Chap 6: gone dark

Jaebum watches Youngjae complete the agility course, jumping over the wooden wall, crawling under the barbed wire. He was quick, Jaebum would give him that. Was a lot further ahead than the rest of his men, clearly a very fit man.

"He's impressive, I'll give him that." Jackson comes up beside him, stop watch in his hand.

"Yeah I suppose, but it doesn't mean anything unless he fixes his attitude. I want my men to respect me, listen to my every order without taking back. Youngjae needs to learn that if he wants to stay in my team." As he speaks, his eyes never leave Youngjae, watching him like a hawk.

"You need to loosen up First Sergeant, Youngjae's a good solider. There's no point in denying it, the kids clearly talented." Jackson nods his head, glancing down at the timer.

Jaebum scoffs, rolling his eyes as he monitors Youngjae. He was close to the finish line, now climbing the high rope to the balcony which he then needed to jump off by swinging on a rope. Youngjae uses all the strength he has left to lift himself up, groaning once he reaches the top. He glances over to see Jackson and Jaebum standing by the finish line. He smirks when he sees Jaebum staring at him, giving him a small wink as he grabs the rope. He jumps forward, swinging in the air. He lets go as he nears the ground, doing a roll as he lands. Getting up, he runs to the finish line, panting as he crosses it. Jackson stops the timer, smiling at him.

"Well done private, you did that in rather an impressive time." Jackson pats his back, offering him his admiration.

Youngjae nods his head, lurching over as he attempts to catch his breath. He glances at Jaebum, him staring down at him with an unreadable expression.

"Well done private, I expect you to do better next time seeing as you are so keen to impress." Jaebum tilts his head to the side.

Youngjae suppresses a groan, subtly rolling his eyes in annoyance. Just as he's about to speak, the rest of the team come up behind up. Bambam collapses to the ground as he gets to the end, Mark shakes his head as he watches Bambam exhausted on the floor. Yugyeom rests his hands on his knees, wiping his forehead.

"Well done soldiers, you all did very well. I am very impressed with you all." Jackson smiles at them.

"Thank you sir." They all say in unison.

As Jaebum was about to speak, Jinyoung comes from behind him.

"Captain Wang, First Sergeant Im I need to talk to you both. Soldiers." He nods to the four of them who immediately salute him, Bambam quickly getting off the floor.

"Sir." They stand up straight, feet together.

"Alright soldiers, you can go back to the barracks. You've done enough training for today, get some rest as tomorrow will be even harder." Jaebum stares at Youngjae before he and Jackson walk off with Jinyoung.

"Yay! No more training, let's go get something to eat I'm fucking starving." Bambam cheers, arms wrapping around Yugyeom's and Youngjae's necks.

"God Bambam, when are you never not hungry." Mark rolls his eyes, shaking his head.

"Hey, it's hard work being a solider. I need all the energy I can get. Where not all like little Youngjae here, somehow talented at everything he does." Bambam pushes Youngjae's head forward, laughing.

"Wish Jaebum saw it that way, never seems to be able to give me a single fucking compliment." Youngjae ruffles his hair, beginning to walk to the canteen with the boys.

Jaebum sits in Jinyoung's office, Jackson beside him as Jinyoung informs them of a new development in their mission.

"So, it seems as though the last survivors have been taken in by the neighbouring army camp. It appears that the sickness has grown worse, more people in the camp have gotten sick. They have sent out an alert for a plane to come and collect those who are infected. It was a code red, they had sent it out two days ago but we only received it this morning. We've been trying to reach them with no luck, it appears they have gone dark." Jinyoung leans forward as he rests against his table.

"What does that mean for our mission then?" Jaebum cocks his head.

"It means that I need you to leave first thing tomorrow morning. This is more serious than we thought, an entire base has gone dark. We don't have any time to waste, we need to find out what happened. We can't lose an entire base of soldiers, something clearly has happened and you need to find out what. I will give you more men to come with you on your mission, I will tag along as well. In all my years of service nothing like this has ever happened, we've never lost contact with a base like this before especially straight after sending a red alert signal. So, I suggest you get your men ready. We are leaving at the crack of dawn, no later, I'm not wasting valuable time waiting for your men." The tone in his voice emphasised how serious this was.

Jaebum and Jackson exchange a glance, both thinking the same thing. Something bad has happened to the army base in Syria and what ever it was has caused a blackout in the entire camp. And they were heading right towards whatever it was that may of destroyed an entire u.s military camp with hundreds of army soldiers. Jaebum just hoped it wasn't as bad as they thought, because otherwise this was serious. If this sickness entered America, millions of people will die. And Jaebum wasn't about to let that happen, he was going to make sure to find out what this sickness was and how to stop it from spreading. He just prayed it wasn't to late to save the poor soldiers at the base, they were good men there.

.....
Yay!! Finally updated. Love you 😍 and will update soon xx