Introduction

I stood in the middle of the train station, my mum and dad on either side of me. We were frozen in front of the platform sign, not sure what to do next. I had come here several times to drop Kris off, but this was my first time.  

“We’ll send Barney every week with a parcel and letter,” mum promised tearfully, referring to our Barn owl whom I had stupidly named Barney when I was five. I sighed and tried to remain cool- mum was making a huge scene and I could feel people looking at us.

“Yes, mum,” I nodded, my hands tight on the cart. I stared at the seemingly solid wall and shuddered. I had seen Kris do it loads of times, but now that it was my turn, I was a lot less sure.

“And if you ever need anything, we’ll be right over.” Mum started to tear up and I groaned. She got like this every year we dropped Kris off; we were only going to be gone for a school semester and then we were coming home for Christmas!

Right then, Kris walked over and laughed. “Mum, you can’t just show up at Hogwarts. You’re a muggle!” My old brother turned to me and placed his hand on my head, ruffling my long, brown hair. “Anyways, Jenna here has me to look after her! I’ll also tell the lads to keep an eye out for her.”

“Thanks, Kris. We really appreciate that.” Dad smiled and stepped forward, extending his arms out to Kris. “Enjoy your last year of Hogwarts, son, and don’t forget to keep little miss Jenna here out of trouble.”

Kris laughed and pulled away to stand next to me again. I looked up at him nervously and he smiled. Mum was off to the side, tearing up and dad was comforting her.

“You ready, little sis?” I leaned against him and glanced around at the train station. We were still on the muggle side; we always said our goodbyes out here because mum couldn’t pass through, as she’s a muggle. Dad used to go through with Kris when I was a lot younger, but this year it’ll just be me and Kris.

“As ready as ever,” I forced a smile and Kris waved goodbye to mum and dad, keeping his other arm around my shoulder. We held the cart between us and sprinted towards the wall, leaving the muggle world behind.