What they left behind.

It was cold.

Peter wasn't sure whether it was really cold, or it was just the hollowness... the phantom of his guilt and grief and pain drowning him that made him perpetually cold.

He was standing in the New Avengers compound, the sounds of chatter behind him from Pepper, Morgan and Happy, and the view over the trench and forests around them, Sam and Bucky jogging together, neither taking the upper hand.

"Peter." A voice snapped him out of his daze.

"Peter honey." It took a moments before Peter registered it was Pepper talking- addressing him.

He turned his head to look at her, his reflection in her eyes with stoic brown eyes holding large bags.

"Come on, let's eat." She offered, leading the boy into the kitchen, Wanda and Harley setting the table.

Morgan was laughing with Happy and Rhodey was serving up the salad and pasta someone had cooked for them.

"Hey." Sam jogged in, panting slightly, his eyes instantly flicking to the shield that hung on the wall.

He was Captain America now, yet he'd never picked it up. He tried to explain himself, how the shoes he'd have to fill to be Steve were bigger than he could handle, and that his friend deserved more than just a fake-Captain as his memory.

Peter's eyes trailed to Morgan at those thoughts- she didn't understand yet, other than her Dad was gone, but she would, and she'd have shoes to fill herself.

Harley was their resident "Inventor" since he'd been offered to stay. The world needed more protectors now so many had gone, and with Harley they were one step closer to rebuilding the shield they had over the world.

"I-" Peter began, his voice hoarse and empty.

"I'll be back." He promised, spinning on his heel and disappearing out the door.

He needed air.

He slammed his hand over the 'open' at the front door, storming out and tugging, pulling at the clothes he was wearing.

It was one of Tony's shirts, with a cracked image of a band logo.

His breathing became more sporadic, but he tuned out the voice of reason and Karen in his ear, half collapsing against the wall, his legs shaking and his hair flipped over his face.

"Hey. Hey Peter! Shhhh... it's okay. It's okay." He voice was Bucky's, soft and deep in his ear as he held Peter up, the smaller boy leaning all his weight helplessly on the other man without realising it.

"It's okay." Bucky said again,

"No!" Peter shouted, jerking forwards,

"No!" He cried again, as if it was the only word he could force out of his mouth,

"It's not okay." He cried, sobs wracking through his body,

"It's never going to be okay." He murmured, curling into himself,

"It's never going to be okay again."

Bucky could walk away- leave him to his sudden, painful awakening.

But he didn't.

Stepping forwards again, he lifted the boy up with ease, and set him down on the bench, cooing softly into his ear, trying his best to reassure him.

They were one in the same. Left behind for the greater good. Of who's greater good exactly, was yet to be determined. But they would make it through this, or they sure as hell would break piece by piece trying.

The End.

See my new projects over on Instagram, @sargejbb