Sean

I looked over at my wife, a little shocked by her response. "You sure about this?"

"Yes, I'm sure you can handle it. You always do. Now, let's go get us a plate so we can get started." Bea smiled that prideful smile she sometimes gave me, admiring my ability to always think on my feet and adapt.

It was one of the many qualities she said attracted her to me those many years past. Back then, she knew I was a man with drive and a certain "character " myself—swag is what rescued her from the cursed path upon which she once strode.

Once everyone was seated, I stood and cleared my throat to get everyone's attention. They turned to me, looking eager for whatever I had to say, probably because they knew the year-end meeting was when I thanked everyone for their individual contributions and handed out rather substantial bonus checks.

The only one who seemed to sense something awry in my demeanor was Bryce. He exchanged looks with his mother but came away with nothing.

"First of all, I want to tell you all that your mother and I are blessed to have everybody together tonight, including our new guest," I said, with a nod to Paris's friend Trevor. I couldn't help but notice how the acknowledgment chafed Harris, the last outsider to become something more within the family and the business.

I could see he had already begun assessing whether the young man was a potential threat.

I continued, "As I do at the end of every year, I have called all of us together for a brief slowdown from the crazy pace we set for ourselves. This moment is to reflect and to thank you for your hard work.

You're all very special to me and your mother, and not just for your value as part of what we've built here, but as a family. It's not my normal demeanor to be so emotional, but I do love all of you, despite some of our differences. I'm proud of you all." I purposely glanced in Ben's  direction. Bea  patted my leg approvingly under the table.

"Damn, Pops!" Ben exclaimed, a mischievous grin forming on his lips. "You tryin' to break a brother down or what? You acting like you got cancer or somethin'." He wiped fake tears. "Ben"

Bea scolded. "Oops. Sorry, Momma." Rather than burning Ben with my gaze, I said, "Let him be, Bea."

This unusual action got everyone's attention. Brooke shushed Gabby, who was now seated on her lap.

Brielle stopped fidgeting with her hair for Charles benefit.

Junior sat with his mouth agape. "Right now, each one of you owns three percent of the company, for a total of eighteen percent.

Your mother and I are giving each one of you five percent more."

"Dad, what's up? You and Momma okay?" Bryce asked.

With a glance at Bea, I spoke, my deep growl diminishing with each successive word, to where it was almost a whisper at the end.

"Yes, son. We're okay, but your mother and I will be ending our hand in the day-to-day business operations."

The room was silent, until Brielle stood, ready to take on the world to protect me.

"Why, Daddy? Did something happen? 'Cause don't nobody mess with the Masters. 'Cause—" Bri cut herself off, glancing down at her date. I was sure she would have loved to say more, but Charle's presence kind of hindered that.

"No, princess. Nothing happened other than old age. All of you are grown now, and your mother and I aren't getting any younger. We'll be retiring to the house on Knoxville soon, so we wanted to give you all time to adjust to the changes ahead."

"Retiring," Gabe blurted out. I guess my right-hand man was caught more off guard than anyone.

He looked hurt, too, probably because Bea and I had kept this announcement very close to the vest, and he was used to being in the know.

I was sorry for that, but he'd have to get over it, because it was already done.

"So if you're retiring, who's going to be in charge? Who's going to be you while you're in Retirement ?" I was sure Junior was simply seeking clarity.

Although he was the oldest and possessed unquestionable loyalty to the family, nothing in his makeup said leader.

"I'm glad you asked, Junior. Your mother and I thought long and hard about this," I replied, sure to make eye contact with each of them.

"First of all, technically nothing changes. Your mother and I are still the majority shareholders, but someone has to make decisions in our absence, and ultimately... we decided the person best suited for the job is Bryce ."

All eyes turned to Bryce , and as they studied him, I studied them. They had no idea what the future would bring, and neither did I, but I knew something wasn't right, and that was why I was stepping down so that I could prepare.