With your hand in mine

"Just hold my hand and look at me." Draco tried focusing on Harry's voice, which was being swallowed by the noise of hundreds of people at his parent's annual Spring ball. Harry was looking at him and Draco could see the worry in his eyes but his parents were watching them, throwing daggers at them with their glares and after merely showing up with his "boyfriend", Draco was walking on thin ice.

"Draco, can you please turn away from them and look at me?" Harry's voice floated to him again and he turned away when he felt a squeeze of Harry's hand on his own. Draco turned, their eyes met and when Harry sighed in relief, a part of Draco wanted to just leave and have a comfortable night with him instead of stressing him with his paranoia.

"I'm here," Harry said and let go of one of Draco's hand in order to cup Draco's cheek. Draco flinched and murmured something but Harry only smiled. "Let them look. I'm here. We're here. There is nothing they can do about it."
Harry's hand slid from Draco's cheek to his shoulder and he raised their intertwined fingers higher. "Come dance with me."

Draco was being pulled onto the dance floor and even as Harry melted into him, letting him lead, letting him be 'the man', he couldn't help but feel on edge. "Everyone is looking at us, Potter."

"Since when do you call your best friend by his surname?" Harry chuckled and looked up at Draco. Draco looked at him, the furrowed eyebrows never relaxing, his teeth never leaving the inside of his lip unworried.

"Since I decided to take him to my parents' ball in the role of my boyfriend," Draco replied, but only absentmindedly. They were still twirling through the crowd of dancers but there was a slight push of Harry's finger on his back, pushing him backwards, towards the drinks table.

As soon as they stopped, both of them taking a glass of something stronger than champagne, Draco turned away from the crowd and whispered, closing his eyes. "This was such a bad idea."

"No, it wasn't," Harry told him, his hand drawing gentle circles on the small of Draco's back for the room to see. "Imagine coming here alone. Don't you remember the night you told them?"

"Of course I do! It was three days ago!" Draco growled, brushing off Harry's hands. He downed the drink and moved until they were hidden by a small crowd of people standing around the table. "Coming here alone would be a nightmare."

"Yes, it would," Harry agreed and took Draco's hand once more. It was one of the things Harry'd learned of the years of their friendship - touch soothed Draco; even a small brush of fingers could calm him down. "But you're not alone. You've got me right here next to you. You've got Pansy and Blaise, keeping your parents away."

"Yeah, well, they are doing a half-ass job," Draco sneered at the crowd to his left when he was actually watching his parents approach with the corner of his eyes.

"Okay, Draco, remember that I'm here. We're here to spite them, okay? We're happy and not scared and completely in love," Harry repeated as he had before they'd entered the ballroom before they left for the Malfoy Manor, and the second Draco started planning the whole event. "Take my hand, intertwine our fingers. I'll kiss your hand, okay?"

"No, let me kiss yours," Draco shook his head and turned his body completely towards Harry. He slouched as if Harry was magnetically pulling him to come closer and he let his features soften. He was looking at his best friend, at someone he trusted with his life. Harry didn't deserve to be frowned at.

"Thank you for doing this," Draco whispered into space between us, his lungs feeling with new found confidence as his parents came closer at an alarming rate. He pulled their hands up and pressed a long, gentle kiss into the soft skin of Harry's hand.