Chapter Forty-Three

Despite how angry I was at Tommy and Nikki, I had woken up in a very good mood. For the first time in a while, I felt happy and felt free. I wasn't even taking a moment to consider either men, or even allowing the thought of them appear in my mind. Like I had said, I was done with the pair of them. And fucking hell, it felt good. Quickly getting myself dressed for the day ahead, I walked out of my room and down the hallway. Surprisingly, everyone was up. Mick was just walking outside the back door, Vince was quietly talking to the lady he had picked up last night, Angry was leaning over the kitchen bench reading the newspaper and Tommy? He was sat on the lounge just staring into space. He looked like shit, like he hadn't been sleeping. Well, he sure as hell wasn't sharing the bed with me last night. So god knows who he bunked with or if he slept out on the lounge.

"Well look at you." Angry commented, taking off his reading glasses. "You look lovely sweetheart." Angry complimented with a smile.

"Uh, thanks." I gave him a small smile.

"How are you feeling?" Angry asked, raising an eyebrow as he tugged off his reading glasses.

"Better than ever." I nodded, my small smile growing. "Free."

"Good for you." Angry nodded. "Look, we gotta talk." Angry's face grew dark and sulking.

"Not now. I actually want to have a good day." I waved him off, leaving the kitchen and towards the dining room and lounge room. Snatching the car keys and my purse on the way through, I ignored Tommy as I opened the front door, leaving without another word to anyone. I had a spring in my step and I didn't want anyone to fuck it up. I was too happy for someone to mess up my day.

Getting into the drivers side of the car, I shoved the key into the ignition and turned it. The sound of the car engine rumbled to life, making me smile twice as much.

Reversing out of the driveway, I pulled out onto the road and started my journey to work. Turning up the volume of the radio, I found myself singing along to Suzi Quatro's Devil Gate Drive.

'Hey, you all want to go down to Devil Gate Drive?
Well, come on!

Welcome to 'The Dive'!'

This sure was a good day so far. Woke up on the right side of the bed, good tunes to sing to on the way to work. I didn't have a weight on my shoulders, I was loving life.

'Well, at the age of five they can do their jive
Down in Devil Gate Drive
And at the age of six they're gonna get their kicks
Down in Devil Gate Drive
Well your mama don't know where your sister done go
She gone down to the Drive. She's the start of the show
And let her move on up. Let her come let her go.
She can jive
Down in Devil Gate Drive'

Looking in my rear vision mirror, I spotted the very recognizable dark blue shaggin' wagon racing up behind me. Pulling out onto the opposite side of the road, passing me by, was Hunter and Dara. I thought my music was loud, no, it wasn't even remotely close to being loud. I could hear their music loud and clear.

'It's criminal
There ought to be a law
Criminal
There ought to be a whole lot more
You get nothin' for nothin'
Tell me who can you trust
We got what you want
And you got the lust
If you want blood, you got it
Blood on the streets
Blood on the rocks
Blood in the gutter
Every last drop
You want blood
You got it
Yes you have'

With a smile, I peered over to Hunter and Dara. Dara was head banging and Hunter was looking over to me with a smirk. Without a word spoken, Hunter gave me the finger and sped off, pulling back into my lane and speeding off. Leaving me in dust.