prologue

Legends say all we need to know,at times. No matter how unrealistic they may seem at first hearing,no matter how long the story is. If one listens carefully they'll find elements of truth in some folk tale of any population.
Moana had always believed in those tales everyone considered silly to believe about,but she had always been fascinated by each one that was told her,every evening in the fale tale cuddled against her animal friend's soft fur. He was a creature Moana couldn't explain ; his small body was covered in sun-golden fur,he had large brown eyes that were her own color,he had large ears and a long swaying tail with a slightly darkened tuft of fur at the end of it. Moana had called him Nalu for the first days where they had found him inconscious in the forest near Motunui,their Island.
And his name had been Nalu until he had woken up and Moana found out he was able to comunicate with her...being the curious girl she always was she hadn't been frightened by that. She was overall excited about that,but it wasn't explicable how they were able to talk and understand each other. But anyways,he had told her his name was Simba,and Moana had spent a few hours trying to memorize that name and soon GOT used to not calling him Nalu. Then she had asked him what kind of creature he was,the cub answered he was a lion,and Moana didn't recall hearing of this kind of animal
"We have hens,pigs...but what is a lion?" She had asked. Simba had shrugged "i am one." He answered "we're like big pigs i guess... only we've got sharp teeth and claws...a-and we hunt." Moana nodded "so like...those bigger birds that try stealing our chicken?"
Simba had looked rather insulted "Lions don't steal" he said "we hunt our own food. Hawks and vultures eat what we leave of our prey.
"Oh..." She had said "you promise not to eat Pua or Heihei-? They're my pig and my chicken..."
Simba had looked at her "well,i guess i won't if they're yours."
"What do you mean?"
"You've been nice to me,and i want to repay your kindness." He had said "of course, if you'll let me."
"You mean let you stay?" Simba had just stared at her for a moment, waiting for her answer. "I'm sure my mom and dad will let you stay. Also we've got so much space for everyone!" She had said cheerfully "i already like you,you know?"