Chapter 33

Zayn walked with his mother to the front desk, and he was utterly confused, but by the way his mother's eyes shown pain, he knew it wasn't something he should be happy about. She received a call earlier, though she never told her little boy a thing, not wanting to break him, like he was so fragile and delicate.

Sighing, Trisha crouched down to her son's level, caressing his cheek, while tears filled her eyes. "Baby, will you please wait for mummy? Please sit down on one of those chairs and be a good boy for me, alright, sunshine? I'll be right back." The boy nodded in response, sighing. He went to sit in the waiting room, wondering what was happening. What was wrong? Why did his mother look completely broken? Did something bad happen? The eight year old continued to think of many possibilities, but each one sounded ridiculous than the other.

Once he saw his mother approaching him, he quickly stood up to his feet, running over to her with worried eyes. To make things worse, his father hasn't been home since last night. Trisha tried to smile at him, but immediately failed, biting her lip to hold back in her sobs. "W - what's wrong, mum? What's going on?"

"Honey, Baba's here. We have to go and see him, okay?" Zayn knew that it won't go well. He could tell by the tone of her voice, that it wasn't anything near good. Hoping for the best, Trisha took ahold of Zayn's hand, touch still soft and caring, leading him to a room.

His heart stopped, as he witnessed his own father laying there, with cuts and bruises littering on his body. Yaser's skin turned pale, and his lips were a bluish-violet color. Tears began to build up in Zayn's eyes. It all made sense to him in that very moment. He just lost his father. His other half. His mother's significant other.

His best friend.

"M - mum, p - please tell me he's okay.."    he stuttered. "W - what happened to him?"

"I'm so sorry, sunshine. I —" she stammered, wiping the tears in her eyes, but new fresh ones had already came. She tried to mask it, the truth, not wanting him to feel the unbearable pain that she was feeling. Except Zayn didn't want that, nor was he convinced one bit. Just because he was eight, didn't mean that he was that stupid not to notice. It was obvious, her face shown sadness and sorrow, making Zayn's urges to comfort her more stronger, but he couldn't, not with the way he was shaking terribly, and was crying his little heart out.

"Just please.. tell me, mum."

"He got into a car accident.. honey, I don't how to say this but — " after hearing her words, the only thing he felt was numbness. Of his heart, body, and mind.

"He's gone..." Zayn paused.

"Isn't he?"  He questioned sadly. Looking down, from the corner of his eye, he saw his mother nod, still crying. This news was hard for them both, since it was unexpected.

But Zayn just didn't understand why. What did his father do wrong to deserve this? He was a man, with a big heart, who served other people before himself. Yaser always made sure that everyone was content and happy. Zayn admired and adored him for that.

His father was a hero.

A hero that would always be remembered..

His hero..

"I love you, Baba.."

_______________

"Sunshine, are you ready for school?"

"Yeah.."

"Are you sure, baby? Are you okay? Want to stay home for today?"

"No, I'm fine, mum. I'm ready. Don't worry 'bout me, yeah?"