Chapter 3 - In Loving Memory; The Ashes

Bright light flooded Clement's vision as his eyes finally peeled open. His sight was blurry and the occasional jostle of the cart on which he was placed didn't help his recovery either. His eyes screwed shut tightly as he let his body adjust to the new situation he had been placed in.

Clement's eyes fluttered open again as he stared at the scenery around him, trying to get an idea of where he was at. Large leaves covered the sky, yet the sunlight was still able to slip through the cracks and brighten the forest. Colourful creatures dashed through the treetops, though they did stop to stare at the incoming pixies with their wizard hostages. The smell wasn't horrible either. Instead of the excrement of animals, Clement smelt the scent of wood and a touch of the flowers that bloomed among the patches of grass. He shifted from his laying position with some difficulty as his body was bound in vines.

Where am I? he thought quietly, noting down the extremely solid fact that Volu mountain was nowhere in the range of his sight.

He took another deep breath, letting the cool air seep into his lungs and wash away the dust particles that came from the summer heat. A thought struck his little head, making him grin brightly even amongst the perilous situation.

He was fourteen, and (fortunately) not dead.

Clement sat there for a bit, letting the joy seep into his bones before turning his attention to the situation at hand. He glanced at the pixies, who seemed deep into a conversation or maybe even an argument, judging by the anger in their eyes. Clement decided the best course of action would be to wake his sister Victoria, who was still unconscious on the other end of the cart they were on.

The teen pushed himself forward with his legs, scooting closer to the other edge as he tried to make the least amount of sound possible and maybe also not fall off the cart. His body scraped against the rough wooden surface with every movement. Victoria's eyes were shut thight and she looked to be in deep slumber. Clement raised a leg and nudged her, causing the girl to groan.

Clement rolled his eyes and tried to shake her awake, but that just resulted in his leg getting smacked. Tori! Please wake up! he pleaded in his mind. He shook her even harder and she let out a small yelp but didn't wake. Even worse, the pixies heard the noise coming from Victoria and turned to face Clement.

"The deaf one?" Chance narrowed her dark orange eyes, keeping her fiery gaze on the petrified wizard.

Runi nodded. "I'm pretty sure. He didn't reply to me and moved his hands in a way that I presume to be sign language. Of course, I don't really know for sure. Gods know I am not a good listener. But you should try," he quipped. "You did learnt sign language, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Yes... I did. Well, here goes nothing," Chance sighed. She didn't really know how to speak to a captive- who speaks to a captive? Normally what she expects is a good kick in the groin, and all is done. But signing to a hostage? That was out of her zone, but with hesitation (and after slicing off enough vines for Clement to be able to sign), she caved in, using her hands to gesture a simple word; Hello.

Clement stared at her for a bit before finally replying. You know sign language? Can you speak fluently? He felt awed; he didn't know pixies knew sign language. I mean, of course you do. Sorry. He added when Chance gave him a cold stare. It was rare for wizards to know proper sign language, and from his area of knowledge and observation, only those close to his family knew sign language back in the city.

Well thank goodness I can. Runi would suffer without a translator- I master 20 different languages and their basics. So it wouldn't be that hard when travelling abroad and meeting foreign species... Chance replied begrudgingly. I also learnt it because one of my friends was mute.