Chapter Twenty-Three

"Okay so you leave for the road trip in three days for a little over a week how am I supposed to go without you for that long?" Riley asked Auston, not long before he left for his second last home game for a little over a week, against the Vegas Golden Knights.

"I think you'll be fine, baby, you've been without me for two weeks before." Auston said. Riley was being super clingy lately, and Auston was kind of getting annoyed with it, loved her, but the tone of his voice had changed toward her. 

"Barely." She scoffed. Auston did a fake little laugh and started walking towards the door, Riley bit her lip sadly and started walking towards their shared bedroom. His face softened as he realized he just sounded like a little bit of a jerk, and incredibly rude, he had been acting that way all week.

"Can you come fix my tie, I can't seem to get it, and it kind of looks like shit right now, can't walk into the arena like that, and somehow you always make it look better." Auston asked softly, although making sure Riley could hear him. Riley turned around, now with a little smile playing on her lips as she walked over to where he stood, at the front door in front of the half sized mirror. Auston turned to face her, Riley standing on her toes to reach the knot properly, loosening it and sliding it over to the right, tightening the back again, making it look perfect as Auston had previously said. "Thank you." 

"You're welcome, handsome." Auston leaned down and kissed Riley on the forehead.

"Are you coming tonight?" He asked, even though he was injured and unable to play, he still liked her coming to games.

"I wasn't planning on it, I have an assignment I need to finish for tomorrow." 

"Oh right school's a thing." He said in attempt to make a joke, this did make Riley let out a little laugh. 

"Yeah it is, now go before you're late." She said, almost pushing him out their apartment door. Riley went back to their room and sat on the made up bed with a binder, notebook, and her laptop sprawled out on top. Once she got some work done it was close to 7:00, game time. Not feeling like cooking she ordered some food off of Skip The Dishes and just ate that while doing some more work.

--

"I'm such a terrible boyfriend." Auston said as he, Mitch, and Andreas walked around the Scotiabank Arena not long before game time. Mitch and Andreas were stretching, Auston just didn't want to be lonely.

"Why what happened?" Mitch asked as he stretched one arm across his body, pushing it with the other.

"I've just been a jerk lately. Like, I feel like Riley's being super clingy lately and I think it's just because we're leaving for a little over a week and she'll miss me but like, it's getting old, and I've been a jerk to her instead of actually talking to her." Auston ran a hand through his hair, looking at the ground.

"Well what are you doing exactly to be a jerk?" Andreas asked as he pulled his right leg into his chest.

"I've been distant, haven't spoken that much and when I do it's just short answers, when we're going to sleep she'll try and cuddle and I'll make up an excuse to not and I just won't touch her and I don't know why. It's just stuff like that."  

"You don't know why?" Mitch asked, stopping what he was doing.

"No, I really don't." 

"Has anything happened with you guys lately? Like a fight or something ?" Mitch asked. Auston shrugged and shook his head.

"No, nothing that I can remember. I'm just scared because I love her so much, but I don't know what's going on, and if whatever it is, is gonna make her think that I don't love her, or if she even realizes what's going on." 

"She definitely realizes, she's a girl and I don't know what it is with them but they figure out everything." Andreas says.

"Mango when was the last time you had a girlfriend?" Mitch asked, continued to stretch. The three boys laughed together.

"That's besides the point we don't need to worry about that." He replied, again making the other two boys laugh a little once again.

"I don't know though am I over thinking this?" Auston asked after their little laughter died down. 

"I don't think so, you're worried about it which makes sense, stay the night with Riley and see how that goes, make sure she doesn't suspect anything without actually saying it." Mitch said to him, and the three started walking back to the change room.

"Yeah you should text her like now and see if she wants to chill and watch movies after the game." Andreas suggested. Auston nodded, his reply was only to pull out his phone and texted Riley immediately, asking her exactly what Mango had told him to do. 

She replied within two minutes agreeing, he didn't know but she couldn't stop smiling, she had felt everything that he did about the whole situation, only worse. She could feel Auston slipping away and she felt as if she couldn't do anything about it, she was now happy that they actually were hanging out.

~~

"That night was our last real hang out, after that night I said I love you to her one more time face to face, and that's the last memory I have of her, and I was a jerk for half of it." Auston told Caleb whilst they were in the interrogation room for the third time. 

"Bro I'm sorry. I know sorry isn't gonna fix everything, nowhere close to it--" Auston cut Caleb off with a slight scoff. "Anyway, I can imagine how that hurts, I don't know what to do." 

"Tell the cops where she is, please, that's the only thing you can do." Auston replied. 

"Switch with that big guy." Caleb said. Auston nodded, pushing his chair out and standing up, walking towards the door and knocking for the cops outside to open it. 

"He wants to see 'the big guy'" Auston quoted, making eye contact with Randy. 

"Very well." Randy said, walking into the room. Auston stood outside and listened in. 

"57 Wellbrooke Road." Was all Caleb said.