Chapter 7 - A Night Together

Notes: This is my favorite chapter that I've written so far.

--------

I took out my camera to show John. He was immediately mesmerized by all of the knobs and buttons that were on it. Especially the digital display on the back. I hadn't even turned on the camera and he was already asking a million questions about what each of the buttons did.

"Well, that's the zoom. This one adjusts the brightness and this one adjusts how open the lens is. You can control pretty much anything you want to with this camera. And if you know what you're doing, you can take some amazing pictures." I was pointing out all the buttons to him. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. I loved talking about photography and to get to do it with someone that I knew also shared my passion was a great feeling.

"My camera only has zoom and focus. And maybe a little bit to do with brightness," he explained. I chuckled and opened my mouth to speak. "I know," he held his hand up to stop me. "Technology." He chuckled as he talked. I laughed as well. He was getting to know me and the future very well now. Enough to finish my sentences for me, at least.

"Here, I'll turn it on so you can really see what it looks like." I pressed the power button and the digital display lit up as it turned on. He watched the screen as it showed what the camera was seeing.

"Wow," he whispered. "You don't even have to put your eye up to the eyepiece."

"Well, you can if you want to. But, you don't have to anymore." I looked at the digital display and started to adjust everything to the correct settings. John watched me as I explained what I was doing. His eyes never left my hands and the camera. Once everything was perfectly adjusted, for the time being, I handed the camera over to John. "Do you want to take some photos?" I asked. Nudging the camera over to him. He nodded.

I took the strap off my neck and softly placed it over his head. He bowed his head down a little to make it easier for me. The strap laid against his neck with his hair in-between the two. I started to reach for his hair to pull it out from underneath the strap but stopped.

"May I?" I asked.

"Yes, go ahead." He replied with a smile. I handed him the camera and softly laced my fingers around his hair. It was so soft against my fingertips. I leaned in closer to him as I finished grabbing all of his hair in my hands. He smelled of the mint and rosemary conditioner that I had in the shower. It smelled wonderful on him. I was close enough to hug him. To feel his chest on mine. I just needed to close the small gap between us. But instead, I flicked his hair out from underneath the strap and sat back on the blanket. I internalized a sigh as he brought the camera up to his face to fully inspect the piece of technology.

"You can take a picture of anything you want," I informed.

"Where's the button again?" he asked, looking for the shutter button to take the picture.

"Oh, it's right here." His finger was so close to the button that I just placed my fingers on top of his and moved it to the right spot. I pulled my hand away quickly and I saw a small smile on John's face. He put his face up to the eyepiece, opting to use it. He started taking pictures of the park. One after another. I sat and watched him for a while. I saw him attempt to use the zoom. It took him a couple of tries before he got the hang of it. Zooming in on some trees and people to take close-up shots of them.

After watching him for a while, I reached back into my enormous camera bag and pulled out another camera. One that I kept with me at all times for moments just like these. It was a bubble gum pink polaroid camera. I turned it one and waited for John to take another picture. As he pressed his finger down, I lined up my shot and pressed down to take a picture of him. He heard the loud click and quickly removed his face from the camera to look at me.