Chapter Nine

"All aboard! " the train conductor shouted, the whistle of the engine piercing the morning air. 

     "Alright m' lady, you've each got a sandwich, and I've thrown in a bit of cheese in case ya get peckish." Mrs. Beadle said in a rush, pulling Cordelia's shawl tighter around her shoulders. "Are ya sure ya have to go?" Cordelia looked into the older woman's face, seeing the worried look that pulled her bright red eyebrows together.

     "I'm sure, Mrs. Beadle, this is something I have to do," Cordelia assured her, picking up her suitcase and getting ready to mount the train. Mrs. Beadle reached out and lowered Cordelia's face down to her own, Cordelia smiled at her familiar smell of flour and spices. A kiss was firmly planted on Cordelia's forehead, and with that, she realized it was time to go. 

     "You there," Mrs. Beadle shouted, "you're gonna make 'er carry her bag all by 'erself?" She yelled, causing her victim to jump in his shoes. Charles hurried over, picking up Cordelia's heavy bag as if it was as light as a feather, earning a contented "harumph" from Mrs. Beadle. "I suppose that means it's time, then," she said in response to a bell ringing, signaling for all passengers to board immediately. She snuck in a final kiss and sent Cordelia and her travel companion off on their ways. 

     On the train, Cordelia was guided by the attendant to her cabin, which was across the aisle from Charles'. The uniformed attendant situated her with the rest of her belongings, and informed her that a cart with light refreshments would be brought around as soon as the train began its journey. Across the aisle, she heard a loud bang, followed by a slew of swears that she'd only previously heard uttered by sailors. Peering out from her cabin door, she saw a grumpy Charles, covered in clothing from his suitcase, which was splayed out on the floor. Cordelia tried her best to stifle her laughter but it was no use, the suitcase must have fallen from its shelf before Charles could've secured it there, and her companion was already developing a red welt on his head from the impact.

     "I can hear you laughing, you know," he accused, his hands on his hips in feigned anger. "It's not...well, it is a little humorous, I suppose." With that, he began to join in the laughter, the two of them standing like idiots in the aisle of the train, one of which happened to have an unraveled bowtie and a spare sock on his shoulder. 

     "I'm sorry, you agreed to help me and here I am laughing at you. If we're being honest, however, I'm in very good need of a laugh right now, so thank you for supplying it." Charles shook his head and rolled his eyes, starting to throw his belongings back in his case. "You're not packing it back up like that, are you? You'll ruin your clothes if you do it like that!" She exclaimed, rushing to his cabin to help him fold and sort through the mess he'd made. 

     "You really don't have to do that Cordelia, I was happy to help you. Besides," he started, bending down to properly fold his clothes with her, "I have business I can attend to while we're in town." At that, Cordelia arched an eyebrow, looking at him curiously.

     "What kind of business?" She questioned, cleaning up the last of the clothes, dusting a fleck of dirt from a handkerchief that had brushed against the floor of the cabin. Charles laughed and shook his head.

     "Nosy now, aren't we?" He said, causing Cordelia to blush and turn away. "Relax, Cordelia, I'm just teasing. I have a friend in London-well, a friend of my father's to be exact. Whenever I'm in town we get together and smoke fine tobacco, discuss books, and sample from his exquisite wine collection. I know you have business of your own with your mother, but if you'd fancy joining us, friends are always welcome at Lord Elderwood's table."

     Cordelia lightly smiled at the invitation, but Charles' mention of her dealings with her mother caused her eyebrows to draw together and a frown to form at her lips. What would it be like, she wondered, seeing her mother for the first time in years?