Chapter 3: Boring Beginnings

"Who am I? I'm the worst of your woes, Rinny Migaw. I will smite you where you stand, so you best be careful." Rinny stood in front of the full-length mirror in his room, jabbing an imaginary sword at himself. He leapt back, away from his reflection's attack. "You think I am so stupid as to succumb to your sorrowful excuse for swordplay? Ha! Watch a real master at..." 

"Rinny," Drap called, banging on the door. Rinny flinched "quit losing to your reflection and get out here. We're ready to go." Huffing at the door, Rinny put a durable shirt over his lean frame, and snatched his feathered top hat from the table in his room. He opened the door and looked down at his trusty companion. 

"I was not losing, Drap." 

"You forgot your monocle," the small troll drawled. Rinny put his hand to his chin and nodded. 

"Quite right, quite right," he said before rushing back into his room, opening a drawer filled with what must have been a thousand monocles, and placed one in his right eye. "Now," he said, bursting through the doorway, "we can leave." 

"Cane," Drap said, rolling his eyes. Rinny closed his mouth into a tight line, narrowing his eyes before turning on his heel and grabbing the cane leaning in the corner of the room. 

"Now-" 

"Pistol." This really was infuriating wasn't it? Rinny took the flintlock pistol from the table and placed it in his belt. He timidly turned to his troll companion, who gave a small nod of approval. 

"Now!" Rinny called out, running through the door and pulling Drap along, "Now we are off. Quick, where is Cirrus?"  

"She's all packed and ready to go. Waiting in your living room." 

"Egad man! Whatever will she wear? I hadn't thought to-" 

"Already did it," Drap said, "While you were goofing off all day I took her around the town and got her some supplies." 

"My truly staggering side-kick," Rinny said, clapping his friend on the shoulder, "I really couldn't do any of this without you." 

"I know." The duo stood at the entrance to Rinny's living room, before the troll caught Rinny's arm, stopping him. 

"Hey, Rin," he whispered, motioning for Rinny to bend down. "I don't want to be a downer, but this is the first time we've ever been responsible for someone other than ourselves. You and I can handle ourselves out there, I know that, but can we keep another person safe?" 

"Drap, my dearest friend, my honest answer is I don't know, but," Rinny paused, thinking about his next words carefully, "I need to try. All my life I've made maps. I sometimes wondered to myself, what difference am I making in this world? Now, here we are, for the first time about to do something more than put new places on paper. We're about to use our skills to help somebody. We're going to make a difference. I've always wanted to do that." Rinny smiled, and Drap couldn't help but smile back.  

"Hello, my dear," Rinny called, standing upright and strolling into the room. "Ready to adventure across the abysmal unknown?" Cirrus turned to face her guides, a large smile accompanying her enthusiastic nod. "Good. Well there are a couple things we need to talk about before we go." Both Rinny and Drap sat on the sofa across from the mute girl, a serious look appearing on Rinny's face for a brief moment. 

"Listen," Drap began, "even though we may not look like much, Rinny and I have gone into the Unexplored numerous times. It's quite dangerous out there, and you need to listen to what we say. A thousand things can go wrong, and we would rather not lose you. Our survival can depend on a single instant. Calm thinking, common sense, and reason are very important, especially since we're journeying father into the Unexplored than we ever have. Even we don't know what's out there. I guess what we're saying is, be prepared. Prepared to go hungry some nights, prepared to run, fight, or outwit anything in our path. Understand?" Cirrus nodded, listening intently. 

"Hey," Rinny said, "don't worry. If there's a way to get you home, we'll find it." Drap nodded in agreement. Cirrus beamed and threw her arms around the two men, hugging them tightly. Rinny and Drap exchanged a shocked glance, heads over the girl's shoulder.  

"Ahem, well," Drap said as Cirrus released them. "Shall we be off?" Rinny nodded and the three of them stood to their feet. 

"Oh, wait!" Rinny sprinted out of the room and returned with a large backpack stuffed with scrolls and papers. "Musn't miss the maps." Drap shook his head, grumbling something about cavorting with imbeciles before shouldering his own pack, Cirrus following suit. 

The trio left the large building that served as Rinny's house and walked to the edge of the busy street. Rinny frowned, it was a long walk to the city gates and he didn't want to be exhausted before the journey even began. 

"Paxie!" he called, sticking out his thumb. A pixie driving a large mammoth pulled up to the curb, quickly taking the bags and throwing them into the net between the mammoth's tusks. The miniscule man lifted each one in his burly arms and took them to the top of the mammoth.  

"Where to?" he asked in a deep, gruff voice. 

"The city gates," Drap said, sliding a few coins to the pixie. 

"Yes sir. Mush Mombo!" The pixie gave a light tap to the mammoth, causing it to rear on two legs and trumpet loudly. It wasn't long before they were on their way to the city gates, and the Unexplored beyond.