Chapter Eight

Patton fidgeted a little outside the door of his boyfriend's apartment. Boyfriend was a very loose term, he felt. They'd now been on several dates and decided to try a relationship, but they were only a couple months into it, and boyfriend felt like a strong word. Nonetheless, he stood with his hands behind his back, hiding the gift he had prepared for him. 

He wasn't very good with using the typical methods of romance. Every partner he'd ever had would always tell him he didn't show them how much he loved them enough. Patton had always felt that he was very vocal about his feelings, but apparently that wasn't enough to them. 

Virgil wasn't like those old partners though. He could tell he was someone special, someone that may be able to understand him to be a unique lover. See, being a florist, he was better at communicating through flowers rather than chocolates or jewelry or stuffed animals; not that had anything against those gifts. 

Flowers was what he did best, and he decided that he'd gotten to know Virgil well enough to arrange a special bouquet of flowers just for him, and here he was, outside his door, getting ready for him to open it so that he could give it to him.

Patton jumped a little as the door opened and his boyfriend smiled at him in greeting. "Hey Pat, come on in," he said, beckoning inside his house. "What'd you want to do?"

"Actually, I wanted to give you this," he replied. He pulled the bouquet out from behind his back and handed it to the darkly dressed man with a shy smile. Virgil let out a little gasp of surprise as he took it from his hands gingerly. "I arranged it just for you."

He looked up at him in awe. "Really? Flowers have meanings, right?" Virgil asked, tilting his head in question. His boyfriend nodded a bit as he blushed. "What about these?"

Patton nodded, sighing in relief as he headed over to the couch to sit down. "Yeah, they do, I'm really glad you caught on," he said. "If you'd like I can explain them," he looked to him for an answer and received an excited nod, "because I tried to out my feelings for you into flowers to give to you. Let's see..."

He pointed to the soft purple lilacs. "These are lilacs and other than being purple and reminding me of you, they carry the symbolism of tranquility and passion."

"Oh really? Why'd you pick them for me?" Virgil asked curiously. 

"Because I always feel calm around you, and you're so passionate about your art, I thought they were perfect for you," the florist explained. "These bigger purple ones are hydrangeas which symbolize emotion and understanding. We're both very emotional people, I feel, and sometimes when I try to talk to others about how I'm feeling they don't get it, but you always do. These are chrysanthemums which stand for love, which is obvious, and loyalty, because I want to stay loyal to you for as long as you'll have me around; which brings me to the lavender. It stands for admiration, because I admire you very much, and luck, because with a bit of luck I was able to meet you."

The tattoo artist's eyes were a bit shiny with tears of joy as he finished his explanation. "That's so unbelievably sweet of you, Patton, thank you so much," he said, hugging him tightly. "I've never had a partner that's cared as much as you."

"Neither have I," he breathed as he hugged him back just as tightly.

Yeah, Virgil was definitely someone special.