Act 1: Scene 2

In Hell, Satan- I mean, Trigon, was talking to Fùqiáng, a filthy rich Demon. And, oh boy, was he rich.

"Ra's Al Ghul has sworn the same oath I have, and is bound by the same penalty. I don’t think it should be hard for men as old as us to remain peaceful."

Fùqiáng nodded at Trigon's statement. And replied: "You both have honorable reputations. It’s a pity you’ve been enemies for so long. But, now, my lord: how do you respond to my request?"

"By repeating what I’ve said before. My child is still extremely young. She’s not even fourteen years old. Let’s allow two more summers to pass before we consider her ready for marriage."

"Girls who are younger than your daughter have become happy mothers."

"Girls who marry that young grow up too quickly." He groaned. "But you may woo her. Win her love. My permission for you to marry her is only part of the bargain; she must also agree to marry you. Then my blessing on the marriage will confirm her choice. This very night I’m throwing a party that I’ve hosted for many years. I’ve invited many guests, many close friends. I’d like to invite you as a most welcome guest. At my humble home tonight, you’ll see see young women like stars that walk the earth and light the sky from below. Like all lusty young men, you’ll be delighted by the young women who are as fresh as spring flowers. Look at them all, and choose whichever woman you like best. Amidst all these girls, you may no longer think that my daughter’s the most beautiful. Come with me."

They began walking, but before they left, Trigon handed a paper to Gerō, a serving man." Go, sir, walk all around the place. Find the people whose names are on this list and tell them they’re invited to my house tonight."

Gerō nodded and Trigon and Fùqiáng walked away.

"Find the people whose names are on this list? It’s written that shoemakers and tailors should use each others’ tools, and that fisherman should play with paints while painters should play with with fishing nets. But now I’ve been sent to find the people on this list, and I can’t read. I’ll have to ask somebody educated to help me."

He went to the mortal land to find some educated fellows. He turned his head and saw Damian Al Ghul and Mara Al Ghul speaking.

"Come on, Damian. Starting a new fire will put out the old one. An old pain is lessened by the arrival of a new one. If you make yourself dizzy, you can cure yourself by spinning in the other direction. A new grief will cure an old one. Stare obsessively at some new girl, and your former lovesickness will disappear."

"The plantain leaf is excellent for that."

"For what?"

"For treating your injured shin."

"Why, Damian, have you gone crazy?"

"No, though I’m bound more tightly than any mental patient is. I’m locked in a prison without food. I’m whipped, tortured."

He saw Gerō walking towards them, and decided to greet him.

"Good evening, good fellow."

"A blessed good evening to you. Excuse me, sir, do you know how to read?"

"Yes. I can read my fortune in my misery."

"Perhaps you’ve memorized it. But, I beg your answer, can you read anything you see?"

"Yes, if I know the letters and the language."

"You speak honestly. Have a nice day."

"Stay, man. I can read." Damian was given the letter and spoke the names aloud. " “Signor Martino and his wife and daughters; Count Anselme and his gorgeous sisters; Vitravio’s widow; Signor Placentio and his lovely nieces; Richard Grayson and his brothers Tim Drake and Jason Todd; my uncle Trigon and his eight offsprings; Emiko Queen and Livia; Signor Valentio; Lucio and the lively Helena.” That’s quite a lovely group of people. Where are they supposed to go?"

"Down."

"Where?"

"To supper. To our house."

"Whose house?"

"My master's house."

"Indeed, I should have asked you that earlier."

"I’ll tell you so that you don’t have to ask. My master is Trigon The Terrible. And as long as you are not an assasin, I invite you to come and drink a cup of wine at our house. Have a nice day!" He ran off to find the invited guests.

Mara tapped Damian's shoulder, as to get his attention. "Emiko whom you love so much is going to attend Trigon's traditional feast," said Mara. "along with all the beautiful woman of the world. Go there and, without bias, compare her to some of the girls I’ll point out to you. I’ll show you that the woman you think is as beautiful as a swan is in fact as ugly as a crow."

Damian cocked an eyebrow. "If my eyes ever show me such a lie about the woman they worship," said Damian "then may my tears turn into flames. That way my eyes, which never drowned in all my tears, may be burned for being such clear liars! A woman more beautiful than my love? The sun has never seen anyone as beautiful since the world began."

"Oh come on." Mara groaned "You decided she was beautiful when no one else was around and there was no one to compare her to except herself. But if instead you compare her to some other beautiful woman who I’ll point out to you at this feast, you’ll see that she’s far from the best."

Damian sighed. "I'll go along with you—not to look at other women, but to rejoice in my love's beauty." Said Damian, as they walked away.