Chapter 18

It was the next morning. Lyndsay immediately woke up from her slumber, got dressed for the day, and rushed out the door to Ryan's house. She made it to Ryan's house and saw him walking out the front door.
    "Ryan!" screamed Lyndsay as she ran towards him.
    Ryan looked up from the ground. "Lyndsay?"
    Lyndsay caught up to him and was completely out of breath. Ryan placed a hand on her shoulder to listen to what she had to say.
    "What is it?" asked Ryan. He was immediately concerned.
    Lyndsay was trying to catch her breath. "Do...you...know...a...Trevor...Kent?..." she huffed out.
    "Who?"
    "Trevor Kent."
    Ryan expressed a confused, yet strange, smirk. "No, I don't think so. That name doesn't really sound familiar. Why?"
    "Last night, I tripped over Ms. Jensen's laptop and found this sticky note. It has a name and phone number written on it," Lyndsay informed as she showed Ryan the piece of paper.
    "Did you try calling the phone number?" asked Ryan.
    "No. I wasn't going to do anything until I told you and Troy about it."
    "Oh...okay then." Ryan walked over to his motorcycle, grabbed a helmet, and handed it to Lyndsay. "Well hop on.." Ryan put his helmet on. "We'll catch Troy at school." He climbed onto the motorcycle and started it up. Lyndsay put her helmet on, wrapped her arms around Ryan, and they rode off to school.
    After riding down the streets, Ryan and Lyndsay arrived at school. They removed their helmets and walked up to Troy, who slid out of the driver's seat of his truck.
    "Troy, I found another piece of evidence!" Lyndsay called out to him.
    "Really?" asked Troy.
    "Yeah. I tripped over Ms. Jensen's laptop and found this sticky note with this phone number written on it."
    "And it has a name to go with it," Ryan added.
    "Yeah. Do you know a Trevor Kent?" Lyndsay asked Troy.
    Troy sighed with dismay. "It doesn't really ring a bell..."
    "Crap..." Lyndsay became disappointed.
    "Have you tried calling the number? Maybe you can trace the location of the phone call."
    "I can do that, but I didn't want to do anything until I told both of you about it."
    "Well, let's do it right now." Troy began to head to the truck until Lyndsay grabbed his arm and yanked him down.
    "We can't do it right now, because as you can see, school is fixing to start," said Lyndsay.
    "Well let's do it after school. I mean, it's not a big deal," said Troy as Ryan helped him up.
    Lyndsay sarcastically rolled her eyes. "Well duh..." They walked into the building for school after the morning bell rang.
    After school, Lyndsay ran towards the motorcycle with Ryan and Troy running after her. "Lyndsay, where are you going?" asked Ryan.
    Lyndsay climbed onto the motorcycle and put on a helmet. "Come on!" she cried. She grabbed Ryan, threw him on the motorcycle behind her, shoved a helmet on his head, and started the motorcycle. "You better hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride."
    "Uh...Lyndsay...," mumbled Ryan, blushing.
    "What's the big deal? I hang on to you, and there's not a problem with it," answered Lyndsay.
    "Okay..." Ryan wrapped his arms around Lyndsay's waist.
    "Hang on!" Lyndsay backed up from the parking spot and headed into town.
    "So Lyndsay, do you mind telling me where we're going?" asked Ryan.
    "The police station."
    "Why?"
    "So that they can help us trace the location of this phone number."
    Ryan was slightly confused. "Why do we need to get them involved? I mean, can't we just do it ourselves?"
    "Well yeah...but it's more appropriate for us to get law enforcement on board."
    "Oh okay..."
    The teens headed downtown back to the jailhouse. When they arrived, Lyndsay and the boys headed to the front desk. "Officer Bangs!" Lyndsay called as she was almost out of breath. "We need some help...please..."
    "What can I do for you?" asked Officer Bangs.
    "We've found another suspect," Ryan added.
    Officer Bangs was surprised. "Really?"
    "Yes sir, and we'll need some assistance in tracking him down," said Lyndsay.
    "Say no more..." Officer Bangs rose up from his chair and grabbed his radio. "Follow me..." He led the teens to another room with some high-tech equipment.
    "This is Mike Winston," Officer Bangs introduced as he laid a hand on the guy's shoulder.
    Lyndsay and the boys shook Mike's hand as they introduced themselves.
    "He is magnificent when it comes to tracking down a criminal," Officer Bangs added.
    "What can I do for you guys?" asked Mike.
    Lyndsay handed him the sticky note. "We have this phone number, and we're needing to track it down so we can catch our suspect," she informed.
    Mike grabbed the sticky note. "Alright, let's see what we can do."
    Mike took a couple of minutes to set up his equipment.
    "Are we all set, Winston?" asked Officer Bangs. Mike gave him a thumbs up and put on his headphones. "Okay...," he began as he plugged in the headphones. He spoke to Ryan to begin the process. "I'm going to need you to call that number and keep the suspect talking so that I can fully trace the signal. Can you do that?"
    "Yes sir," answered Ryan as he put the side of his hand up to his forehead.
    "We can do it," Lyndsay added, smiling.
    "Let's get this party started, said Mike. He turned on the equipment and proceeded to mess around with it. "Are you ready?"
    Ryan nodded his head.
    "And go..." Mike pointed his finger to give him the signal.
    Ryan pulled out his cellphone, dialed the phone number, and placed the call on speaker. Everybody soon became silent as the phone was ringing.
    "Hello?" greeted the person on the other line.
    "Is this Trevor Kent?" asked Ryan.
    "Yes. Who wants to know?"
    Ryan began to freak out.
    "You have to say something," whispered Mike.
    Ryan whispered back to Mike while holding the phone. "I don't know what to say."
    "Oh man...," sighed Troy, rolling his eyes. "Give me that..." He snatched the phone from Ryan's hands. "Listen...Trevor...Have you committed any crimes lately?"
    Lyndsay slapped Troy on the shoulder with her eyes popped out. "Troy!..." she grunted her teeth.
    "Don't worry, I got this...," he whispered back.
    "It's something," Ryan added. He turned to Mike. "How are we doing, Mr. Winston?"
    "We're getting there. You just have to keep him talking," reported Mike.
    "Have I committed any crimes lately?" Trevor questioned, carelessly.
    "Yes sir...," said Troy.
    "That actually falls under the category of 'none of your business'. Who is this?"
    The kids became silent, and Mike rotated his hand at them to keep them going.
    "You don't recognize me?" Troy continued.
    "No..." Trevor was becoming agitated.
    "It's your old pen pal. The one who you met in juvy down in Florida, remember?"
    "You do realize that I don't have a pen pal, right? Who is this? You better tell me, or I'm calling the cops."
    "We got him!" announced Mike.
    "You tracked him down?" asked Lyndsay.
    "Yep."
    "Let's move out!" ordered Officer Bangs.
    Troy hung up the phone call, and everybody headed out the door. Ryan hopped on his motorcycle with Lyndsay behind him. Troy drove his truck, and Mike rode with Officer Bangs in the police car.
    "Okay, Mr. Winston...," began Officer Bangs. He attached his seatbelt and started up the vehicle. "Where are we headed?"
    Mike looked at his GPS paperwork. "It looks like that the suspect lives about ten miles outside of Lincoln. His house is located up on a hill out in the country."
    "I hear you loud and clear..." Officer Bangs turned on the siren and the police lights. Everybody immediately headed out into the country. Officer Bangs and Mike were up front leading the way. Troy was behind the police car. Ryan and Lyndsay were following Troy.
    After cruising for a little over ten miles, everybody made it to the designated location. The house looked entirely deserted. It looked like that it was hit by more than one tornado. Lyndsay, Troy, and Ryan approached the front door with Officer Bangs and Mike hiding, being out of sight. Lyndsay knocked on the door, and the door slightly opened. Trevor barely popped his head through the opening.
    "Trevor Kent?" asked Lyndsay.
    "Who's asking?" demanded Trevor without a care in the world.
    Lyndsay began to introduce herself. "I'm here to..."
    "No, I don't want any Girl Scout Cookies..." Trevor fiercely slammed the door in Lyndsay's face.
    Lyndsay blinked a few times as her life was blown up in her face. "Okay...," she mumbled, thinking that that was rude. "Well that was totally unexpected."
    "What happened?" asked Troy.
    "Before I could introduce myself, he got the feeling that I was selling Girl Scout Cookies and slammed the door in my face," Lyndsay reported. Ryan and Troy scrunched up their facial features and looked at each other with confusion.
    "Well, let's try it again...," suggested Ryan.
    "Only with all three of us," Troy added with a sly brow and smile. Lyndsay flashed and expression of determination.
    They walked back up to the door, and Lyndsay knocked. Trevor opened the door and became a little agitated. "I told you that I don't want any Girl Scout Cookies!" he grunted. He then slammed the door again.
    The teens looked at each other with agitation.
    Lyndsay knocked on the door for the third time, and Trevor answered. "I am 17 years-old, so I'm way too old to be a girl scout," she snarled fiercely.
    "Oh good for you...," Trevor snarled back as he slammed the door again.
    Lyndsay grunted her teeth. "I give up!..." She threw her hands up and walked away.
    "Let us take a whack at it," Troy insisted.
    Ryan banged on the door with his fist. "Yo Kent! Open up!" he yelled.
    Trevor flung the door open. "What do you want, punk?" he growled.
    "Ryan Jones. Troy James. Learn them."
    "Okay..." Trevor rolled his eyes.
    "You need to come with us."
    "I'm good..." Trevor slammed the door in Ryan's face.
    Ryan looked at Troy. They rolled their eyes, and Ryan banged on the door again.
    Trevor flung open the door again, ferociously. "If you kids don't get off of my property, then I'm going to call the cops. Now leave!" he threatened. He slammed the door shut one last time. Troy and Ryan looked at each other again and sarcastically rolled their eyes. They sighed.
    "Officer Bangs?" called Ryan. The police officer perked up. "He's not budging."
    Officer Bangs approached the front door
    "We can't even seem to make a conversation with him," added Troy.
    "Well then...," began Officer Bangs. He pulled out his gun from his holster. "It looks like that it's my turn..." He took a step back, exhaled a deep breath, and ferociously kicked the door open with the sole of his shoe.
    "Mr. Kent?" called out the officer. Trevor entered the living room from the kitchen and was surprised to see a cop in his house.
    "I'm glad that you're here, officer. There are these annoying kids outside who keep stalking me," said Trevor.
    "'Annoying kids'?" smirked Lyndsay as her and the boys entered the house behind Officer Bangs.
    Trevor's eyes immediately bulged up. "I don't understand..."
    "These 'annoying kids' are working with me," said Officer Bangs. There was silence.
    "Mr. Kent, we've come to realize that you are illegally possessing a container of Diethyl Ether and the Indian drug Ketamine," Lyndsay informed..
    "That's preposterous..." Trevor crossed up his arms. "I've never seen those items in my life. How am I suppose to know what you're talking about based on that theory, huh?"
    Officer Bangs moved up closer into Trevor's face. "Then I guess that you wouldn't mind if we have a look around..."
    "Sure...go ahead..."
    Lyndsay approached the living room closet and twisted the doorknob.
    "But you're not going to find...," Trevor continued. Lyndsay opened the door. The Diethyl Ether and Ketamine drug were found inside the closet.
    "Anything...," Trevor finished.
    Trevor immediately froze up when he saw the substances.
    Officer Bangs looked at the items and back at Trevor. He crossed up his arms, raised his eyebrows, and bit his bottom lip. He looked at Trevor with a dead stare.
    "Officer, I don't know how those got in there, I swear," pleaded Trevor.
    Officer Bangs looked at the teens, and the teens gave him an evil sly smile. He released his arms, sighed, and approached Trevor. "Turn around...," he ordered.
    Trevor pleaded frantically. "Wait a minute!..." He was turned around to face the wall.

"Trevor Kent, you're under arrest for illegal possession of Diethyl Ether and Ketamine. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in the court of law." Officer Bangs cuffed the suspect and walked him out the door to the police car.
    "We got him!" cheered Troy as he high-fived Lyndsay and Ryan.
    "Well...," began Lyndsay, slightly bummed. "The killer's accomplice..."
    "Hey..." Ryan placed a hand on Lyndsay's shoulder. "It's better than nothing."
    Lyndsay half smiled.
    The teens walked out the front door and approached their rides. Officer Bangs put Trevor in the back of the police car.
    "Officer, please! I'm telling you that I'm innocent...," pleaded Trevor.
    "Tell it to the judge!" grunted Officer Bangs as he slammed the door shut. Him and Mike Winston headed back to the county jailhouse. Lyndsay and the boys watched them drive off.
    "Well...I'm sorry to do this, but I need to get going. It's getting late," said Troy.
    "Okay, we'll see you later," replied Ryan.
    Troy climbed into the truck. Ryan and Lyndsay waved goodbye as they watched him leave.
    "I guess that we might as well head on to the county jail," Ryan suggested to Lyndsay. Ryan hopped on the motorcycle. Lyndsay hopped on behind him and wrapped her arms around him in order to hang on.
    It wasn't long until they arrived back at the county jail. Officer Bangs led the suspect into the available interrogation room with Lyndsay and Ryan following him. He then stood outside of the room, in the hallway, to let the teens question the suspect.
    Once everybody was settled in the room, Lyndsay began the interrogation.
    "So Trevor...," she began as she took a deep breath. "As we were saying earlier, I'm Lyndsay Schafer, and this is Ryan Jones."
    "Look, you kids didn't have to get harsh on me. I politely said that I didn't want any Girl Scout Cookies, and then y'all bring me to jail for me saying, 'no'? That's really uncalled for, you know," said Trevor.
    Lyndsay began to lose her temper. She took his head and slammed it forward down on the metal table.
    "We're not selling any Girl Scout Cookies, you barnacle head!" Lyndsay raised her voice.
    "Ouch!" Trevor grunted with pain. "Seriously?"
    Lyndsay stared at him as he whined in agony.
    Several minutes later, Lyndsay sighed and crossed up her arms. "Are you done yet?"
    "Sure...now what can I do for you?" answered Trevor.
    "We're going to ask you some questions, and you're going to give us some answers."
    "But what if I don't want to answer any of your questions, sweet cheeks?"
    "Oh..." Lyndsay pulled out a taser. "We're going to make sure that you do..." She displayed an evil smile as she turned on the device..
    Trevor flashed a sly brow and smiled. "Do you really think that that little device is going to scare me?"
    Lyndsay half smiled and raised an eyebrow. "I don't know...let's find out..." She tazed him.
    Trevor's eyes widened up with heavy breathing.
    There was a moment of silence.
    "Did that get your attention?" Lyndsay snarled enviously.
    "Fine...I guess that I'll answer your stupid questions," hissed Trevor.
    "Oh don't worry...you...will..." Lyndsay winked at Ryan ever so deviously. Ryan half smiled enviously, crossed up his arms, and leaned up against the wall.
    Back at the Truman household, it was around 7:30p.m. when Rachelle's mother popped into Rachelle's bedroom.
    "Hey, honey...your father and I are going to go out tonight. He's taking me out to dinner for our 10-year anniversary. Are you going to be okay by yourself for an hour or two?" said Mrs. Truman.
    "Yes ma'am," answered Rachelle, smiling. "I'll be able to call Lyndsay if I need anything."
    "Okay. I just wanted to make sure."
    "I hope that y'all have fun!"
    Rachelle's mother blew her a kiss, shut the door, and left the house with her husband. Rachelle yawned and fell asleep to get some rest.
    Moving back to the county jail, Lyndsay was continuing the interrogation with Trevor Kent.
    "So Trevor..." she began.
    "Here we go...," mumbled Trevor as he rolled his eyes off into the distance.
    "Explain to me why you were illegally possessing a jug of Diethyl Ether and a bottle of Ketamine."
    "Like I told you back at my house, I have no idea how those got into my closet!"
    "Give me a break..." Lyndsay rolled her eyes. "We know that you know how they were in your household."
    "Oh really?..." Trevor snarled sarcastically. Lyndsay nodded her head. "How?" Trevor snarled again, sarcastically.
    "It's clear that you purchased those items for not you, but for someone else. A woman, perhaps...," Lyndsay informed, smiling deviously.
    Trevor began to become nervous.
    "I may have, but how is it illegal for me to have them in my household?" he hissed.
    Ryan had an unattractive pout on his face. "You illegally purchased them and let that woman use them to try and kill an innocent teenage girl."
    "Okay...so then, what's your point here?"
    Lyndsay slightly began to lose her temper again. She immediately tazed him. "We're asking the questions here, not you!"
    Trevor breathed heavily from the stinging pain..
    "The Diethyl Ether is used to help start a fire, and the Ketamine drug is Indian-related," Ryan informed.
    "The Ketamine drug is from India, and it's illegal for it to be brought into the United States. That clearly means that you're illegally possessing those items in your household," Lyndsay added.
    "Maybe I am illegally possessing them, but what makes you think that I used them?" smirked Trevor, sarcastically.
    "The woman that you purchased those items for is using them."
    "She is? Oh dear, I had no idea," he snarled sarcastically.
    Lyndsay tazed him again as she became a little agitated. "You did too know! You purchased those items for her, so she could use them to try and murder 17 year-old Rachelle Truman."
    Trevor didn't say a word. He kept quiet.
    "The Diethyl Ether was used to set Rachelle's backyard pool on fire while she was in there. Your boss wants Rachelle dead. Now you're going to tell me why, and you're going to tell me now. Why does she want Rachelle Truman dead?" Lyndsay continued.
Trevor continued with the sarcasm. "I don't even know who you're talking about. I don't even know who Rachelle Truman is. Then again, I don't understand how all of this involves me."
    Lyndsay flared her nostrils with anger and tazed him again. Ryan shook his head with annoyance.
    It was about 8:15p.m. at the Truman household. Rachelle was asleep when she immediately became startled. She suddenly heard strange noises coming from downstairs. She hesitantly picked up the house phone from her nightstand and quickly dialed Troy's number.
    "Rachelle? What's wrong?" asked Troy when he answered the phone. He became really concerned.
    "It sounds like that someone is breaking into my house," mumbled Rachelle, breathing hesitantly.
    "Where are your parents?"
    "They went out to dinner for their 10-year anniversary. They won't be home for another hour or two. You've got to help me."
    "Don't move! I'll be right--."
    The landline was suddenly cut off.
    "Troy?...Troy?...Troy!" cried Rachelle.
    A few seconds later, her bedroom door slowly opened. Her heart rapidly stopped beating.
    "Hello, Rachelle Truman," greeted an unusual voice.
    A strange woman entered into Rachelle's room. She was about five feet tall and weighed around 120 pounds. She had long blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Her lashes were full, and had a white-tip french manicure on her nails. She also had a silver hoop nose piercing.
    She wore a dark hunting outfit. She had on a medium shade navy blue jumpsuit with a black tie belt wrapped around her waist where the knot was on her left side. The top of her shirt was sleeveless, and she had a thick band wrapped around her abdomen. It had three bedazzled straps that were belted together along the thick black band. There were two skinny black bedazzled bands belted around her upper left thigh. She wore black boots that went up to her knees. They were folded backwards just about two to three inches. She had two more of those same black, skinny, bedazzled belts wrapped around her right cav muscles, being about two inches below the folded boot cuff. She wore thin-clothed, black, fingerless gloves that went up two inches past her elbows. The gloves each had a diamond-shaped cutout on top of the hands. Finally, the woman had a black hood on her head that hooked at the front of her collarbone with a red jewel closure.
    Rachelle was freaking out. "Who are you? What do you want?" she hesitated with fright.
    "The name is Veronica Dixon, and I happen to be Zack's cousin. What I want from you is for you to finally die. You will die one way or another," the woman introduced.
    "I don't understand..." Rachelle's mouth dropped with hesitation.
    "It was Zacik who wanted you dead all along, sweetie. Unfortunately when he tried to escape, the cops decided to shoot him dead. It was that time when I realized that I'd be the one to fulfill his destiny--making sure that you die."
    Veronica pointed the gun at Rachelle. Rachelle's eyes widened up as she froze. Veronica released the trigger, and Rachelle frantically dodged it.
    Rachelle grabbed her cellphone and began to dial until Veronica shot it out of Rachelle's hand. The bullet scraped across Rachelle's palm and began to gush out blood. Rachelle grunted with fierce pain as she held her hand in agonizing mercy.
    "You know, it would be much easier if you would be still," smirked Veronica as she began to take another shot.
    Rachelle saw Veronica moving closer to the bed. She grabbed the lamp from her nightstand and threw it at Veronica. Veronica fell to the floor. Rachelle, constantly breathing heavily, attempted to climb out of bed until she fell onto the floor. She slowly rose back up onto her feet and headed for her bedroom door. She made it to the top of the staircase, and Veronica gained consciousness.
    Veronica saw Rachelle escaping. She grabbed the lamp and ferociously whacked Rachelle in the back of the head. Rachelle trampled down the stairs and landed on her back on the living room floor, lying in pain and agony.
    Rachelle, beginning to lose consciousness, grunted her teeth in pain. She saw Veronica standing over her with the gun pointing down on her. Rachelle gasped in fear.
    "Say goodnight, Rachelle Truman," threatened Veronica.
    Rachelle saw a gun underneath the couch. She painfully grabbed it and immediately took a shot at Veronica. Veronica fell backwards on the floor, dead. Rachelle immediately lost consciousness and threw her head onto the floor out cold.
    A little bit later, Troy arrived at the Truman household. He called out for Rachelle, but there was no answer. He used his foot to bust open the front door and saw Rachelle lying on the floor, unconscious.
    Troy kneeled down on the floor next to Rachelle and carefully picked up her head.
    "Rachelle?...Rachelle?...," he hesitated. He began to panic, so he checked her pulse. "Thank goodness that she's still breathing."
    Troy pulled out his cellphone and dialed 9-1-1. Seconds later, the ambulance was on the way. "Don't worry, Rachelle. We'll get you to the hospital," Troy mumbled to Rachelle. He used his cellphone again. "I'd better call Ryan."
    Back at the prison, Ryan received a phone call from Troy. He excused himself and headed out into the hallway to answer it.
    "Who wants Rachelle dead? What's the name?" Lyndsay ferociously demanded as she clenched Trevor's shirt in her knuckles.
    "She promised me not to tell anyone," hesitated Trevor..
    "You better tell me the name, or you'll wind up dead yourself," Lyndsay demanded, grunting her teeth.
    A couple seconds later, Ryan entered back into the interrogation room. "Lyndsay, we've got to go. Rachelle's in trouble," he reported.
    "What?" Lyndsay was freaking out on the inside.
    "Troy just called, and he found Rachelle lying unconscious on her living room floor."
    "I'm giving you one last chance. What is the name of the one who wants Rachelle dead!" Lyndsay grunted her teeth at Trevor again.
    Ryan snatched Lyndsay by the arm, carried her in his arm down by his side, and hurried out the door.
    "I wasn't done with him," Lyndsay smirked.
    "It doesn't matter right now," hissed Ryan. "We've got to get over there now."
    Ryan threw Lyndsay onto the back of the motorcycle, shoved a helmet on her head, and climbed on as well.
    "You better hang on...," he informed as he started up the motorcycle.
    Lyndsay wrapped her arms around Ryan's stomach, and they headed to Rachelle's house.