Chapter 2: Persuading Partners

"Drapsnagon, open up," Rinny said, banging on the door. "It's me, Rinny." 

"Go away," a gruff voice called from the inside. Rinny smiled at the girl beside him, giving a fake smile of confidence. 

"He doesn't mean it. He's really quite friendly." 

"No I'm not," the voice shouted back. Rinny chuckled nervously. 

"Now Drap," he started, rolling back and forth on his feet, "I meandered here straight from the mayor's with a mute maiden mere meters from me. We've got another expedition." 

"We just got off of the last one," the voice replied. Rinny rapped the door with his fist again.  

"Hey, Drap, who's at the door?" another gruff voice called from behind the door. 

"Ohhh, it's just Rinny Migaw, Cutterbup" the first voice replied. 

"Are you going to let him in?" 

"I wasn't planning on it." 

"Good," the second voice said. Rinny shot the girl an uneasy glance. Wait, he had an idea. 

"Come on, Drap. I may be murdered in the mayhem of mapping if I don't have my cranky compatriot by my side. I need you." There was silence. Rinny sighed, guessing his knocks would never be answered. "Alright, let's go," he said to the girl next to him. As they turned to leave however, there was the sound of latches, bolts, and chains being undone. The door opened a tiny crack, two large eyes peeking out through the shadows. 

"I don't know why I let you talk me into these things," the person said. Rinny beamed as he entered the house, pulling the young lady along. There right behind the doorway stood two short, plump trolls with eyes as big as saucers and nose as pink as the sunset. 

"Oh, Drap, I knew you'd come through for me," Rinny said, shaking the trolls hand enthusiastically. "Lady Cutterbup, a pleasure as always." 

"I thought you weren't going to let him in," Cutterbup said, hands on her hips. 

"I wasn't, but then he -" Drapsnagon said. 

"He used the 'I need you' line again, didn't he?" Cutterbup interrupted. Drapsnagon just sighed. "Well, he's already in. Might as well show some hospitality." Cutterbup sneered at the last word, clearly not liking the taste it left in her mouth. "Come in, we've got some food on the stove." 

The four walked into the next room where there were three squealing troll children rolling about underneath the table in the center of the room. 

"Hey, kids. Settle down. We have guests," Drap said. The children immediately stopped their antics and made faces. 

"Ew. I thought we didn't like guests," a troll-child said. 

"We don't," Drap agreed, walking over to his children. "Riolet, Cose, and Mepperpint," he said, tapping each child on the head as he said their names. As soon as his introductions were over, he sauntered over to the stove to serve the food. "Sit down. It's time to eat."  

It wasn't long before the entire family sat around the table with Rinny and the lady kneeling since there were no chairs and they were too big. 

"So, Rinny, who's your new girlfriend?" Riolet, the oldest troll asked. The girl looked in alarm at Rinny, but he merely smiled and shook his head. 

"No, you've made a mistake. This fine female isn't for filling my fancy. She's the reason for our expedition." Rinny wriggled his fingers to add some mystery to his speech. 

"Oh?" Drap said, pouring potato ball soup into everyone's plates. "And what's your name young lady?" The girl looked around the table, confused. 

"Yes, well, she doesn't exactly speak," Rinny admitted. "I'm not even sure she speaks our language." 

"Did you think to ask?" Drap said, eyeing the stranger. Rinny opened his mouth to say something, then closed it, shaking his head. Drap shook his head and looked at the girl, pouring soup into her bowl. "So, my dear, have you been understanding our conversation this whole time?" The girl gave an enthusiastic nod and a bright smile to the troll. Rinny's stared in wide-eyed shock when he saw Drap return her warmth with a smile of his own. 

"And what's your name?" Cose asked, clearly smitten by the attractive stranger. The girl pointed up, looking with awe and wonder at what appeared to be the top of the building. 

"Ceilingy?" Rinny guessed. The girl rolled her eyes and dipped her fingers in the bright blue soup. Carefully printing letters on the table, everyone gathered around to see what she was writing. 

"Cirrus," they all said together. 

"Well, Cirrus, allow me to introduce myself," Drap said. "I am Drapsnagon, Rinny's exploratory partner. He draws the maps and I do...everything else." Rinny rolled his eyes.  

"Drap here," Rinny said, "is what is known as a wind dancer. He uses magical beads and dancing to bring rain and other weather." The girl shook her head. "I'm sorry?" Rinny asked. "No what?" 

The girl pointed at the clouds in the sky and pointed at herself.  

"What is she saying?" Cutterbup asked. 

"Oh, yes," Rinny started. "Well, I suppose she disagrees that you dance the weather into being. You see, she says her house of habitation is high in the sky in a kingdom of frozen clouds." Cirrus nodded, pride beaming from her face. Rinny continued. "I guess she thinks that her people make the weather." Drap raised his eyebrows, not happy about his skills being questioned.  

"No matter," he said, taking on his usual grumpy demeanor. "Rinny, what is our task? 

"Oh, yes," Rinny grinned, trying to ease the tension. "Our task is to find a way into this supposed city in the sky and safely this Cirrus. Think we can manage?" 

"Find a way into the sky, huh?" Drap said, "What makes you think there is one?" 

"There might not be," Rinny said, "but if anyone could find it, it's us. We've wandered the wilderness way more than other wackos. We can find a way for this woman. You know we can." Drap only grunted, looking down at his soup. Nobody spoke for a long time.  

"Ok," Drap said at last. "Let's do it." Rinny took a deep breath, about to explode with gratitude. "But Migaw," Drap said, interrupting him. "We have to be careful. We'll probably be going father than we've ever gone before. We don't know what's out there."  

"Yes, but that's part of the adventure isn't it?" Rinny smiled, looking affectionately at his little troll friend. "After all..." Drap sighed, rolling his eyes and saying it with his partner. 

"Adventure is your middle name."