Chapter Fifty-seven

I laid in bed that night thinking over the day I had just spent with Sarah. When I said, "I Love You" I meant it. I was still feeling the warm glow of spending time with her. I wanted to be with her now. I wanted to be with her always, I decided. I knew then what I had to do.

On the night before I was to leave, Sarah and I went out to dinner. We both got dressed up, and Jamie drove us in the limo. Perks of the job, I called it. The meal was great, and the company was even better. When we finished dinner, we walked the streets until we got to the fountain. It was in the middle of a large courtyard next to a large church, St. Peter's Church of the Saints.

I stopped there and was quiet for a moment when Sarah said, "What?"

I got down on one knee and took a box from my coat pocket. I opened the box and said, "I would be the happiest man on the planet if you would consent to marry me. I can't promise you fame or fortune, but I can promise that I will love you every day for the rest of my life, and I will do my very best to prove that to you, each and every day. Will you marry me, Sarah?"

I was shaking, I realized.

Sarah got down on her knees in front of me and said, "Yes, I will marry you. You have made me the happiest woman on the planet, and I promise to love you each and every day until the day I die. I love you so much."

"Now just one more thing," I said. "Can we get up, my knee is killing me," and I was laughing with tears in my eyes.

"Jerk! Try kneeling in a dress like this, why don't you," but she was laughing with tears as well. I put the ring on her finger and kissed her.

"I will give you ten thousand kisses before I die."

"I am going to hold you to that," she said, and we kissed again.