Small World - Chapter Five

We thanked Barnaby for his hospitality, made our way out of the tunnel and drove in CJ's car to the spot where I was shrunk and dropped my keys. I saw my enormous bag sitting on the countertop where I had left it. My phone's light telling me I had messages was shining through the slightly-open zip.
Crap, I thought. I'll have to deal with that once I get back.
"Stop here, CJ. This is it," I told her.
She put down the brake pedal as we rounded a stool near the front desk.
"Ah, shit!" I cried in frustration.The keys were gone. There was a sort of scorch-mark where they had been on the floor. The mark made a spiral.
"Of course he took them. He's too smart to just leave 'em there," CJ sighed, squatting down to look at the scorch. Then, she cocked her head to the side a little.
"Wait a minute... guys, look!" Ahanu and I crouched next to her.
"What have you seen?" Ahanu asks.
"The scorch mark... they're tiny words; all burned on the floor."We all craned our heads to try and read the message. Ahanu began moving like he was watching his prey from behind tallgrass; like he knew exactly what he was doing.
"You have gone farther than anyone ever has before you. That is something to celebrate," he began to read, following the shape.
"Like we need his congratulations..." CJ muttered.
"However, it is not over yet. The journey always has to reach it's peak before it can end. The battle is almost over. I hope you and your men will be strong enough for the final round. Are you ready?"
Ahanu stopped in the centre. He stood up, suddenly ready to face the world.
"Ahanu, what is it?" I asked, not sure whether to approach him or not.
"We need my people. He wants a fight? We will give him one."

We made our way back up the tunnel (without any mice - yay!) and back to the Abenaki tribe. We were greeted with cheers and hollers by the people as Ahanu had returned. His grandmother, Catori, stepped into view, wearing a proud smile. Then she saw me, and looked confused.
"Ahanu, my son, why have you returned?" she asked.
"Nokemes, we need the people," he said with urgency.
"And you are sure? Did you feel it? The pakholigan?" she asked softly. Ahanu nodded. Then, Catori turned to face the crowd of curious people.
"Alsoda!"she cried, shooing them back to the tribe's centre.
We followed her into an enormous tent, where we were greeted by ten warriors. They sat on horses, looking fierce and really scary. I gulped as I looked up to them. CJ stood close to me, too. I could tell she was intimidated. Ahanu placed his hand on my shoulder.
"They know who you are, Geraty. It's okay," he assured me, ushering me into the tent. I saw the warriors follow us in. Catori sat on an animal hyde, looking very calm and serious. She asked the men to sit; then letting Ahanu take over. He talked to them firmly, which shocked me. Catori came over to CJ and I with a smile.
"He has trained with these warriors, you know. His father was once the chief of this tribe. That is why they listen to him."
"Seriously?!" I whispered in surprise.
"Yes. But... the Possessor came. He killed. He killed many of us. I took care of Ahanu; since he was only young, and have been helping the tribe until he is ready to lead. Although we do not usually have leaders; we need someone to keep the warriors in-line."
"I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think I was around at that time," CJ said.
Catori looked to her, walked in front of her, and then took off her right armband to reveal the 'owned' tattoo. CJ jerked in surprise.
"I thought so. You are one of his..." Catori simply said.CJ looked away in what looked like shame; but was really sadness.
"Do not be ashamed, child. We understand your pain."CJ managed to look into the old woman's kind eyes after a few more painful seconds.
"I want to fight. I want to have a second chance; even though I've already lost," she said, her face like stone.
"You are brave, CJ-"
There was a loud sound of crackling lightning coming from outside the tent. We all rushed out to find the people of the Abenaki looking over the edge of the shelf. They were staring at this ball of blue lightning over where the scorch-mark was. There was a dark figure.
"He's there," my words broke the stunned silence.
"Then that is our battle-ground," Ahanu added.

We all raced down to the Possessor. The ten warriors and Ahanu, CJ and I, were all on horseback. The tribe-men cried out in Abenaki, galloping towards him like there was no tomorrow. The Possessor raised his hands from the ground, creating horrific goons made of black, rippling smoke. They had no facial features or any other details - just humanoid, smoking goons. They all had one really long arm which they swung at the fighters. We had to quickly swerve our horses so they didn't get hit. CJ and I had been equipped with spears to help us fight; but they still weren't easy to use while riding.While Ahanu, his warriors and CJ thrashed and swung back at the goons, I decided to be bold and confront the Possessor. After all; I had nothing left to lose. I dismounted my white mare once I reached him, my spear gripped tight. He looked to me and smirked in his wicked way.
"Come here to face me, have you?" he mocked, bringing up three smoke goons; just for me. I growled, holding them back. Whilst I was fighting, I noticed something. The blue ball of lightning had something inside; something silver... I tried to get close enough - despite wrestling two goons at once!When I just got close enough, my eyes lit up in joy.
It was the keys!
Feeling more empowered with determination, I pushed away the goons and sprinted for my life to the orb. Suddenly, a goon appeared from the ground right in front of me, knocking me down. "GERATY!"I heard Ahanu cry out from the fray behind me. I tried to get up, but I felt a boot-heel pin my back down. The Possessor grabbed my right arm and twisted it behind me; making me grit my teeth in agony.
"Haven't you done enough to me?" I spat, craning my head as much as possible.
"It will never be enough!" he retaliated close to my face.Then, I felt the boot lift off my back - kind of abruptly. I looked to see that Ahanu had jumped off his horse; kicking the Possessor to the ground. He grabbed him by the neck and pulled him close to his dark face.
"If you hurt my Geraty again, I will tear you limb from limb, you disgusting man," he spat at him, throwing him to the ground again. The Possessor got to his feet quicker than I thought; ready to sparr with my protector. As they fought, I took my chances to get to the ball of electricity. Then, I paused for a moment, staring at its pulsing lights. Will I get shocked? How do I even grab the key?Suddenly, I saw a chunk of ice narrowly miss my head. I turned to see the Possessor with a reptillian grin. He had Ahanu by the neck this time, his ice creeping up my lover's dark skin!
"Let him go!" I cried. He laughed at me.
"This is not as easy as you think, Geraty. You cannot touch those keys until someone else has tried to reach them. But, if they do, they will be shocked and killed," he explained. I looked to the orb in desperation. How could I get to them? How?!
"Geraty... don't," I heard Ahanu choke out.
"Let him go. This isn't his fight," I growled at my rival.
With an 'ugh', the Possessor threw my lover to the floor. I raced over to him.
"Ahanu..." I sounded as he coughed and gasped for air like a fish out of water.
"Geraty, don't take those keys. There has to be another way," he cupped my face.
"But how?" I asked, my voice devoid of all hope at this point.
"Step aside," a familiar voice said.
We all looked up to see CJ dismounting her horse; spear in hand and fire in her eyes. The Possessor stared her down with a sickening grin.
"CJ, no! Don't you dare!" I cried, grabbing her wrist.
"Relax, dumby. I can fight him off while you figure this out," she winked at me. I hesitated.
"It's okay, Geraty. I wanna fight. I'm stronger than I look."
Reluctantly, I let her wrist go.
"How touching," the Possessor mocked, throwing ice at CJ. She reacted just in time; the ice coating her spear. She laughed humourlessly.
"I think I'm gonna enjoy this," she snarled, brawling with the Possessor.I helped Ahanu to his feet, handing him his spear.
"I'm going to hold off the creatures with my men. You go to Catori and figure out how to get past the orb," he told me, smacking a kiss on my lips and mounting his horse once more.I raced to grab my spear and mounted my own mare.
Then, to my horror, I watched CJ leap for the keys.
I vaulted off my mare, sprinting towards her. It almost felt like it was all happening in slow-motion.
"CJ!" I screamed.She looked back to me with tears and a smile.
"I finally did it," she said.
She reached into the orb, sending a blinding shockwave that even knocked down the Possessor and the other warriors.When my eyes readjusted to the area, the keys had been released...
... but CJ was gone.