Prologue

Evelyn and Dan strolled through the park. The light pink cherry blossoms hanging low above them. She took off her coat, folding it over her arm.

Spring was warmer than usual this year.

Children were already out in full force, running around in T-shirts and jeans.

She glanced toward the playground and smiled ruefully as she saw the huge grins plastered on the children's faces.

She loved watching children at playgrounds. She loved listening to the high-pitch, carefree laughter and shrieks of joy as they ran spiritedly, flailing their hands about.

"I used to love playing at the playground until my parents forced me to take my sister along," Dan suddenly said.

She shook her head with a grin, but didn't say anything. She felt Dan's eyes on her, waiting, she supposed, for her to share an anecdote of her own.

But she didn't like to think about the past—no, she didn't allow herself to think of the past.

"Do you want to head over to the mansion for dinner tonight? Or would you rather we go somewhere else?" Dan asked after a moment.

She turned her head back to him and pursed her lips. It felt weird going over to Kate's house when she wasn't around. "Somewhere else."

"Are you going to stay away from the mansion until they come back from their honeymoon?"

One of her shoulders inched up as she gave him a nonchalant shrug.

"You can still head over even though she isn't around, you know?"

"I know." She smiled, then continued. "Where do you want to go for dinner?"

She was glad that Kate's wedding had resulted in the need for her and Dan to work together. She was reluctant at first, thinking it was better that she stayed away from him.

Things between them were complicated.

They were good together, but they weren't meant to be.

She wasn't meant to be someone's girlfriend; she wasn't meant to be in a relationship.

She wished things between them could remain like this forever—simple, just two friends hanging out together.

"How about—" Dan looked down toward the floor.

A young girl wearing a bright-pink dress printed with large blue flowers ran right into Dan's legs, fell back, and landed heavily on her bum.

Dan immediately knelt down and lifted the young girl to her feet.

The young girl stared at him with wide, frightened eyes, seemingly ready to burst into tears.

Even being down on one knee, Dan towered over the girl. And his broad shoulders must have made him seem like a giant to her.

"Are you all right?" Dan asked with a small smile and a light pat on her head.

The girl nodded slowly, her lips curling to reflect Dan's.

"Are you hurt?"

"No," the young girl replied.

"Abi!" A woman wearing a light purple top came running over. "I'm so sorry; she never looks where she's going," the woman said as she scooped the young girl into her arms.

"It's okay," Dan said, grinning at the girl. "Don't worry about it."

"Bye." The young girl grinned and waved as her mother carried her back toward the playground.

Evelyn watched Dan return the girl's wave.

Dan would make a great father. The kind of father who would be there for their children; the kind of father a kid would be proud to have.

He was responsible and extremely patient.

She'd worked with him and seen how he was with his staff. When things went wrong, he never lost his temper. Instead, he always focused on solving the problem. Then he would give a stern warning that such mistakes should be avoided.

What she admired most was how he would never bring up the subject again.

Even with her, even after all that she'd put him through, he would always turn up whenever she needed him.

"Cute girl," Dan commented.

"You think every child is cute."

He grinned and shrugged.

"You'll be a great father."

"I sure hope so. I've been babysitting Joanne forever," he said. "And I'm sure you would be a great mother."

She hitched her handbag higher up against her shoulder.

"Don't you want to have a family?"

Her fingers tightened around the strap of her handbag.

This was why they weren't meant to be; they were so different. "I know you do."

"Yeah, and you don't?"

Again, she adjusted the strap on her shoulder. "I already have a family. I have Kate."

Though Kate wasn't related to her, they were closer than most sisters were. Kate would probably be the only family that Evelyn would ever have.

His head bobbed up and down as he stared ahead.

They continued strolling through the park, walking side by side, neither saying anything.

Evelyn gazed at a mother walking past them. The young mother held a baby in her arms, rocking gently as she cooed the baby back to sleep.

She turned her head from the mother and child.

She wouldn't know how to be a mother anyway. She didn't know a single lullaby. She didn't know how to bake cookies. She didn't even know what a normal childhood was.

It was better that someone like her didn't have children.

"So what do you want to have for dinner?" Dan asked.

Dan deserved better. He shouldn't be wasting time on someone who could never give him what he wanted.

Pressing her lips into a thin line, she turned to him. "Actually ..." She paused as she felt the vibrations in her bag. "One minute."

She pulled out her phone and frowned at the unfamiliar number. "Hello?"

"Hi, Mandy."

Evelyn's face blanked. "Wrong number," she said and ended the call.

"Is everything all right?"

She forced a smile as she looked up at Dan. "Yeah, but I have to go."

"Now?"

"Yeah." She turned and walked away from Dan without another word.

"And dinner?"

She drew a deep breath and turned back to him. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Eve—"

"I really have to go."

She spun around and strode toward the parking lot, still clenching the phone in her hand.

_________________________________________________________

New part will be uploaded every week! Do vote and add to your reading list if you enjoyed this!