CHAPTER FOUR

Vote! Comment! Vote! Thank you ☺

I had a dream the night before, it was Maama before me, twirling in her rose garden, I tried to reach her. It was an endless chase. It was a mirage.

I lied on my bed for awhile listening to the chirping birds in the trees and the soft pitter patter of rain on the roof. A tear or two slipped from my eyes, my heart and body felt heavy. I stayed that way for thirty minutes till my peace was interrupted by Wale who was screaming and banging on the door.

"Ian, it's a school day, get your arse up and get ready" he shouted

"Good morning by the way" he added like an afterthought

"Will you, Wale, for the love of the heavenly God stop screaming, you are destroying our eardrums" Aunt Sari said with annoyance.

My mind was oblivious to this as I was still in the faraway place where everything was different and Maama was still alive.

I rolled off the bed with a heavy sigh and went into the bathroom. I didn't use up to thirty minutes before I  was done with my business. I dressed up semi-consciously and went towards the sitting room.

"Good morning Auntie" I greeted her

"Wale my boy, come quick and sit before your food runs cold " she said with a smile.

"How was your night here?" she asked.

"It was really cool" I replied in between spoons.

She told me about how I was going to get my school uniform and other necessary items today. She also offered to follow me to school but I turned her down. I think I'm pretty much capable of taking care of myself. Thanks very much.

Wale bounced into the room twirling around and making some dance moves. It was ridiculously funny.

"God help that child, I really don't know who he took after, I don't even think he's mine. He must have been swapped at birth" my Aunt said shaking her head slightly.

I smiled to myself. Even the blind can see the resemblance between Wale and my Aunt.

"Well, I think it's time for us to head out to school, I wouldn't want you to be late on your first day. I know, I'm such a nice person, you can thank me later" Wale said haughtingly.

"Whatever, let's go " I replied

"Take care of yourselves kids, do not fight" Aunt said.

"I wish" Wale replied rolling his eyes

"I can hear you boy" Aunt retorted

We started the short walk to his school.

"Well, where is Jade?, Isn't she schooling? "I asked trying to make small talk.

"Yeah, she's done with sec school, she's waiting for admission into uni, she's a lucky bitch" he replied with as much innocence like he didn't just call his sister a bitch.
(sec school =secondary school)

VOTE! COMMENT! VOTE! ☺

"Well, our school system is not that different from your former school's and with that body and brain of yours you'll be getting all the damn girls" he said winking.

"Trust me bro, getting a girl is the last thing on my mind after what I've been through, I think I'll be stuck in this phase for awhile" I told him truthfully.

"Oops, I'm sorry for bringing that up, let's just walk and not talk" he said giving me a pat on the back.

"It's nothing really" I replied reassuringly.