Pilot pt. 2

"Oh gosh that the 85. We're in Atlanta!-"

"-Wait. Oh my gosh. We're in Atlanta?!-"

"-I have a GPS!-"

"-Um, yes-"

"-Yes we're here. Look for a cookout cause that's what we want right baby?-"

"-Yes. Mommy what's that smell?-"

"-It smells like weed in here-"

"-Why do you think that is?!-"

"-I don't know?-"

"-Really?!"
------------------------------------
"Y'all stay here while I figure out what's going on, okay? Two minutes-"

"-I'm gonna come with you-"

"-I just said two minutes, Come on baby-"

"-Really? her!-"

"-bye bye," I say and wave teasingly to Auntie Mone Mone and Mommy laughs and picks me up.

We walk up the steps and on the porch and everyone stares at us the way everyone also does. But Mommy ignores them and gets walking inside. It's a salon!

"Is Carlotta here?" Mommy asks while looking around as we walk up to a pretty light skin girl at the desk.

"You find us on Groupon or something?-"

"-What's Groupon?" I ask very confused as a man wearing weave walks over and Mommy looks around.

"Y'all would be lucky to get on Groupon-"

"-Carlotta's my mama. She ain't here-"

"-She at church-"

"-Oh ok, well when is she back?-"

"-Why you wanna know?" The light skin girl at desk asks us and the man with wing raises his eyebrow at us. I narrow my eyes at him and turn my head to the side giving a lot of attitude.

Mommy takes out a stack of envelopes and hand it to the lady skin lady and her and the man looks at it.

"Oh! You one of Mary's girls! Baby, Carlotta about to gag honey. She's been looking for you and your sister a long time. Mmhmm, you need your roots down, ASAP-"

"-Okay, it was nice meeting you too... She like that everyday?-"

"-Girl yeah. She can't help it. She ugly-"

"-But that's a man," I say very confused as to why she called him a her. Mommy and the light skin lady laughs.

"Come on, baby"
------------------------------------
We walk into church and see a light skin lady with a red wig singing and we sit down in the back but Auntie Alex stands.

Streets wasn't safe
I couldn't find my way
But I found his grace one day
Tears down my face
Jesus said, Jesus said,
"Change gon' come one day," one day
I knew it would happen for me
One day

On the ground in despair
I'm praying Lord, "Can you hear me?"
Upside down and the world don't care
I'm hurting, need me a healing
And I'll take a drink or two
Just to get me through from the darkest of days
But the wages of sin is death
I got nothing left
But one prayer and one praise

'Cause just when I was about to give up
I heard Jesus say, Jesus say,
"Change gon' come, one day."

The lady stops singing once she looks at us sitting in the back. Mommy eye widens at her as if she recognizes her from somewhere.