Chapter Six - The Opening Ceremony

Gracie greets me later that day and I am whisked away to my prep team to prepare me for the District Parade. I am sprayed with a questionable substance that makes my skin look extremely tanned. They replenish my green nail varnish and file them. They then begin piping out a peculiar black liquid which dries on my skin.

They call it "Henna" . I eventually see patterns forming. The vines and Ivy from my ring, from Jason's hair and most of all... from home. I start to think about Mother, how worried she must be. I hope with all my heart that she is coping okay...

My thoughts are interrupted as I am announced complete and am taken for costume fitting. I expect something a little different but I am just dressed in a fabric that has the illusion of bark. I am in a plain brown dress with an extravagant head piece and Ash is in a brown suit. We look boring and plain. The sponsors certainly won't pick us, that's for sure. We are then lead to the city circle. The journey takes about ten minutes and I catch a glimpse if a clock. It reads 6:47 pm. The ceremony starts at half past seven.

Gracie pushes off the reporters as we make our way from the huge limozine to the city circle memorial building. It is huge. It towers above the city. Apollo greets me and I am taken away by him, down a long and winding coridoor with endless pictures on the walls. I see District Symbols, the Capitol Insignia, an article on District 13 along with other artifacts.

We eventually come to a large room lined with mirrors. I see myself dressed in my plain brown clothes. Apollo hands me a small black remote and says , "Press this when you're ready" I furrow my brow in confusion but before I can question him further, he leaves the room.

A man in a long, black coat takes me to the horse and carriages where I meet Ash. The second carriage is pulling out. It's the first time I've seen the tributes. The third carriage slowly rolls out. Both of District Three's tributes wear glasses and their outfits are an electric blue. Their hair is stuck up on point using what I assume is hairspray. Then the fourth is pulling away with two shining tributes dressed in little more than a net. My outift may be boring but at least I am decent! District Six are just disapearing when a voice says "District Seven Tributes mount up. District Seven tributes mount up." The message repeats until we eventually step into the carriage. I clutch the remote tight in my right hand as the brown horses pulling our cart begin to gallop. Ash reaches for my left hand and I squeeze it tightly, just like at the reaping.

The crowds scream and cheer. A man hollers my name and a red rose comes flying in my direction. Jason. It reminds me of Jason. A tear threatens to fall, but I set my jawline, look above the crowd and stare emotionally straight ahead. I press the button on the remote and I feel something reaching out from under my dress. A thin vine leeches out delicately tangling me in its grasp. They slowly wrap themselves around my arms and I see that Jason's suit is also covered in the beautiful vines.

They eventually stop and beautiful ivy begins to grow from them. I extend my left arm elegantly and the leaves slowly blossom up it. The crowd is going crazy, more of Jason's roses come flying from the crowd. The ivy releases a small pollen which drifts behind us as we travel.

Just as the ivy has covered nearly every inch of our outfits we pull in front of President Castro's mansion. I stare into his cold harsh eyes as he walks out onto the balcony. Our carriage comes to a stand still and I look up to see a huge screen. Me and Ash cover every inch of it and we look incredible. Living, breahing, growing plants. No. Not plants. Trees from District Seven.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I look behind me to see District Eight dressed in flamboyant fabrics and District Ten as shepherds. Behind them come District Twelve as Coal Miners, in nothing but black dust and skimpy dungarees.

We pull back into ther hotel and the horses stop trotting. We jump down from the carriage and I embrace Ash. Gracie kisses me on the forehead and exclaims: "You were absolute stars!"

Apollo has a smile spread across his face and I tell him how incredible that outfit was. My prep team engulf me with praise, kisses and a lot of hugs. We get into the glass elevator (Myslef, Ash, Gracie and Johanna) and just as the doors are closing the District Eleven Female tribute walks in.

"Hey. You were amazing out there by the way. Our stylist. Ugh. Apple pickers. Seriously?" She says, disgusted.

"You looked great," I smile, "I'm Willow."

"Iris." She replies with a smile. Iris is a wonderful purple plant that grows in the deeper parts of District Seven's forest. This Iris has light-brown skin and sparkling, huge, brown eyes. We exit the lift first as District Eleven is nearly the top level. She seemed really nice. Genuine.

We all gather on the couch and our stylists and prep team's join us for a feast.

I have taken a liking to a bubbly drink that plays with my head a little. It tastes like stars. For starter we have a salmon flavoured soup with salty, seaweed bread, obviously from District Four.

There are endless other courses. Meat from Ten. Breads from Nine. Fruits from Eleven. It seems that the Capitol is completely dependent on the Districts. Without the Districts there would be no Capitol.

Gracie turns on the television and a broadcast cuts on screen that "The tributes from District Seven were the shining stars of tonight. Willow Thorne and Ash Grover have left a lasting impression on the people of the Capitol." Everyone applauds and then Gracie signals it's time for bed. Thank-god!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As the avox undresses me I think of all the sponsors we have just won. All down to Apollo. I begin to think of the arena. A desert. A mountain. An ocean. A swamp. An abandoned village. It could be anything. My avox pulls the soft blanket over my body and strangely, she places a kiss between my eyes. This night is going to be rough.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am back, stood on my pedestal. I look around. I am surrounded by thick jungle. The gong sounds and I sprint for my life. I get to the Cornucopia to find no weapons. I look behind me to see a horrific sight. Iris runs towards me, her brown eyes menacing and evil. She has a sword in hand and slashes it across my belly. Blood spills over my shirt, through the cut. The pain overwhelming. I scream as I fall to the ground in pain. The sound of my own Death Cannon wakes me up. I scream and the avox rushes in helping me steady my breathing. This girl is a friend.