CHL: Chapter Nine

Nikolai Lyev Baranov

Time stood still, barren and unmoving.

Hazel brown bore into cerulean blue, everything around us stopping in place. It was as if there was electricity flowing in between our orbs while the hair on our arms stood to full attention. I got goosebumps and I felt dizzy. Is this what it was like to finally look into the eyes of your precious mate?

Yea, my precious mate, the one who took me for a murderer.

My left eye began to burn but I ignored it, biting on my bottom lips as tears pooled down my cheeks. How long had it been? If I recalled, it had been longer than five years but less than six. Right, because our birthday was just in a few days and I finally had the chance to see him once again, to feel him looking at me, to know that I was his sole focus. There were no words to describe how exhilarating it felt to see him once again. I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream, hell, I even wanted to shift. I missed him and I needed him like I needed air.

It was as if I looked at him and every memory since the day we met flashed through my eyes like I was watching a biographical movie of myself. I remembered his song that he sang to me, the way that he looked at me, the way his lips quirked up in the corners as he gazed at me like I was the only one in his life that mattered. I missed it all. I missed the way that he would run a hand through my hair when I was sleeping. I missed the way that he had a whole planner dedicated to me because then, I knew just how important I was to him.

'Wow...' Lance breathed in awe, the sun opening the gates to the heavens as angels began to sing all around us. I couldn't see the people around us. They just blurred into nothing as I stared at him, ignoring Imani's pokes. He looked so beautifully different, tall and thick in muscles, his hazel eyes brightening with a gold rim around the orb. He had changed, I could tell. I could sense the danger in his aura, how menacing and malicious he could be. Even so, I could still tell how warm and kind his heart was, how much he missed me even if he denied it with a passion.

"Oh." I breathed, breaking the silence as Trace stared at me. I found myself remembering all the times I cried at night because I wished to be in his arms. How painful it was. A small smile came to my face as a tear trickled down ever so slowly, falling and crashing on my open palm. My lips quivered but sure enough, I still held it in. I felt like I was floating, cruising in an empty space. I could hear his wolf howling to mine as if they were finally connected after all this time. He and his wolf probably never knew that we were mates because I had the feeling that he was a special type of wolf. His eyes changed colors when he didn't notice, his claws turned red and oozed clear liquid. His tail was spiked, ripping along the trees. He thought I didn't notice. In my opinion, he never knew that I was his mate until he looked me in the eye after all this time.

My scent wasn't near and it was long since faded in this household. He was sixteen, which meant that he had a year, but as you know, things change. My scent was still hidden but it would've been useless because when I looked into his eyes, everything changed.

"Nikolai, why is your left eye silver?" Imani whispered into my ear, breaking my trance. It was good that she did because I would have fallen deeper into that abyss, knowing nothing but him. I reached a hand up to my eye, noticing that something was amiss. "Your eyes were blue all this time. Why did it change?" I chuckled, sniffling as I stared at Trace, who stared back at me. It was all ethereal and I couldn't believe that this was happening. Right here and right now. "When I was banished six years ago, my omega couldn't believe it and succumbed to the pain. Omegas are known for their distinct eye colors," I whispered, knowing that Trace heard every single word.

Mate, how long had it been since I've been in your arms?

"Now, he's back as you can see..." I trailed off, unsure of how to feel. I was over the moon and no matter how much the crowd taunting me, I was finally able to look into the eyes of the man I loved.