Telepathic

Ron being in charge was an interesting idea, but here we were, a somber presence hanging like a wet blanket over us. We had our mission- either save her by getting the Carnivore programming offline or kill her. There was no in between. We all knew this. I looked around at our team we had assembled, from Thomas to Sioban, Brock and Adam, Captain Burnley's group, and Ron standing in charge of all of us. We all stood in battle gear, different from the Astro-fighters gear from Alexi.

We were in black, with vests that protected us from Carnivore claws, black shirts that protected against high concentration of the guns of the FEC that were to cut through bone, pants made of heavier material than the shirts, and belts that held an array of compact weaponry that was easier to grab that our bigger backups that we all carried on our backs in hosters.

Then, finally, we all wore jackets with our Messenger numbers. I looked down at mine, the 3301 staring back up at me. I glanced to Thomas who now had the honor of being a full Engineer, 3302. I smiled softly at the idea that we would be working together when we got home. When we all got home.

"We go in, we get Shaylee, we get out. If she can't calm down, we sedate her and get her back to the base. There, we either break her or..." Ron's voice cracked. "Or we kill her." We all looked down, not wanting to acknowledge that as a possibility. It would kill any of us if we had to be the ones behind the trigger.

"If... if we have to do it, who is going to... who will actually pull... pull the trigger?" Brock looked around at each of us. We all shook our heads.

"It would have to be me." We all looked to Ben. His eyes met ours. "I would do it. I couldn't let any of you. My team did not know her that well, and you all wouldn't have the strength to. I would do it." I closed my eyes, not wanting to think of the possibility that Shaylee could die today.

"Thank you," I said quietly, not looking up. Ben nodded, putting his hand on my shoulder.

We all stood outside the small compound where they were holding Shay. We focused on Ron and Ben's orders, moving quickly through the building.

"Split up," Ben ordered. "Dustin, you're with me." The two of us branched off to go to another part of the facility, watching each other's backs. It was silent. No guards, no Carnivores. Nothing.

"It's quiet," I whispered.

"It's too quiet," Ben corrected, vigilant as ever. I continued to follow behind him. We soon found ourselves in a large room, a little bit of light coming in from a giant hole in the roof. It didn't seem like a secured building, but it was inconspicuous enough. Perfect to hide their favorite weapon.

"Nice of you to finally join us, Captain. How's the missus?" The Commander. Shaylee's father. Sean Diaz. Ben's froze, causing me to bump into him.

"Where are you coward? Show yourself!" Ben yelled, moving around the circular room, searching the darkness for the man. I knew he planned to tear apart the man who took his wife from him.

"And Doctor Bates. Lovely to see you again. I have someone else who will be pleased to see you, as well." The lights came up. Commander Diaz stood up on a balcony that overlooked the entire room. Three Carnivores flanked him. More stepped out from the archways around the top of the room where the balcony was. Then, a few stood at the doorways the opened to the room, stopping us from coming out. I gasped.

Team, get out now. It's an ambush. I sent out through the mental link.

We saw Carnivores and got out. We couldn't get through to you two. We needed to call for backup. The place is crawling with them. There is a complete second base under the compound. Backup will be here in a bit. They can't do much to you other than kill you. Ron replied, his worry audible in his head.