pretty important,you've lost your parent and I don't think you can stay in this house by yourself, I think it will be for the best if you come to live with us. You're family and family always have each other's back in times like this. Come stay with us". She concluded pleadingly.

"I can't leave this place, this is the only thing I have left of my mom" I said with despair seeping into my voice, taking my hand through my hair.

"Pretty please, Ian, I promise I'll make it worth your while"Wale said.
Jade was looking at me with her usual blank stare.

"I personally will miss you man, but I agree with your Aunt on this, you can't be alone, it's not even advisable "Dona said with a sad look.

"And besides, the house is a rented place, remember? " Rex added.
I turned my back against them and squeezed my eyes shut, I can't believe this is happening to me. Why me?. I let out out a few heavy breath and turned back towards them.

"Yes, I will. I'll move in with you guys" I said in a rushed breath as I looked from my aunt to my cousins.
And this brethren, is where my story begins.

************************************

Today is the day, I sprang out of my bed and rushed to the backyard where my Maama's special rose garden is, I inhaled the smell and it reminded me of her lilac-y smell. How someone will dedicate her life to roses and choose lilac as her favorite never fails to amaze me.

I felt a presence behind me, I knew it was my Aunt, "She'll be fine and at peace wherever she is and I know she'll always want you to be happy. I want you to be happy too"she said patting my cheeks.