Sean

"Ha! That's what the fuck I'm talkin' about, Gabby ," Brielle , Ben twin and perhaps the most attractive of our children, blurted out inappropriately as she walked in with some man I didn't know behind her. "

"Let them spoil you, girl. You gonna be just like your aunt Bri, aren't you? Kiss the boys and make them motherfuckers cry!" Brielle laughed, but no one in the room—other than Ben —joined in.

Brooke glanced at her younger sister and rolled her eyes. "Could you please stop cursing in front of my daughter? What is wrong with you?" "
"Stop tripping, Brooke. She hears much worse than that just sitting out in the service area with Junior and them."

"Well, I haven't heard that, but I heard you—" Gabe gently took his wife's arm and mumbled, "Brooke, it's not worth it." Brooke glanced at me and my wife and then at her husband before she sat back in her chair obediently.

This is some bull. They'd never let me get away with this." "Daddy," Brielle said in this gushing voice that customarily rose in pitch when she was seeking my approval.

It usually worked, too, except when it had to do with men. Yes, she was a daddy's girl; there was no question about that. I didn't know why, but I had a weakness for my youngest daughter, despite the fact that she always seemed to be getting herself in some kind of trouble I had to bail her out of. "

Daddy, I'd like you to meet Charles . Charles , this is my father, Sean Masters Sr."

"Pleased to meet you, sir. Ma'am," he said, greeting Bea as well. "You have a wonderful daughter."

"Uh-huh," I said. Still holding the young man's hand in mine,

I turned to Brielle , who was smiling like she'd won the lottery. "So, in what hole did you find this one, Bri? Please tell me you didn't buy the suit he's wearing, like you did the last one." I spoke loudly to be sure the young man understood I didn't care if he heard my insult.

"Daddy!" Bri shrieked. Her pretty, high yellow face turned beet red from embarrassment.

I loved Brielle dearly, but I never was one to mask my disappointment in her, especially in her choice of men. "

We met at Bells catering hall in Broadway Village, sir, and it's not like that at all. The suit's mine," Bri's date asserted, to my surprise.

The rest of the family was taken aback, too, from the looks on their faces. Most of Brielle's little boyfriends were,unfortunately, bad boys, thugs and were intimidated by me.
Surprising this one wasn't. "

Oh, really? Tell me how it is, son," I urged, my curiosity piqued by the nature of the stranger in our midst.

"We were having a fund-raiser for my father's election campaign when I met Brielle , sir. Nothing improper. I believe your wife was there also."

I glanced over at Bea, who nodded. "His dad is Councilman Williams ," Bri added, trying to take back control of the conversation.

"Wes Williams ? He's running for Governor , isn't he?" I was keenly aware of Tennessee political landscape and the players especially in Nashville. Weston Williams was definitely a player who was on the rise. "

Yes, he is." Charles  smiled.

I was sure he was hoping for a quick thaw between us, but he'd forgotten one thing: Brielle was my daughter, and I knew his only objective was to get her into bed.

He was going to have to show his face around here a hell of a lot more, and preferably on days I wasn't conducting a board of directors meeting, if he expected me to thaw.

"So, no, I don't need anyone to buy me a suit—but my father could really use your support in his election campaign," he added.

I let out a hearty chuckle that filled the room, and then glanced over at Bryce and Gabe, who both nodded their heads and discreetly began to type into their iPads. "

"You know what, young man? I admire your character or rather your swagger, as it's called these days. I've always been one to preach involvement in family endeavors to my children. Good to see your father is of a like mind. We'll have to see what we can do for our future governor ."

I nodded at Bri, who seemed pleased as she placed her arm in Charles and led him toward the door.

While not quite up to the level of her sister, perhaps there was some hope, after all, when it came to Brielle's choice in men.

Beavleaned over and whispered in my ear, "Dear Lord, Sr, has Brielle Michelle Masters lost her mind and invited that man to sit in on one of our board meetings?"

I glanced back over toward the door and, to my dismay, watched Brielle and her new friend take two empty seats by the entrance.

Why the hell she would have that man sit in at one of our board meetings was beyond my comprehension. Perhaps Bea  was right; she'd lost her damn mind.

"She's only doing this to impress you. You know she usually doesn't date guys like him. She wants you to see she can pick a educated man like Brooke, Bea mouthed softly. "

We might not be able to speak as candidly as we'd like with him in the room, but let's see how it goes. The kids all know better than to discuss anything beyond the basics in front of a stranger, so it won't matter.

We can always ask him to step out of the room if we get on a topic that's not for his ears. The rest we can discuss tomorrow in private."

I glanced over at Brielle who was leaning up against the boy, with her head on his shoulder. She really didn't have a clue, and that scared me. "Besides, Charles. . . and his father could be useful to us one day."