Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Methodology

Conversation around the table returned to normal after the announcement. Charlie watched him try and process the situation. He hadn't expected indifference, much less acceptance. She found herself wondering how someone who'd been so evil in a prior life hadn't so much as threatened to harm anyone in twenty years. Had he been controlling himself this whole time? She tapped her finger against the table, Yoshikage Kira was an interesting man, to be sure.

She stuck one of the wrapped asparagus segments into her mouth and sighed, savoring the crisp, salty prosciutto and the rich juicy asparagus. He was a very talented man, too. "Mr. Kira, really, this is amazing! Where'd you learn to cook?"

"I've always had certain standards when it came to food, and eating below them would always affect my mood and cause me stress. So I learned to cook to my specifications," he said, gesturing at his plate.

"That's important to you, isn't it?" Charlie said. "Avoiding stress."

He swallowed and wiped his mouth with a napkin, nodding. "I try and structure my life around routine and sleep. Anything that interrupts either is the enemy. I get eight hours of sleep every night, I go to work, and the spare time is filled with exercise and calming hobbies."

"What, like murder?" Angel said through a mouthful of caprese and egg, spraying out as he spoke.

"Angel!" Charlie scolded.

"It's alright," Kira said. "The cat's out of the bag, so to speak."

"Ha!" Husk barked from down the table.

Angel leaned in, pointing a mozzarella-laden fork at Kira. "So lemme ask ya somethin'! Why hands?"

Kira crossed his arms, examining his claws. "That's a legitimate question. I'm here to redeem myself, can't very well do that without some openness. As for your question, I honestly couldn't tell you. Ever since I was a boy, I've always been fascinated by them, their elegance, their beauty, their utility. As humans they're how we interact with the world. Powerful, destructive, and yet delicate. Sensitive. It only became a problem when the urge set in later in life."

"So, you admit that they were a problem?" Charlie said. "Your urges?"

"Well..." Kira paused, setting his fork down; she could see he hadn't ever considered his need to kill as a problem before, but was now. "I suppose...it got me killed, didn't it? And because of it I wound up here, in Hell. So, yes, it turned out being something of a hindrance to me."

"Charlie..." said Vaggie, a tense smile on her face. "Maybe the therapy stuff can wait until after lunch?"

"Oh! Right!" Charlie said, somewhat embarrassed. "Sorry, Mr. Kira. I get carried away. Maybe we can all get together later?"

Kira was staring his plate, brow creased before blinking and turning to her. "Hm? Sorry, I was...you were saying?"

"Well, I was thinking that maybe you, me and Angel could get together after lunch and have a group support session. It's really encouraging how you've come forward and opened up like this.

I'd like to touch bases with you both and see where we can go from here."

"Yes, yes, of course," he said, distracted. "Anything."

Charlie reached out and squeezed his hand, a warm smile on her face. "It's gonna be okay."

Charlie hummed to herself as she scrubbed the dishes, all in all things were going great! Their charming new customer had revealed some choice information about himself and seemed to have embraced the hotel's ethos. Two! Two clients! Two lost souls to rehabilitate! And who better to prove her theory than a ruthless, debauched gangster-whore and a paraphilic serial killer? If she could set them down the road to redemption, she could do it do anyone.