Chapter 3

We begin to walk. We walk down abandoned side streets and past houses full of raving teens. Kira looks down a t her phone. I remember when we got our phones. Christine found three phones in the dumpster and fixed them so they would work. she is he smartest of our group. " I think we walked enough", says Kira. ‘‘ Its 12:30 in the morning". We decide to climb a tree and sleep there. We each find a sturdy branch and fall asleep.

We wake up the next morning, careful not to fall out of the tree. '' We're half a mile away from Oakland.", she says. We climb down the tree and damage our bags for something to eat. We find some granola bars and water. We sit at the base of the tree and eat our small amount of food. We stand and start to walk once more.

30 minutes later...

We see a clearing ahead of us after about thirty minutes of walking. ‛‛Here it is", says Kira , pointing to the building in front of us. "I'm tired ”, whines Christine. ‛‛ It's only 3o clock," I say. We walk into the building. It looks just like the picture. Old, beaten, run-down yet still somehow pretty. We walk inside. It has three old mattresses and blankets and a small fireplace. Perfect. Christine looks through a cabinet for matches. Finding a box, she places them beside her bed in case we need them. '' It's dusty in there," mutters Christine. I decide to look in the other cabinets. Then, something falls out of the cabinet and lands of the floor. Kira and Christine jump. I look down. It's a scroll. The others walk over to me and I pick up the scroll and read it out loud. It says: If silence is golden, then words must be godly. How else can two people meet, regardless of moment. Find another scroll in the city where nature performs wonders where the river rushes. There will be great danger yet great reward if you follow what I say, but, no one else shall know.

There is silence until I say, "What are we going to do?"   "Follow the scroll", Kira says.

Disclaimer: I do not own the poem! :-)