Chapter 1

10 years later
................
I'm living in a house of my own. Im 23 now. not married and have no kids. I ran into DeNunez once when I went back to California for a visit a couple months ago and we kept in touch after that.
DeNunez was married and has three, 3 year old sons and coaches their little league team called, the Heaters. DeNunez told me what happened to all of the other sandlot boys.
Smalls became a reporter on one of the speakers at the Major League Baseball games, Bertram disappeared and no one ever saw him again, Timmy and Timmy invented mini malls, Ham became a professional wrestler, squints married Wendy Pefercorn and they had 9 children, yeah-yeah became a professional bungee jumper and had a girlfriend named Tiana, Jessica became a professional hairdresser and got married to Andrew who became a race car driver. They have 2 kids. And last of all, Benny got into the major leagues and played for his dream team, the Los Angels Dodgers, but DeNunez didn't tell me if Benny was married or not.
I Was proud to know that all of them became successful, except for Bertram. I was sad that he disappeared. I grab my keys as I head out to a meeting with the owners of MLB. I've been trying for five years to become the first girl to join the major leagues.
I get in my car, which was a yellow Camaro. Yeah, I didn't lose my style. It took an hour to reach the "MLB head quarters". I got out of the car and walked inside. The place was huge. I got a letter saying to go to room #24. I followed the map that I found at the front desk and finally reached a door.
I knocked and there was no answer. Then I knocked again and finally the door opened up. There was a long table in the middle of the room where three people where sitting. Then all around the room, Chairs were set in a circular shape. A bunch of men dressed in baseball uniforms were sitting in the chairs. They must be the players, I thought.
They all must be deciding what to do with me. Some of the men whistled when I walked in and I gave them dirty looks. Others just laughed that a girl want's to play for the major leagues.
I sat down in a chair that was in the middle of the room, right in front of the long table.
"So, we've heard that your pretty good at baseball and that you've been trying to make it in the major leagues," says one of the men at the long table.
"Yes," I nod, "I want to be the first girl to do it." all of the players stare at me and laugh.
"Ha, sweet Heart, go back to your soft softball. Cause the hard balls are for men and men only," says one of the players.
Oh jeez. This is like the sandlot all over again.
"Hey, leave the women alone," says a deep voice. I turn to see a tall man walk through the door. Wait. That's Benny!! He looked EXACTLY the same, only taller. My eyes get wide and he stared at me. He probably doesn't recognize me. I straightened my hair this morning and my face is less chubby and more narrow than it was when I met him.
"Benny?" I say. He tilted his head, leans on the door frame, and crosses his arms.
"Uh, do I know you? Because I don't think So. If I did I'm sure I wouldn't forget," he says looking me up and down. I stand up and walk towards him and cross my arms.
"Oh shut up, Rodriguez. Your in one of your moods aren't ya?" I say. And as soon as I say that, Benny's eyes get wide with recognization.
"S-Sam?" He says.
"The one and only," I say and spread out my arms. He hugs me quickly.
"I thought I'd never see you again!! It's been 10 freakin years!!!"
"Well, you did say that we'll meet again one day," I say laughing. Benny looks behind me to one of the men that were sitting at the long table.
"Hey coach, this girl is on the team, she made me who I am. Plus, she's one of the best players I know. Maybe even as good as me," he said looked back at me.
"Well, If Rodriguez says that the chick is on the team, she's on the team," says one of the players, standing up. The others agree.
"Well then, welcome to the team, congratulations," the coach says sticking out his hand and I shake it.
"Thank you.. coach, I say. The men leave the Room and the coach hands me some papers to fill out. He leaves the room and me and Benny are the only ones left. I read the paper in my hand.
" I'll make $4.38 million dollars a year?!" I say. Benny laughs.
"Yep, livin the good life," he says.
"Ha. Speaking of life, how's yours?" I ask. He hesitates for a second.
"It's good. I mean, I have a nice house, I have a 10 year old little brother....." he scratches the back of his neck. He looked like he wanted to say something else too, but he didn't. he clears his throat.
"So, hows yours," He asks. I shrug.
"Good." Is all I say.
"Good? Anything else?" He laughs. I shrug again.
"Well I have my own house now and a nice car," I said.
"Are you.... married?" He ask.
"Nope, just me myself and I," I say. A weird expression came across his face that I couldn't figure out, but he quickly recovered.
"So wanna meet my little brother? He heard all about you from the boys. Your like his idol. Plus some of the old "crew" Is at my house for a visit," he says. I don't even hesitate when I answer,
"definitely, I haven't seen them since the day I moved, I have to stop at home to pack my stuff though" I said. He smiles.
"Alright let's go," He says and we walk out of the building. I get in my car and he gets in his. He lives in Los Angeles. We stopped at my house and we walked inside.
"I'll be right back," I say to Benny as I run upstairs. I walk into my bedroom and pull out my suit case. We made a plan that I'll stay at his house for a week. He lives in a mansion. That's why DeNunez and his family, and Jessica and Andrew with their family, were going to stay there too. He told me that his house has like 10 bedrooms. I threw some clothes in my suit case along with toiletries, my camera, and my baseball stuff, just Incase.
I zip it up and head down the stairs. This all felt like a dream. I never knew that I was going to see these people again. I spot Benny sitting on the couch looking at the pictures on the wall. One was with all the sandlot crew on the field. The others were individual pictures of each person.
"Ha, I remember that," he says pointing to the one where Timmy fell and slid around the field face first. It's was pretty bad. But funny.
"Yeah, That was somthin," I say. He looks at my bag.
"Ready?" He asks. I nod and he takes my bags from me and carries them to the car. We drive to the air port and get on the plane to Los Angeles. The fly took 4 hours and I fell asleep instantly.