Year One

Kris and I walked down the aisle, each carrying our robes to change into. We had already dropped off our luggage, so we were burden free for the time being.

"I'm gonna go off and find my mates- will you be alright on your own? You could come if you want." Kris stopped us in the middle of the empty hallway- everyone else had already gone into separate compartments with their friends.

"I'll be fine." I smiled, secretly panicking. Soon I was going to be alone and without my older brother to protect me.

"Well, I'll be off now," Kris spun around goofily, before turning full circle again to face me. He held out his hand. "I'll hold on to your robes- just in case you lose them or rip them or blow them up. Mum and dad would kill you if you ruined your new, expensive robes."

I nodded gratefully and handed him the pile of black cloth that I would soon be donned in. I was slightly excited, slightly terrified about this next year. What house would I be sorted in to? Hopefully I'd be put with Kris in Gryffindor.

"I'll come back for you when we get closer and I'll take you to see the lads- we'll give you the secrets of Hogwarts or something." He ran his fingers through his short, dark brown hair, his bright blue eyes shining as they always did. Kris took a deep breath and cracked his neck- a terrible habit that mum had tried to rid him of for years.

"Sounds good," I said simply and Kris raised his hand for a high five. I returned it and he smirked, giving me a quick hug before turning and leaving. As he closed the door behind him, I turned around to look down at the empty hall. I could hear people laughing in other compartments and I felt my heart sink in my chest. The train had only started five minutes ago and everyone was already sectioned off.

I walked down the hallway, glimpsing in the windows to find an empty compartment. I could feel tears prickling in the corners of my eyes as I started to panic. Everyone had someone to laugh and talk with- I had no one. I got more desperate as I neared the end of the train segment and I still hadn't found an empty compartment.

My head was moving back and forth as I scanned the rooms, only to find everything so far was taken. I stopped at the end of the hall and held my breath. There was only one room left in the whole carriage. My last chance.

I turned slowly to my right to look at the compartment I hadn't checked yet. Empty. Taking a sigh of relief, I slid the door open. The worry slowly washed away as I stepped in. Hogwarts wasn't going to be so bad. I would meet new people, make friends, and learn how to use magic. It was going to be amazing.

Sitting down, I finally exhaled and looked out the window at the woods that were passing by. We had only left the city minutes ago, but this train was fast. Kris told me that it only took an hour to get to Hogwarts.

"Oh, sorry."

I jumped around immediately to look at the door to see a boy with bright red hair. He was tall- or at least pretty tall for his apparent age. He looked like he was in year one like me. I smiled at him and he blushed wildly.

"Sorry, I didn't know anyone was in here." He turned to walk away and I stood up quickly.

"No, you can stay. It'll be nice to finally meet another wizard outside of my family." I explained quickly, hoping that he would sit with me till we arrived at school. He seemed like a nice boy and maybe I would be lucky enough to be in the same house as him.

"Are you sure?" He turned back around and cautiously stepped forward. "I don't mean to be rude."

"It's no problem- really." I sat down and he followed suite, sitting across from me. We sat in silence for a few seconds while he stared intently at me. I could feel his eyes on me as I stared at the floor. He coughed quietly and I looked up.