Chapter 5: Die Like A Man

Killen: There we go. Home stretch.

The three cross a hurdle and move to a swampy street nearby.

Dante: Just to ask; there's nothing in these waters we need to worry about, right?

Bo: No....trust me...although, I did hear out further north that the radiation hit the bottom of the oceans and turned abyss sea creatures into....God knows what know...anyway, we don't need to worry, old man. You're fine.

The three men crossed the swamp.

Dante: You guys sure know what you're doing. I'll give you that.

Bo: What do you mean?

Dante: I mean, I know you guys have done this type of shit before, but....what I'm trying to say is thanks.

Bo: Yeah...don't mention it.

The three men reach the steps of the capital. They enter, only the find their former running party members, dead, gunned down.

Bo: Fuck! No....no...no...no

Bo runs over to the bodies.

Dante: What now?

Bo begins to frantically search a corpse's pockets.

Killen: What are you doing, Bo?

Bo: Looking for something....that can say what happened....they were organized....they were aware....this wasn't bandits or Blood Hogs....or even Zeus Corps...this had to be something else...Goddammit!

Killen: Something else like what?

Bo: I don't know, Killen! This wasn't supposed to happen! We've done this so many times! I don't see how it could've happened!

Dante: Again....what are we doing? Can we get back to your hometown without these guys?

Killen: Yeah....but it's not going to be as easy....these guys had a route....looks like whoever did this....took our mapping route.

Bo: Well....we gotta try, Killen.

Killen: how? We have no fucking safe route back home.

Bo stands up.

Bo: "Safe"? Look around you, Killen. This is an unsafe shitty world. It's been that way for a long time.

Killen: We do what we need to do to survive.

Bo: But, Killen-

Killen: It's over, Bo! Now, we tried. Let's just head back...and rest....we'll figure out something when we get back to our safehouse.

Dante: That safehouse that's through Skinner and Zeus Corps territory. We can't.

Killen: Well, we're going to have to.

Bo: Not me.....I'm not...this is my last run, Killen.

Killen looks at him confused.

Killen: What are you talking about?

Bo: Like you said; luck always runs out, right?

Killen reaches out for Bo.

Killen: Dude, what the hell are you-

Bo jumps back.

Bo: No! Don't touch me..

Dante: Fuck me....

Dante has a shocked look on his face.

Dante: You're infected.....aren't you?

Killen looks at Bo, who looked like he was on the verge of tears.