Chapter 3

Leo was a quiet guy with a puzzling attitude. In fact, I have never heard him yell louder than a minimal uproar when he's giving some kind of lecture that you can tell pours from the passion straight in his heart. That was until today, of course.

"EVERYBODY WAKE UP." Leo was so obnoxiously loud that if he screamed a notch louder, I think I would've woken up from my coma.

I heard a few moans of the awakening crew. When Dash and Leo went to get food, they all dosed off due to the lack of conversation in the room. I tried hopelessly to put on a concert like I had for Kara's friend the first day she came here, but apparently I wasn't very entertaining. Eventually, the sound of snores muffled out my off-tone one-man band melody.

"Jesus Christ, Leo. Could you be any louder? I was in a really peaceful, deep sleep. Try not to wake up a girl by screaming, next time, will ya? I feel like I just woke up from a friggin coma ..... Oh shit, sorry Charlie." I would've been a little insulted but (1) Kara always rambles on when complaining so it was bound to slip out sooner or later (2) people make coma jokes all the time surprisingly and I've just gotten used to them and (3) I have never, ever, during the whole time she's been here, ever heard Kara apologize to anyone.

"Leo, do you mind explaining why I can hear you over there all the way from my desk over here?" This time Nurse Jackson was the one screaming, although that's not much of a shock.

"Yeah whatever, sorry. You guys will never guess who I just ran into down at the cafeteria!" Leo's voice was flooded with excitement.

"Skylar?" Jordi smirked.

"Holy shit man, how'd you know?" I found it amusing how surprised Leo was because judging by Jordi's reaction, it was apparently quite obvious.

"Well you have a number and her name written on your arm. So either you bumped into her while getting something to eat or you're more desperate for a girlfriend than I thought."

"Very funny, Jordi. I forgot she wrote it, alright?" I think the heat from Leo's face evaporated into the whole room.

"No way, so you saw her?!" It was the first time I heard Emma's musical voice all day and I was glad because I missed it. I really liked Emma, she was so smart and genuinely kind. Although I love every single one of my friends at Ocean Park Hospital, Emma had to be my favorite. I envied Leo and the others because not only could they listen to Emma talk whenever they wanted by simply walking up to her room, but they could talk back to her. Part of me wants to wake up just so I can hold a conversation with her. People rarely appreciate the value of a simple interaction such as chatting. It really sucks being in a coma.

"Yeah, we both did. And man, is she a good looking sick person." There was no doubt that was Dash's comment.

"The day Dash respects women is the day Emma eats a full meal." It was comments like that which made it hard to like Kara. Really hard.

"Little harsh Kara, don't you think?" I'm glad Jordi said something, because as funny as Kara thinks she is, comments like that really hurt Emma.

Kara didn't respond, and I'm glad, because arguing is the worst thing being forced to listen to.

"Whatever. What's wrong with her?" Emma's sweet voice mumbled.

"That's the weird thing, she looks completely fine.. Like absolutely nothing is wrong. It's so strange.." Leo sat in his wheelchair with his hand on his chin, elbow on the chair, deep in thought.

It didn't make much sense as to why nothing would be wrong with her. I mean, like Leo said, people don't just show up to a hospital for a vacation. My curiosity was about to jump out of my body and run around. I suppose my actual legs should start doing that before my emotions do.

"Bro, just text her and find out." Dash had some idiotic ideas, but I think this topped the cake.

"Dash, I can't just text her randomly and ask her what kind of terminal illness she has for her to have to live in a hospital.."

"Whatever man. You should probably text her though. That chick was totally into you."

"Alright, fine." Leo slid his slender fingers into his pocket and pulled out his 'so last year' phone, as Kara would say. His fingertips danced across the keyboard faster than usual.

Leo: hey, it's Leo, the guy whose arm you wrote your number on

Skylar: what? I didn't write my number on anybody's arm...? Who is this..?

Leo: uh.. Must have the wrong number, sorry.

Skylar: haha I'm totally just kidding. I was hoping you would text me soon, what's up?

Leo: that was mean haha.. Nothing really, wanna stop by my friends' room? 5115 (:

"Alright, I texted her. She hasn't responded to our invite.." Leo rolled his eyes sarcastically. Then he looked around. A preteen in a coma, a bitchy cheerleader, a quiet self conscious girl, a guy with one leg, a soon to be guy with one leg, and a kid whose main goal in life is to get laid. "But, I guess I can't really blame her.."

The next 20 minutes were sucked up with pointless conversation. Pointless small talk, but still a conversation nonetheless and I wish I could've been apart of it.

"I heard there was a party..." A curvy brunette with purple in her hair leaned on the side of the doorframe, arms folded ever so casually. Her eyes sparked with interest and every word that slipped out of her thin lips drew you deeper into her sentences.

Leo didn't realize how beautiful she actually was. Back at the cafeteria his mind was clouded with teenage hormones, fatigue, and eagerness to earn some cash out of his best friend. But right now, as she stood there, so relaxed like she's been hanging out with these people for as long as she can remember, something clicked inside Leo. He decided right then and there that he would no longer suffocate his thoughts with meaningless ideas. He was going to make something legendary out of the Red Band Society.

Bam, Chapter 3! I'm SOOOOO SO glad that you guys like it so far! A few things I want to cover real quick though

1.) idk why, but every time I try to respond to comments, it says I can't because my "email isn't verified" even though it is?? So sorry if I don't respond, I'm not trying to be rude, I genuinely WANT to respond but I can't lol

2.) always feel free to message me instead! I will always reply to those because watt pad actually lets me haha (:

3.) I wanna connect with you guys through this story. Not just through the actual written story but also in the author notes I will post! So would you guys like maybe a question at the end of each chapter? Like a "Question of the Day" type thing? I wanna get to know you guys some more! (:

4.) SHAMELESS SELF PROMO. feel free to follow me on twitter- @toystorytori Instagram- @toystorystori3 and tumblr- www.toystorytori.tumblr.com thanks babes :*

Anything other ideas/thoughts/questions, or you just wanna talk, feel free to message me :)