Chapter Fifty-one

We arrived in Paris at around three in the morning. The city lights were amazing. I understood why they called it the City of Lights. I would find out later that it had nothing to do with modern lighting but instead referred to all the gas lamps, in the olden days. I still thought it was spectacular.

Kitty and her brother did come along on the trip. I slept most of the way in the private jet. I didn't think I would, but I guess I was exhausted. I hadn't slept much the past few nights. I had been too hyped up to sleep at home. Now, I was getting nervous.

A car met the plane and took us to the hotel so that we could get settled. I was surprised but thankful that Kitty and I didn't share a room. I wanted my space. I couldn't sleep, so I went outside and watched the city come awake. I love watching people anyway, but in this city, I got to see people and things that this country bumpkin had never seen before. I was in heaven.

Kitty and Brad came looking for me around eight. I learned that her brother's name was Brad...well, actually Bradley. He looked like a Bradley, I thought. They wanted to eat, so off to the hotel restaurant we went. I was glad I wasn't paying for anything, because I didn't find anything on the menu that I could afford, except maybe the water, and I wasn't even sure about that.

Over a light breakfast, Brad started discussing the day's events, "We have a meeting at ten this morning and then a private tour of the Catacombs after lunch. Would that be all right?"

"Yes, my mother talked about the Catacombs. That is where all the bones are, right?"

They both looked at me. "My mother studied here for a year and told me a lot about this city. She loved it here and always wanted to come back."

"I am sorry she never made it back," Kitty said quietly.

"Part of the reason I came was for her. I want to evaluate your father's offer, but I also want to see the city, for my mother."

"You didn't come for me?" Kitty asked, playfully.

"Honestly, I didn't know you were coming," I said.

I couldn't tell if she was offended or not.

"Well, you boys have fun. I am going shopping. I didn't come to Paris to have meetings or sightsee; I came for the fashion," Mona said, with her nose in the air.

Brad was frowning when he said, "Of course."

Ouch, I thought. I remembered there was quite an age difference between the two of siblings, and Brad worked for a living. Interesting, I thought. Very interesting.

"Have a nice time," I said.