Chapter 1

Arizona Kahlua sat by her mother's bed, confused. Her father was talking fast to a man in a long, white coat with glasses. The girl was only 5 years old, and had no idea what was happening. Ari held her mother's hand. "Daddy, what's happening? Why won't mama wake up?" She asked. Her father stopped talking to the white coat, and crouched next to Ari. "She's just tired, honey. We should just let her sleep..." He said, rubbing her back. His voice was wavering. Ari blinked. "Okie daddy! Goodnight mama!" She said, smiling. Her father exchanged glances with the doctor, picked little Arizona up and took her home, fighting the whole way not to cry.

... 

Not even two months later, Ari skipped into a father's room, to see him hanging from the ceiling by a rope around his neck. She was confused, she didn't know what was happening. There was a slip of paper on a stool nearby, and Ari trotted over to retrieve it.

'Dearest Arizona,

You might be able to read this, but chances are you might not. I've gone to join mummy in a place called Heaven, all people who sleep go there. Go live your life, meet some people, find a job and become famous. My best mate's coming over, he'll look after you. I love you, and I'm watching you with mummy.

Your father, Adam.'

Arizona was confused, when the house door opened. "Adam? Ari?" Her father best friend called out. "In daddy's room!" She called back, still trying to decipher the letter. Her dad's best friend, Luke, ran up the stairs, and pushed open the door. He nearly cried out and slammed the door closed. "Adam?" He asked, not believing what he was seeing. Ari walked up to Luke, and gave him the paper. "I can only make out a few words, what does it say?" She asked. Luke's eyes skimmed over the letter, and he rubbed his eyes. He got down on his knees, and pulled Ari in for a hug. "You're too young for this..." He mumbled, rubbing her back. Ari was confused. "Why's daddy trying to touch the ceiling?" She asked. Luke shook his head, and pulled out his phone. He dialed a number, put the phone to his ear and waited. "Liliana? I need you to come over, as soon as you can." He said.

Arizona was held in the arms of Liliana, Luke's girlfriend. There were strange people in Adam's room, taking him down and sealing him in a black plastic bag. "What are they doing, Lili?" Ari asked, tugging Lili's sleeve. Liliana turned around, and left the room. "They're taking your father to a large place, so he can sleep properly." She explained, running a hand through Ari's beautiful, snowy white hair. Ari nodded, and rested her head against Liliana's shoulder.

"Goodnight daddy, I love you..."