Chapter 11

The very next morning, Ryan went to the construction site to ask the construction worker some questions. He rode his motorcycle to the other side of town. On the way there, he became surprised to see what was going on.
"What in the world?...," he uttered to himself. He pulled over to the sidewalk, parked his motorcycle, took of his helmet, and slowly looked around. He scanned the scenery and came across the demolished bulldozer.
"Hmm, that must have been the machine that nearly killed Lyndsay," he said. The bulldozer was damaged from the tree. Ryan mumbled to himself, "Don't worry, Lyndsay. No one is going to kill you on my watch...now who's the owner of this bulldozer?"
Ryan began to walk around until he came across some police tape, a few police officers, and an ambulance. "What the-?" he uttered. He saw a police officer and quickly made his way over to him. "Excuse me? Officer?"
The officer turned around to make eye contact. "Good morning! The name is Officer Andrew McKnight. What can I do for you?" he introduced.
"Hello! My name is Ryan Jones, and I'm with the mystery teens. Um...what happened here?"
"Well apparently, one of the construction workers was killed last night and another one was injured."
"Well that's just great...another murderer to add to the list...If you don't mind me asking, what were the names of the one who got injured and the one who was killed?"
"Let's see..." The officer looked at the police report. "Hermit Macintosh was murdered, and Raymond Walker was injured."
"How was Mr. Macintosh murdered?" asked Ryan as he wrote the names down on his notepad.
"Um, follow me and I'll show you." He led Ryan over to the body bag on top of the gurney. The officer opened the bad at the head-end to reveal the dead body. Ryan's mouth dropped with sympathetic shock.
"Oh my word...," mumbled Ryan.
"Yeah...it turns out that whoever murdered him had apparently slaughtered him." The officer pulled the zipper down to open the bag. Ryan's eyes bulged up out of their sockets as he covered his mouth in silence.
"Do you mind if I took a few pictures for evidence? It's just to show my team members," asked Ryan.
"Of course, just not too many," answered Officer McKnight.
Ryan pulled out his phone and snapped a few pictures in order to show Rachelle and Lyndsay later on. After he captured a couple of shots, he slid his phone back into his pocket. "Officer McKnight?" he called.
The officer directed his attention back to Ryan. "Yes?" he answered.
"Where can I find Mr. Raymond Walker? The injured victim? I would like to ask him some questions."
"Oh! Right this way..." Officer McKnight led Ryan over to the available ambulance to where Raymond Walker was located. Ryan came face-to-face with a guy sitting on the back of an ambulance vehicle. "Here's Mr. Walker," announced the officer, using his hand to lure Ryan towards the victim.
"Thank you," said Ryan. The officer responded by nodding his head and left Ryan to his business.
Ryan walked up to a man holding an ice pack to the side of his forehead. "Excuse me?" he asked.
Raymond slowly raised up his head from the ice pack to make eye contact with Ryan. "Who wants to know?" he replied in an unsatisfying tone.
Ryan held up his pointer finger. "That would be me."
"What can I do for you?"
"The name is Ryan Jones, and on behalf of the mystery teens, I would like to ask you some questions."
"Okay...carry on."
Ryan pulled out his notepad and pen. "Can you tell me what had happened?" He began the interview.
"To be honest, I don't remember much," answered Raymond.
"That's okay. Just tell me what you can remember."
"It happened last night around...sometime late last night. My shift ended..." Raymond was having double remembering.
Ryan held up his hand. "It's okay, Mr. Walker. Take your time. I'm not going anywhere."
"My shift ended, and I was about to pack up," Mr. Walker continued. "My partner, Hermit Macintosh, and I were using the tractor and the bulldozer."
"Which one of you operates which machine?"
"Hermit operates the bulldozer, and I operate the tractor." Raymond witnessed the paramedics loading the dead body from the gurney and into the ambulance.
"Would he happen to be your partner?" asked Ryan as he pointed towards the ambulance.
Raymond slowly raised his head to take a look. "Yes sir," he answered.
"Did you happen to see the one who murdered him?" asked Ryan.
"No...to continue my story, I was shutting the tractor down and locking the doors when I heard a cry for help. I immediately stopped what I was doing and rushed over to check on Hermit. It was really dark, but I saw someone dressed in black, sort of...wrestling with Hermit. I don't know what really was going on, but it looked like that the stranger was fighting Hermit for the keys to the bulldozer. I don't know why they were wanting them, but it seems like they got a hold of them."
"What makes you think that?" wondered Ryan.
"After watching them fight for a few seconds, I realized that I should be calling the police. I squatted down behind a bush, pulled out my cellphone, and began to dial 9-1-1. Before I could even dial the last number, I heard Hermit screaming. I perked up from the bush and saw him getting severely stabbed multiple times. Before I knew it, his dead body was just laying there on the cement. I rushed over to him and quickly saw that the keys were missing."
"Okay...so where did the black eye come from?"
"Apparently, the killer attacked me. I went to go check Hermit's pulse, and the killer jumped me. We started fighting, and they punched me in the eye. I tried to fight back, but I was suddenly whacked in the back of the head. I woke up first thing this morning, and the bulldozer was gone. I don't know what they wanted it for, but it's pretty weird for someone to steal that machine."
"Well, I can tell you what they used it for," said Ryan. Raymond perked his head up and raised his eyebrows. "They tried to kill my girlfriend with it."
Raymond's eyes bulged up. "Is she alright?"
"Oh yeah, she's fine." Ryan glanced back to the damaged bulldozer. "So I'm guessing that that's the bulldozer that was stolen?" he asked as he pointed to it.
Raymond looked at the machine. "Yep...," he answered.
"Okay...so what happened to the keys from the bulldozer?"
"I don't know. I figured that they'd still be inside the machine, but the cop couldn't find anything."
"That's strange. Someone steals the bulldozer, wrecks it, and just takes off with the keys?"
Raymond nodded his head. "Sadly, that's what it sounds like."
"Okay...moving on to the next subject...were you able to get a good look at hte killer when they were attacking you guys?" Ryan began a new conversation.
"To be honest...it happened so fast that I wasn't able to get a good glance at them. But I can try to give you a few details."
Ryan held up his notepad, ready to jot down some notes. "I'll take anything that you got," he insisted.
"One big thing is that when they punched me in the eye, the force wasn't as strong as I expected."
Ryan squinted his eyes in slight confusion.
"What I'm trying to say is that I think that the killer was a girl," Raymond continued. "They wore a ski mask, but I could see their eyes. She had bright blue eyes and long black eyelashes. Apparently she was into karate, because she had some intricate moves when she was fighting Hermit. Another reason that it could've been a girl is that she recently got her nails done. I could see that she got a white-tip manicure."
"Anything else?" asked Ryan "Hair color? Height? Weight? Did she have any distinguishing feature?"
Raymond tried to remember. "She looked like she could've been five feet. She was also quite skinny; she may have weighed around 150 to 160 pounds. She even wore a small, silver, hoop nose ring. That's pretty much all that I can remember."
"Hmm..." Ryan put away his pen and notepad.
"I'm sorry, kid. I'm probably not that much help, but please find out who killed my best friend."
"Sir, you may not realize it, but you helped me a lot."
Raymond half smiled in part sympathy. Ryan placed a hand on Raymond's shoulder. "Don't worry. They tried to kill my girlfriend, and they're trying to kill my best friend too. I am not going down without a fight," said Ryan.
"Good luck, kid!"
"Thank you, Mr. Walker." Ryan and Raymond shook each other's hand.
Ryan began to leave the scene of the crime until he had a thought pop into his head. He stared at the damaged bulldozer until the cops left. He made sure that the coast was clear and hurried over to the machine.
He climbed inside the bulldozer. "Hmm, I wonder if I can find any evidence inside here," he mumbled as he began to look around. "Surely there has to be some pieces of evidence in here." He searched the interior of the equipment.
He looked around and saw a sharp silver point laying in the floor board on the driver's side. He put on a rubber glove on his right hand and slowly bent forward to carefully pick up the object. He had the object in the air by the fingertips, raised an eyebrow, and created a sly smile.
"Bingo! The murder weapon," he said as he looked at the hunting knife with blood on the tip. He pulled out an evidence bag from his back pocket and carefully placed the knife inside it. He then pulled out his pen and wrote, Hermit Macintosh: Murder Weapon on the front of the bag.
"The killer is so busted...," he muttered, evil laughing in a sarcastic tone. He started to climb out of the bulldozer until he spotted another piece of evidence in the passenger seat.
He discovered a black ski mask. "The killer must have worn this piece of clothing," he said. Ryan pulled out another evidence bag and slid the ski mask down into it. He then wrote, Evidence A: Construction Zone on it.
"Now we're getting somewhere...," he smirked as he stared at the evidence bags. Suddenly, he heard voices on the outside of the bulldozer. He sneakily perked up to look out the passenger window and instantly spotted the cops heading towards the machine.
"Uh oh...," Ryan quietly mumbled to himself. He rapidly shoved the evidence bags under his shirt, wiggled the door handle, jumped out of the driver's seat, and hid behind the nearest bush. He held his shirt in place, peaked through the leaves of hte bush, and watched the policemen. He witnessed he bulldozer being pulled away by a tow truck. The tow truck drove away with the damaged bulldozer, and the coast was officially clear.
"That was close..." Ryan pulled the evidence bags out from underneath his shirt. "I'd better get back to the hospital so that I can share this stuff with the girls." Ryan climbed back onto his motorcycle, put on his helmet, and began to ride to the hospital.
He was riding down the street to the hospital until Troy randomly stepped in front of him.
"Halt!" cried Troy as he held his palm up in Ryan's face. Ryan steered his motorcycle to the side while stopping in the middle of the road.
"What do you want, James?" grunted Ryan.
"Where are you heading off to?" asked Troy.
"None of your business."
Troy saw the evidence bags in Ryan's possession. "What do you have there?" he asked as he pointed to them.
Ryan looked at the bags and back to Troy. "Again...none of your business," he smirked.
Troy rolled his eyes off into the distance with a heavy sigh. "Ryan, I am a part of the team, so I have every right to know."
"Troy, you're not a part of the team anymore. You walked out on us, remember?"
"I didn't walk out y'all. You guys sent me home. Come on dude, there's a big difference."
"It doesn't matter how it happened. The point is: Why would we want someone, who doesn't keep us in any way, be a part of our team? I know that I wouldn't. As far as I know, it's just me, Rachelle, and Lyndsay now..."
Troy crossed up his arms.
"Now if you excuse me, I have work to do." Ryan put his helmet back on and started up his motorcycle again. "So...get out of my way." Ryan turned the right handle and headed back on his way to the hospital.
Troy watched Ryan drive away down the street with a disappointed look on his face. Ryan rode his way back to the hospital, shaking his head in annoyance.
After passing a couple of blocks, Ryan arrived at the hospital. "Rachelle?...Lyndsay?...," he whispered as he walked through the door to their room. Rachelle and Lyndsay slowly woke up from their sleep.
"Ryan?...," mumbled Rachelle, slowly opening her eyes.
"What are you doing here this early?" wondered Lyndsay, yawning.
Ryan quietly closed the door. "I just got done asking a few of the construction workers some questions," he answered.
"Oh really?" asked Rachelle.
Lyndsay sat up on the bed. "What do you have to share with us?" she asked.
"First, let me tell you that we have another dead one to add to the list," said Ryan.
"What?" cried the girls. They looked at each other in shock. Their eyes widened up, and their mouths dropped.
"What's the name?" asked Lyndsay.
"Hermit Macintosh, the operator of the bulldozer. When the bulldozer was stolen, the killer apparently stabbed him multiple times in order to get the keys from him," Ryan informed.
"Great..." Lyndsay sighed in dismay.
"But the good news is that we gained some more characteristics upon the killer."
"How?" asked Rachelle.
"When I arrived to the scene of the crime, I was able to speak to one of the other construction workers. Raymond Walker, the operator of the tractor, was injured. The killer punched him in the eye. Mr. Walker said that he was able to get a somewhat glance at the killer. Anyway, here's what I got," explained Ryan.
He pulled out his notepad.
"To begin...," Ryan reads off his written notes. "The criminal obviously a girl."
Lyndsay titled her head to the side and harshly lowered her eyebrows in confusion.
Ryan began again. "Mr. Walker also said that she was about five feet tall and weighed around 150 to 160 pounds."
"Okay...," mumbled Lyndsay.
"She has bright blue eyes and full black eyelashes. I guess that she wears a lot of makeup. She's also into karate and wears a silver hoop nose piercing."
Lyndsay and Rachelle looked at each other in confusion.
"Mr. Walker also stated that she has a white-tip manicure," Ryan finally finished.
"Anything else?" asked Lyndsay.
"Apparently..." Ryan closed his notepad. "That's all I got."
"So...let me get this straight..." Lyndsay looks at Ryan and points at him. "Write this down..."
Ryan frantically reopened his notepad-ready to make some more notes.
"The one that we're looking for is definitely a girl. She has blue eyes, wears a full face of makeup, and has a hoop nose piercing," reported Lyndsay. Ryan immediately jotted down each point at a time.
"She's five feet tall and weighs between 150 to 160 pounds. She's also a karate participant, and her nails have a white-tip manicure. That could be anybody," mentioned Rachelle.
"Well, we can't forget about the previous characteristics."
Rachelle raised an eyebrow.
"The girl is also left-handed, she has a hobby for bowling, and her intials are 'V.D.'," Lyndsay continued. She directed her attention back to Rachelle. "Rachelle...please tell me that you know someone with those characteristics." She pleaded in a begging tone.
"Not with the 'V.D.' initials," answered Rachelle.
Lyndsay sighed deeply of sorrow. "Now what do we do?"
Ryan and Rachelle shrugged their shoulders in disappointment. Suddenly, Ryan remembered something. "Wait a minute, I just remembered that I found two more pieces of evidence," he informed.
Lyndsay's eyes rapidly lit up like a Christmas tree. "Really?...," she hesitated excitedly. "Let's see them!"
"You got it!" He snapped his fingers in confidence. He pulled out the two evidence bags that he found inside the bulldozer. He handed Lyndsay the bag with the ski mask.
Lyndsay was excited. She grabbed the first bag and instantly became off guard. "Ryan?" she mumbled.
"Yes?" answered Ryan.
"What does a ski mask have to do with finding the killer?"
"I figured that you could locate some fingerprints on it."
Lyndsay looked at him with an unattractive look on her face. "Ryan? She was probably wearing gloves, because she knew that we'd try to recover her fingerprints."
"But Lyndsay...," pleaded Rachelle. Lyndsay turned her head to her best friend. "If Mr. Walker was specific on her nails, then that means that she must have worn fingerless gloves or something."
Lyndsay had a light bulb pop into her thoughts. "Good point!"
"And if she was fighting Mr. Macintosh, then she must have been sweating," Ryan added.
on her nails, then that means that she must have worn fingerless gloves or something."
Lyndsay had a light bulb pop into her thoughts. "Good point!"
"And if she was fighting Mr. Macintosh, then she must have been sweating," Ryan added.
Lyndsay had another light bulb pop into her thoughts. "There has to be drops of sweat left underneath this accessory." Her eyes lit up. "I can trace the drops of sweat from the ski mask. I mean, the drops of sweat will contain DNA samples."
"Booyah!"
Lyndsay and Ryan high-fives each other.
"Now, we're talking," encouraged Rachelle.
Lyndsay sat the first evidence bag down on the side table to her bed. "What else do you have for us?" she asked.
Ryan handed her the evidence bag with the bloody knife inside.
"Give me, give me, give me!" Lyndsay became super excited as she snatched the bag out of Ryan's hands. She looked at the bag with a smile until it slowly returned into a frown when she spotted something on the knife. She became frozen with shock, breathed heavily, and her mouth dropped open.
Ryan frantically became concerned. "Lyndsay? What's wrong?" he asked.
"Ryan?...Did you happen to take a good look at this knife when you found it?" Lyndsay spoke very shaky.
"What do you mean?" He walked over to the side of Lyndsay's bed.
Lyndsay shakingly handed him the bag. "Look at the leathered handle..."
Ryan moved his eyes from Lyndsay and towards the bag. His eyes immediately bulged up when he saw what Lyndsay saw. He then looked back at Lyndsay with nothing to say.
Rachelle suddenly became concerned. "Lyndsay? Ryan? What's going on?" she asked.
Ryan and Lyndsay looked at each other with blank expressions.
"Um..." Lyndsay directed her attention to Rachelle. "When..." She took a deep breath. "When Zack killed Paisley with that knife, what was the brand name of it?"
"Estrogen...," answered Rachelle.
Ryan became speechless.
"Okay...and didn't you previously say that his parents own that brand? Like his parents make that brand of hunting knives?" asked Lyndsay.
"Yes...," responded Rachelle. Ryan and Lyndsay shot a glance at each other and back at Rachelle. "Why?..." Rachelle became speechless.
"Ryan?" Lyndsay elbowed him in the stomach.
"Um...the knife that I found...well...the brand to it is also 'Estrogen'," said Ryan.
"What?" shrieked Rachelle. Her eyes became so big that they nearly popped out of their sockets.
Lyndsay tried to calm her down. "Rachelle, it's going to be okay. There's nothing to worry about."
Rachelle was completely freaking out. "If you found an Estrogen brand hunting knife, then that means that Zack is still alive!...and he's coming after me!"
"Rachelle, that's impossible! It's obviously a girl that's trying to kill you."
"Zack could've hired her to kill me in order to throw us off guard."
"Rachelle, there's no way that it can be Zack. He was reported dead weeks ago. I mean, you saw it with your own eyes on the news. Then again, all four of us saw the death report on the tv."
"He could've faked his death..."
"Why would he do that?"
"Again...to throw us off guard, so that we wouldn't even think of him as being the criminal."
Ryan rolled his eyes and sighed with dismay. Lyndsay laid her head on the palm of her hand and shook her head from side to side.
"Lyndsay, I'm not crazy. I know what I'm talking about," moaned Rachelle.
"Nobody said that you were crazy, Rachelle. I just don't want you to get worked up again," comforted Lyndsay. Rachelle plopped her head back down onto her pillows.
Lyndsay looked at Ryan. "I think that we may need to get the doctor back in here," she emphasized. Someone knocked on the door. "Dr. Baxter?" gasped Lyndsay.
Lyndsay shot a look back at Ryan. "I was kidding," she grunted as she fiercely punched him in the stomach.
"I didn't call for him!" Ryan hesitated.
"Good morning, everyone!" greeted Dr. Baxter. "Did I interrupt something?"
"Oh no sir. We were just finishing up our conversation," corrected Lyndsay.
"Okay...well, are you ready to get out of here?"
Lyndsay became excited. "Yes sir!..." She then became concerned. "Why?"
"Well, after keeping you here overnight, you responded great to the treatment."
Lyndsay's eyes began to fill with partial excitement.
"Anyway...congratulations, Ms. Schafer! You are ready to be released."
Lyndsay's mouth dropped as he hugged Ryan with happiness. "Thank you, Dr. Baxter!" she cheered.
"It's my pleasure. I'll have the nurse come in to remove your IV. Then we'll just have you sign out at the Nurse's Station."
"Thank you, doctor!" greeted Ryan. Him and Lyndsay shook the doctor's hand.
"Y'all have a great day," the doctor encouraged as he walked out of the room.
"Wait a minute!" cried Rachelle as she quickly became discouraged. "What about me? Aren't I able to be released too?"
A few seconds later, Nurse Andrea entered the room. "Knock, knock!" she greeted as she tapped on the door with her pointer knuckle. "I heard that somebody is ready to leave the hospital." She walked to the left side of Lyndsay's bed in order to remove her IV.
"Make that TWO somebody's," corrected Rachelle, holding up two fingers at the nurse. The nurse ignored Rachelle's comment and proceeded to remove Lyndsay's IV.
Lyndsay directed her attention to Rachelle. "Rachelle, you are in no condition to be released," she nagged.
"Why not?" begged Rachelle.
"You immediately fell to the floor when you tried to climb out of the bed. You're even barely able to stand up."
"Okay, Ms. Schafer. The IV is removed, and you're ready to go," informed Nurse Andrea as she cleaned up her mess.
"Thank you."
"When you're ready to go, I'll just have you come sign out at the Nurse's Station."
"Thank you, Nurse Andrea! I'll be there in a couple of minutes."
"No need to rush, just take your time." Nurse Andrea smiled at Lyndsay, patted her on the back, and left the room. Lyndsay proceeded to climb out of her bed very carefully and easily.
"Here, let me help you," Ryan offered as he held out an opened hand in front of her possession.
"I got it...," said Lyndsay as she stood up on her two feet. She then turned around and made eye contact with Rachelle.
Rachelle was frowning. "It's not fair. You get to leave, and I can't," she grunted.
"Rachelle..." Lyndsay walked over to her. "You have more than one situation going on. You had a concussion, you lost so much blood from your seizure, you got stabbed in the thigh, and you're barely able to focus."
Lyndsay saw the doubt in Rachelle's face. She placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, you'll be next."
Rachelle saw Lyndsay and Ryan smiling with confidence. Still upset on the inside, she half smiled up at Lyndsay. "Okay...," she mumbled.
Lyndsay smiled bigger and hugged Rachelle. "Now...," she began as she released the hug. "You get some rest, and I'll be back later." Her and Ryan walked out of the room and headed for the Nurse's Station.
They arrived at the Nurse's Station and discovered that there wasn't anybody at the desk. It agitated Lyndsay. "Seriously?" she criticized.
"What?" asked Ryan.
"She said to come sign out at the Nurse's Station. Well...there's not even one person here."
Ryan noticed a button on the countertop. "It's not a problem. All we have to do is push the 'ring bell for service' button."
Lyndsay didn't say a word as Ryan pushed the button.
"I'll be with you, shortly!" a voice called out to them.
"Thank you!" Ryan hollered. Lyndsay crossed her arms and looked at him with a disappointed smirk. "What?"
"That was rude!" grunted Lyndsay.
Ryan sighed unpleasantly. He took a deep breath. "Well...would you have rather waited for hours for someone?"
Lyndsay shook her head and rolled her eyes until she spotted a suspicious sticky note. It was stuck to the computer on the other side of the counter. "Hey, there's a phone number on the computer," she informed as she pointed to the sticky note.
Ryan and Lyndsay looked at each other with blank expressions. Lyndsay checked to make sure that the coast was clear and pulled herself over the desk. She pulled off the sticky note from the corner of the desktop monitor. Her and Ryan then took a look at the note.
"Do you happen to recognize this number?" she postulated.
"No, do you?" said Ryan. Lyndsay bit her bottom lip with a discouraged expression. Ryan displayed a smirk upon his face.
Lyndsay gasped. "I bet that I can look it up." Ryan nodded his head in order to show Lyndsay that she had a good idea. "There's only one way to find out," she added eagerly. She handed Ryan the sticky note and clicked on the Internet program on the computer. She then gasped once the program opened up.
"What's wrong?" hesitated Ryan.
"This tab contains all of the search history for the Ketamine drug," reported Lyndsay.
Ryan's eyes got bigger.
"Do you think that it could've been Rachelle's nurse that did this research?" Lyndsay added.
"But Lyndsay...her initials aren't 'V.D.' and she's right-handed."
"She could be working for the real killer. I mean, think about it. Every time that Rachelle was in danger, it was the same nurse every time. She probably knew that Rachelle would keep coming in here that she 'volunteered' to be her nurse. She probably did that, so she could secretly kill Rachelle on the spot."
"I don't know, Lyndsay."
"Ryan, the only way to find out is to do what we always do...ask the suspect some questions."
Lyndsay and Ryan suddenly heard the background voice getting louder. The nurse was moving. Their eyes widened up, and their mouths dropped.
"She's coming!" freaked Ryan.
"Quick! Help me over the desk!" huffed Lyndsay. She jumped back over the countertop as Ryan helped pull her over. She then straightened out her clothes and dusted off any other visible dust.
Nurse Andrea walked out of the back room. "How can I help you?" she asked politely. Lyndsay and Ryan softly smiled and generously waved at her. "Oh! Ms. Schafer, let me go get the sign-out sheet for your release."
Lyndsay smiled and nodded her head. The nurse left for a few seconds and came back with the release form. Ryan nudged Lyndsay in the arm. Lyndsay glanced at him and saw the sticky note in his hands. She grabbed it and sneakily slid it down in the right front pocket of her jeans.
"Okie dokie," began Andrea. She flipped to the next available sheet for Lyndsay's signature on the clipboard. Lyndsay grabbed a pen from the cup holder on the desk. "If I can just have you sign in the next available box." The nurse pointed to it with her pencil. "And put the date of your release in the next box."
Lyndsay filled out the two specific boxes and handed the clipboard back to the nurse.
"Thank you, sweetie! You kids have a great rest of the day and be careful out there," greeted Nurse Andrea. Lyndsay and Ryan began to exit through the front doors of the hospital. Nurse Andrea waved goodbye to the teens with a smile as they walked out the door.
The nurse laid the clipboard down on the desk beside her mousepad. "Now I just have to transfer this information into her file," she muttered to herself. She turned to face her computer screen. She immediately gasped. Her eyes bugged out when she saw all of the search history about the Ketamine drug.
"What the-?" she huffed in a whisper as she began to scroll through the information. She tried to delete the search tabs until Dr. Baxter walked by.
"Hello, Nurse Andrea," the doctor greeted. Andrea frantically jumped with fright and began to breathe heavily.
She soon realized that it was Dr. Baxter. "Oh, Dr. Baxter...hello...," she greeted.
"Are you okay? Did I scare you THAT bad?"
"You're fine. I was just looking up something on the Internet."
"Oh really? Would you like to share your research?"
"Oh...um...it was something personal." She took a breath after every word.
"Don't you realize that it's prohibited for employees to use the computer for personal use while on duty?" Dr. Baxter reminded her.
"Yes sir, but I..." Andrea began to get shaky on her words. Dr. Baxter crossed up his arms. "It was an emergency."
"Oh? Okay then, let's have a look." Dr. Baxter walked around the desk to look at the computer.
"Sir...I don't think that you would want to look at it," Andrea tried to warn him. Dr. Baxter pushed her out of the way and immediately looked at the screen. He soon became flabbergasted. He then looked at the nurse with a disappointed expression.
"So you're the one who gave Ms. Schafer the Ketamine injection?" he grunted in anger.
Andrea begged drastically. "Sir, I can explain. It wasn't me."
"It's all right here on your computer screen. It's YOUR computer under YOUR account."
"Somebody must have done it on my computer to frame me."
"Oh yeah? Like who?"
Andrea froze and became speechless.
"Come on..." Dr. Baxter grabbed her by the arm and lifted her out of the chair. "Let's go." He dragged her down the hall to his office.
"But sir, just let me explain..."