Chapter 5

"And this is the elevator, specifically made for kids like me... Ya know.. In a wheelchair and stuff." The race between Leo and Skylar simmered down and the real tour began. Leo showed her the grand views of the ever so exciting Ocean Park Hospital.

"Man, I'm tired. I don't know how you do it, riding in this thing all day. You must have some pretty intense upper body strength. I'm beat." Skylar wiped a tiny speck of sweat from her forehead with the back of her sleeve.

Leo exaggerated the motion of flexing his arms, "What can I say? I get all the babes this way, that's why you're here, right?"

Skylar dodged the wink that came at her from Leo. "Yeah okay.. Maybe your just compensating for something a little more south.." Skylar had to hide her smirk by curtly turning her wheelchair down a hallway.

"Are we talking about my missing leg or my penis, because I can assure you I don't need to compensate for anything." See that? That is the best kind of relationship. The one where two people click instantly and they can joke around with each other in the meanest of ways. Like an old married couple, best friends, and lovers all in one. I used to think that was the relationship that my parents had..

"Oh yeah? How come I don't believe you?" But she didn't let the boy answer, "Come on, we're going back to my room."

Leo's ghostly face burned a deep crimson color, "Uhh.. Well-"

"Not for that, god I hate hormonal teenage boys." Skylar rolled her eyes but she couldn't hold back her laugh. "I just wanna show you something."

"Alright, fair enough." They started the journey back to Skylar's hospital room.

~~~~~~~~

After a couple of sharp turns, random jokes, and horribly attempted wheelies, the pair reached Skylar's room.

"My arms feel like jello." Skylar declared as she stood up from the wheelchair and plopped down on her bed like a frog does to its lillypad.

"Yeah, it takes some getting used to, that's for sure." Leo awkwardly rolled his chair beside Skylar's bed.

"I bet. Anyways, welcome to Casa de Skylar. Enjoy your stay." Her teeth peaked out of her mouth as her grin grew with every word. She stretched out her arms as if presenting her room to him would not be complete without that motion.

Leo's eyes darted around the room, taking everything in as fast as possible. It was huge, just like his and Jordi's room and mine and Kara's room. Two beds, although no use for the second one. Intimidating glass doors for the nurses to peek through as they walk by. Windows with a terrifyingly gorgeous view of the bustling city's streets below them. Typical I-live-here-everyday- hospital room.

And, just like every other permanent patient's room at Ocean Park, it was decorated with a style just as unique as the person's illness. Illness... What was wrong with Skylar anyways? I completely forgot she was even sick, she seems too lively (even for us) to be in a hospital.

Stuffed animals and pillows of various sizes over flowed her bed like ice tea does to a cup. Black sheets, black comforter, but every pillow and animal screamed the emphasis of different colors. Her walls were covered in artwork. Paintings, drawings, doodles; plastered everywhere. They smothered the dull hospital walls. Sculptures and nicknacks covered the tops of shelves that were home to what seemed like thousands of books. Her own little library. A desk to the side of the room was home to art supplies. It was quite clear she liked to draw. Colored pencils, markers, crayons, paint brushes, drawing pencils, and paint were sprawled over the desk in an aloof manner. But, her glass doors were empty. Too bare for her room, Leo thought.