Chapter Eight - Gamemakers

We are ushered into a small waiting area, and told to take a seat. One by one, we are called into the Training Hall where we will perform our chosen skills for the Gamemakers. We have five minutes. Five minutes to impress the harsh creators of this cruel game. Disrict One goes first then all the way up to District Twelve. My hands begin to shake and I feel sick to the stomach. I see the girl from District Five go in as Ash leans over to me.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, I have no idea what to do in there," he whispers, his voice wavering slightly. I contemplate giving him advice but then just turn away and face the door as it slides shut after the shaking girl.

"Neither do I," I state. No more words are exchanged until his name is called. I tell him good luck as he stands up and is ushered away. The next five minutes seem to last a life time. Eventually he comes out, as pale as a sheet. He doesn't make eye contact with me as he leaves the waiting room silently.

"Willow Thorne!" a guard announces. I shiver and slowly rise to my feet. The door slides open and I step through. The Gamemakers keeps a beady eye on me as I slowly walk to the center of the room.

Without a thought I go straight for the axes, and pick up two. I forcefully swing the axe above my head before throwing it ito the mannequin's chest. I look up at the Gamemakers and see they are in deep conversation. I narrow my eyes and realise I need to grab their attention.

I spin on my heels and sprint over to the climbing wall. I go to pick up a harness but stop myself almost instantly. I have to impress them. I grab onto a rocky ledge and rapidly begin to climb the wall. In no less than ten seconds I am at the top. I shakingly stand up before jumping down onto the hard floor, cushioning my fall with a roll. I then swing my axe around my head and release. It sails through the air before landing between the mannequin's eyes. They stare at me in disbelief and I just awkwardly stare back. After a few moments of silence, the Gamemakers finally speak up.

"You have two minutes left," says a tall man with blond hair, who I assume is the Head Gamemaker. He will have fun this year. Watching our every move in the dreaded arena.

"I think I've done enough," I say maybye a little too sharply, before turning around and leaving.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That night we gather around the sofa. Gracie cradles me and mine and Ash's fingers are interlinked. The TV broadcast begins and Selena Flickerman appears on screen. She has long blue hair and blue makeup all over her petite face.

"Hello Panem! Today our tributes have been hard at work, impressing the gamemakers with their chosen skills. We have just got all of the scores so I will begin with District One. Blaze has snagged a marvellous Ten whilst Sapphire has earned herslef a Nine! A powerful duo. And for District Two. Slate has a Ten and Alana has..."

The careers all earn above an eight. The pair from three both caught a five and the tributes from Five and Six all got below a seven.

"And now for our District Seven tributes. So, Ash has earned a mighty eight! A powerful score for a lower district."

Ash smiles sheepishly and we all congratulate him. Not the best score but definitely respectable.

"And so, Willow Thorne. Wow! She must have impressed the Gamemakers. Ladies and Gentlemen Willow has powerfully earned herslef a ferrocious twelve."

A twelve. A twelve. A twelve. Selenas voice echoes in my skull. That score has only ever been achieved once before. And that was from District Two. Who'd have thought a skinny girl from District Seven achieved a Twelve. Me. I don't believe it.

"Well done darling!" Garcie screams clapping her hands together in delight.

"Good job" Says Apollo without expression. My prep team babble on about how amazing I am and that I have made games history. I zone out and notice Johanna leaving the room but glancing at me and gesturing for me to follow.

"I think I need to lie down." I lie to my team. I use Ash's shoulder to help me stand and walk towards the dark corridoor that hides Johanna.

"This is bad..." She says her lips turned down.

"What? I am intimidating. I did what you said. The car..."

"NO." She interrupts loudly. She glances over her shoulder before starting in a quiet whisper, "I didn't expect that score. I... They will fear you. Don't get me wrong, but they will target you Willow. Everyone that doesn't trust you will be after you. You have to listen to me. Get a weapon and leave. Try to limit the amount of people you ally with. I'm afraid to say this but at the first chance they get they will turn their backs on you. Backstab...." She says trailing off.

"Okay... Goodnight." I say, my voice quavering, cracking and sounding defeated. A lone tear slips from my eye and rolls down, ruining the makeup on my cheek.

I open my bedroom door to find a note on my bed. It is written in rushed writing.

Hello. Sorry... I am terribly sorry. I have a message. Please be strong, be brave. You can be something much greater. I know it. Win these games please......

Thats where the letter ends. I don't understand. I scrumple the letter and place it in my bedroom drawer. Who is this from?

I see the bathroom door slightly ajar. On furhter inspection I see an arm. A blood covered arm. I want to scream but it gets stuck in my throat. I slowly open the door and I cry. A ginger haired woman lies on the floor, knife in hand, a wound where her heart is.

The letter is from my avox.