My Heart Belongs to You

Chapter 1   

The lane my house stood on was quiet this evening, which was a bit unusual since it was never quiet. There would always be the constant barking of the dogs, crying of the cats or the bickering of neighboring families which could be heard on the outside. But today was one quiet evening.

I sat on the doorstep, watching the quiet lane and listening to the soundless night. As far as I could remember, Tallendeen Lane of Whitvale—the country I belong to, was considered the riotous lane of the year. A very small country that every traveler would miss spotting it on the map, but none of us had any problem since, recently, it was considered as one of the most developing countries. Business men often visited saying ‘they found fresh talent here’.

As I thought of all of this, my mind instantly remembered one of the reasons why I was out here. I took out my cell phone and dialed his number, deciding that this was going to be the last time I was going to call. Of course, the last couple to times I tried his number was supposed to be the last time I was calling, but I couldn’t help it.

I needed an answer.

I needed to know why.

Troy McKenzie, the love of my life—at least that’s what I thought he was---until he dumped me on the day of our graduation saying he needed a break. I met him when I’d joined Manchester University in the UK. We’d instantly clicked and dated continuously for three whole years. We were the eye of every new couple. Girls and boys wanted to be us. But the day we were graduating changed it all.

He seemed distant and irritated, and when I tried to comfort him he blurted that he wanted to end it and that he was sorry. I was crushed and the graduation’s after-party was one heck of a horrible experience. My friends tried to cheer me up but there was no use. I could see Troy everywhere, dancing with every possible girl. My best friend Ruby was helpful after that, until she too had to rush, leaving town due to some urgent work.

After that, I came back to Whitvale, not wanting to stay there any longer. My mother was horrified by the news of our break up and blamed it entirely on me. When I tried explaining it to her, she wouldn’t listen. She loved Troy and said that there was a reason to everything. I was just too stupid not to ask when I had the chance to. Well, I couldn’t deny that since I had left UK immediately.

So it’s been a month and still no reply from Troy. Each time I call it goes to his voice mail and I leave messages like…

‘So, I have been wanting to talk to you’

‘Please, call me. We need to talk’

‘Troy I need to know why you ended it. Didn’t you ever love me?’

‘I need answers!’

‘Have the bloody balls to reply!’

‘Mom thinks it’s entirely my fault. I need your reply to prove her wrong!’

Well, there wasn’t a single reply. I was adamant in not calling him ever, but I would think one more time wouldn’t hurt. I must have left like thousands of messages but there wasn’t a single reply from him.

When I called his number this time, it was like a slap in my face when I’d found that he had turned off his phone. A part of me panicked, thinking he had changed his number but I calmed myself, giving it a more practical solution. Well, he might have just turned off his phone.

My inner voice screamed at me saying he changed his number! Give it up!

I wanted to smack my inner voice. This couldn’t be happening. Did he hate me that much? I know I would hate it if my ex kept calling me for a whole month, but I would never dump him without a reason. I kept calling his number for the next five minutes which kept saying that his phone was switched off.