Chapter 10

I quickly set the table and put the food on the plate. I wash my hands and race upstairs to my room. I pull out all of my textbooks from my backpack and sit at my desk, opening my notebook to a new page to start my homework. Instead of actually doing my homework, technically I pretend, I'm to busy listening to my surroundings, waiting nervously for him to call me this time, again. I hear shuffling, then a loud groan emerges from his mouth.

"Beatrice!!," he shouts.

I squeeze my pencil really hard, my fingers turning a light shade of purple. I stand up and open the door. Don't talk back, I tell myself before I say anything stupid. I walk slowly down the stairs, with each step their is a new sound of creak the floorboards make. Bud slouches against the wall finishing what's left in his beer bottle. He sees me and immediately starts yelling.

"What the fuck is this!"

"Whats what?," I say.

"The mail came in."

"Shit," I mumble under my breathe.

"This was in it," he says holding up a piece of mail. I look at it closely and I for god's sake it had to be my report card.

"I can explain," I say with my voice shaky.

"You. You Are not going to explain anything," he slurrs and starts approaching me.

I back up all the way to where the wall is. I hit my head against it and touch the spot lightly, doesn't seem like it did any damage. With every step he takes the floorboards follow his rhythm, until he is too close for me to smell his alcoholic breathe.

"You are failing your classes," he says.

"Its only one class," I say.

He throws the glass bottle to the other side of the room and into the wall. I jump hitting my head against the wall again, this time it's more painful than before. Glass is everywhere, you'd have to be even more careful to watch where you step.

"Don't talk to me like that, I'm not your pet," he says through his teeth. "Im going to teach you a lesson."

I don't have time to react for as he grabs me by the hair with force and pulle me into the kitchen. He turns me around and puts me in the face up position. The curved metal instrument was just above my eyes, I am in the sink.

"Wait!," I start, but water slashes on my face.

The water starts going up my nose. The sensation is horrible, I feel it in my throat, burning. I want to scream but if I do it will only make it worse, so I hold my breathe and close my eyes. I try pushing him off, but he's too strong. There isn't much time for me to breathe and the water starts dripping down to my shirt. I'm becoming hazy when the water stops.

I open my eyes and a little droplet of water splashes in between my nose. He pulls me up from my hair again rapidly and I start coughing. I don't have time to react, a throbbing pain goes through my left eye and I scream in pain.

"Shut up bitch, you want complaints from the neighbors!," he whisper yells.

I shut up immediately and I hold my eye. He grabs me by my now wet shirt and launches me towards the ground. I don't have a lot of force and I fall on the ground. He starts kicking me saying,"You like that! It's what you deserve." I keep trying not to scream in pain, every time his foot connects with my body I feel a burning sensation and I can't let out my screams because gangs will come over carrying guns telling us to shut the hell up as they've done it many times before. He stops and grabs me again, this time I'm too weak to respond. He gives me a disgusted look and releases me.