Chapter 13

It's been only two days since we've left, and nothing good has happened. Demitri is on a hunt and the news is keeping in his tail. Which helps us know how close he is to us so we can run. Helena and Mercy have been in the bathroom for a little over a half hour practicing her skills discreetly while I tend to Raven. I turn the news on and see if any other news has come up.
BREAKING NEWS: Four found dead
I read and I turned up the volume to hear the man on the screen talk.
"Four bodies have been found with teeth marks in there necks and we can only suspect who that is causing this." He says confirming everyone's suspicions without actually saying his name. I turn the tv off and knock on the door. Helena opens it just a smudge and has sweat dripping down her forehead.
"Four bodies." I whisper. She nods her head and closes the door, I stand besides it for a moment and hear a zap and a giggle following after. I smile knowing Mercy still feels normal and lay back down and fall asleep besides Raven.
I jolt out of my sleep and onto the floor, I pick myself up this rusty colored floor and turn towards the culprit. She giggles and runs out the front door, I panic and chase after her, I watch her run down the stairs and into Helena's legs, she keeps herself standing and turns around and I see Raven besides her. I calm down and close the door behind me and walk down the stairs.
"Time to go." Helena says. I nod my head and grabs Mercy and hold Helena's hand. The hush of wind almost knocks me off my feet but stay planted where I left them. I open my eyes and look around the new hotel we are in. I look out the window and nothing surrounds us, nobody is even here. I turn back to Helena who does her normal sweep in the hotel and locks and closes everything.
"Where are we now?"
"Still in California just now I'm the desert, this is an abandoned hotel, don't worry, everything's going to be clean and new." She says and turns towards the room and blows dust out of her hand and everything turns sleek and new. A crib is in front of the bed and I lay Raven down and give her a bottle. Mercy sits at the desk and begins coloring. Helena opens her bag on the bed and begins searching for something inside.
"Mommy look what I drew!" Mercy shouts jumping off the chair and running up to me.
"It's us, you, daddy, Raven, and me! We're a family!" She says handing it to me. I stare down at the sloppy images of of and smiles sheepishly at the figures she drew.
"It's beautiful, I'll cherish this forever Mercy." I smile and kiss the top of her head, she runs back to the desk and starts coloring in another blank page.
"When's daddy coming?" Mercy asks still coloring in her paper.
"It's just us for now babe. Like a vacation." I tell her.
"Daddy says princess don't get breaks, we have to serve." She says looking up trying to think back to whatever Demitri tells her.
"Well you are just Mercy around me, no princess."
"I'm not a princess?" She asks dropping her crayon.
"You are but around me you can be anything you want to be." Her face brightens and she picks up the crayon and nods her head.
"I miss daddy and my other mommy." Mercy says, it hurts mowing she still thinks of Corella as her mother but what am I supposed to do? Tell her that she isn't, that's all she's known for the last five years. I turn back towards Helena and see she's found what she was looking for.
"This is my bracelet. Incase anything happens while I'm gone, call for me, I'll be back within seconds."
"What no, you can't leave." I announce feeling the blood rush to my head.
"I just need to do something, please we don't have time, just stay here and watch the news fill me in in where they are." She says walking out the door with her bag. I run out the door watching her walk into the parking lot.
"Be safe please!" I shout watching her disappear as she keeps walking away. I walk back into the room locking the door behind me and staring at it trying to not freak out. I lean against the door my palms open and take a deep breath, I push off the door and turn on the tv clicking through channels till I find the news. Apparently he has been seen since earlier, where could he be? I keep the tv on while I take an all to quick shower and feed the girls. I prep them for bed and get Raven to bed first. I lay down in the bed with Mercy in my arms rubbing her arm as she cuddles into me.
"Mommy?" She whispers staring at the cartoons on the tv.
"Yes baby?"
"Is daddy mad at you?" She asks.
"Why do you think that?"
"I saw daddy on tv, he looked mad mommy." She says, I move her hair from my face and keep rubbing her arm softly.
"Baby everything's okay."
"I wish daddy was here." She mumbles slowly falling asleep against me. I keep rubbing her till I hear her soft little snores. I cover her with blankets and sit up in the bed and flick back on the news. Still nothing about his whereabouts. Where is he hiding? What does he know? I turn the tv off and slide under the blankets holding Mercy close to me. She's one of the biggest things in my life. My existence is for her and Raven, what else would I live for, the only love I carry is for them. She smells like flowers and the got chocolate she drank today. Her soft curls against the pillow, her small fingers curled around my hand. My twin in life, who couldn't be anything like me. She may look like me but she's her fathers daughter sure enough. I just hope in the end, she'll choose me.