Chapter Twenty-Four

She sleeps all day... dreams of you in both worlds.
Tills the blood in and out of uterus. Wakes up
smelling of zinc.
Grief, sedated by orgasm.
Orgasm heightened by grief.
God was in the room when the man said to the woman,
"I love you so much. Wrap your legs
around me and pull me in, pull me in, pull me
in."
Sometimes when he'd have her nipple in his mouth, she'd whisper, "Oh my God."
That, too, is a form of worship.
Her hips grind pestle and mortar, cinnamon
and cloves, whenever he pulls out.

Loss.

Beyoncé's POV

"What you're going to do once you get in here is look for Arvest bank online and apply for a job, since you're here, tell them you'd prefer to do an over the phone interview," Michael instructs me as I look at my fake ID once more.

"Could I pass for a Sasha Fitzgerald?"

I wonder ignoring everything he just said because he's said these same lines to me a million times already like damn, I think I got it.  

"That's not what you should be worried about right now, worry about whether or not you'll get this job."

I roll my eyes at him before stepping out of the car and enter the library. I sign in as a guest on the computer before finding myself on the bank's website applying for a job. I'm answering questions, telling them I'm planning on moving over there permanently by next week and my phone number to call.

They ask for my work experience and I use the bullshit resume that Benny gave me and put all that information into the computer before telling them about the finance degree I received from Howard. Then finally, they ask the golden question...

Do we have permission to perform a background check?

I hover over the no before I quickly click on the yes button and I submit the application.

I sit there just staring at the screen in awe because I've never done a job application before, an online one at that so I'm just shocked at how simple it could've been. If only I was smart enough at the time to realize that getting a job isn't that damn difficult.

Look at me lying, I hated the idea of working, my parents worked like slaves and didn't have enough time to actually get to know me. Working a nine to five sounded like giving up to me because the miserable looks on my parents' faces when they came home told me everything I needed to know. 

I jump at the sound of my ringer going off on my phone and answer it to see that the number is from Bentonville, Arkansas.

Damn, that's fast, they must be desperate...

"Hello, I am calling from Arvest Bank, I am the branch manager, Jeremy Scott. Is this Sasha speaking?"

"Yes, this is she," I answer with a phony smile on my face.

"I was calling because I see here you applied for the bank teller position, am I correct?"

"Yes, sir."

We converse about the job and since I'm considered an out-of-state applicant, he interviews me on the phone.

"Well, we've done our background check and everything checks out, so I'll say you start next week on Wednesday morning," He tells me and I grin walking out of the library.

I see Michael leaning on the car smoking a blunt and I roll my eyes at how ghetto he looks right now. Like really? Outside of the library?

"Thank you so much, Mr. Scott."