Man and Magic (Part 2)

***

The carriage came to an abrupt stop inside the courtyard, jerking us nearly out of our seats. As I exited, the king rushed over and looked me up and down. His eyes looked sunken and his body appeared significantly more emaciated since I last saw him.

He probably hadn't gotten much sleep since the news arrived. The ecstatic smile on his face was probably the first time he'd shown relief in a long while. His shoulders relaxed and he sighed deeply before taking a long step forward, embracing me in a hug.

"I am glad you are safe," his voice wavered.

I wasn't sure quite how to react. The king – my best friend – was on the verge of tears because I was nearly killed. It didn't hit me with how much he cared about me until that point.

He kept his face hidden from the many onlookers until he calmed down a little, at which point he pulled away slightly and patted my shoulders heavily. From our distance, I could clearly see just how exhausted he was.

"I am glad you are safe," he repeated.

I glanced over to see the driver helping Alara from the carriage. Count Falzadeen ran to her and wrapped his arms around her, kissing her forehead roughly before pulling away. I didn't hear what he said as my attention was returned to the king, and the queen who now stood next to him. She gave me a sincere smile and bowed her head slightly.

"Come, Xavier. There is much to discuss," the king spoke, his voice clearly as tired as his body.

I followed the two of them into the castle, but glanced back toward Alara and her father. The Count gave me a look that could kill; it was as if to say 'how dare you let my daughter come to such a state'. I had to change my mindset and focus on the bigger issue at present. We were walking through the castle halls as the king spoke to me.

"We have received several other reports of the dwarves and their assault. Most came within two days after yours reached us. After some discussion, the generals and I are in agreeance to pull most of our forces from the north and south to reinforce the western front. Tell me, Xavier, what do they look like? What exactly are we up against?" he asked.

"A force truly superior to our own, my liege," I cut straight to the point.

"The machines I witnessed looked like large dogs with teeth as long as knives. The one that attacked myself, Ladies Falzadeen and Shyradeen, was the size of a horse and had eyes red as the pit of hell. It kept up with our horses and devoured Lady Shyradeen with its dagger-like teeth."

The queen made a barely audible gasp.

"I – I see ... then is there no way to fight them?"

"I do not know. The machines attacked us in the middle of the night, and the one that chased us was reliant on the light from the torch we had. Once it was gone, it lost us quickly."

We rounded a couple corners and began making our way up a couple flights of stairs.

"Have you already addressed the people?" I asked.

"Of course. The morale is low and fear is high, but I feel I was able to keep everyone calm enough," he sighed in response.

"Most of the nobles have already fled the court as well to return to their homes to defend them. The foreign diplomats have departed as well to their home countries. I tried requesting help, but none of them were willing to throw forces at a kingdom doomed to extinction."

Doomed to extinction, I thought.

It sent shivers through my whole body. That was the fate that awaited us if we didn't find a way to fight the dwarves. I sighed heavily as we reached the council room. The guard at the entrance hastily opened the door for us. Inside were the four generals, completely silent and with solemn looks on their faces.