Chapter 4

After about 5 hours in the sea, we decided to get going. We arrived at the mansion not long after. We all went inside and decided to do a little catching up. So we went in the large living room and sat near the fireplace while the kids played with their toys.
"So I really wanna know what happened to you after you moved, Sam," Said Benny. Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. I sigh, knowing that there's no way out of this.
"Fine. So, after I moved away, we moved to a beach house in Florida. My mom and smith didn't really pay attention to me at all anymore. My mom had a baby.......her name was Maxine. Any way, It was a pretty normal life. Nothing really exciting happened. The only thing that kept me going was baseball. One day, my parents decided to go to the store without me. So they got in their car and bring my little sister with them. But they never came back. Later the next day, a police man was at my door. He said that my parents and Maxine had gotten into a big car crash and none of the survived. I was all alone. I went to go live with my aunt, Tina. But I moved out at age 18. It was rough. And still, I could only depend on baseball. So for the rest of the time, I've been trying to get into the major leagues. I got my own house at age 21. I got a nice job and a nice car. I found out that my aunt died not soon after I moved out. Then I got that call from the major leagues and I got in and now I'm here," I finish. Everyone's eyes were wide.
"Wow I didn't know you went through all of that!" Says Jessica. I shrug.
"Yeah, you could've tried to contact one of us. We would've helped you," Said DeNunez. I hear everyone agree. I shrug.
"Well, y'all had your own lives to deal with. I didn't want you to waste your time on me and my messed up life," I say duly. They all shake their heads. After that, the kids decided to have a dance party.
So we had to participate too. We blasted some upbeat some song. Benny mostly danced with Danielle and DeNunez mostly danced with Nia. So I mostly danced with Andrew and Jessica the whole time.
Until the last song. It was still up best but not as fast. Benny walked over to me. I was sitting down, cris cross apple sauce on the ground. He plopped down beside me.
"Hey," He said.
"What's up," I reply. He shrugs.
"We haven't talked much," he said. I nod.
"So....um about Danielle-" I hold up a hand to
stop him.
"It's fine. You don't have to say anything. All that happened years ago, it's all....over," I shrugged. It hurt to say that but it had to be said. Benny looked at me for a second but then looked back at the ground.
"You don't understand Sam," he muttered. I look at him.
"Don't understand what?" I ask him. He shakes his head.
"Nothing never mind," he said. I sit back.
"So, when's the wedding?" I asks him. He looked at me perplexed.
"Uh ummm, in a couple days actually. Everything's already planed and stuff," he said quietly. I suddenly had a sour taste in my mouth.
"A couple days?" I ask. He nods.
"And get this, your invited. Danielle said that she really liked you and she wanted you to be there," he said slowly. I suddenly feel like throwing up.
"That's... great," I say, trying not to say anything bad. He studies my face, then looks forward.
"Remember that time when I beat up Phillips Cause he wanted to take you from m-, uh, the team?" He he asks, with a ghost of a smile on his face. I look down and chuckle.
"Yes, I remember that," I say, "what happened to Phillips by the way?" I tilted my head at Benny. His eyes flicker to me for a second.
"He, Uh, got married to Mackenzie about a month ago," he says slowly. I frown.
"Mackenzie? As in that blonde Haired bitch?" I laugh.
"Yes, that blonde haired bitch. I realized how much of a snob she was right after you left," he says, looking over at me. "I should've listened to you." I just chuckle and shake my head.
"Yeah, you should've," I say smugly. I look at him and he looks at me. We hold that gaze for a while, without breaking, before Danielle walks up to us. Benny breaks the gaze and looks at her. I silently groan to myself.
"Hey Benny," She says and pecks him on the cheek. I roll my eyes, without them seeing. How was I gonna live through this? Danielle looks over at me with a smile.
"So, are you coming to the wedding?" She asks, hopefully. I mentally scoff. there was no way that I was going to that. But I didn't want to make Benny or Danielle sad. Benny was my best friend after all.
How could I not go to his own wedding? I plaster a fake smile on my face. Though, it kept wavering.
"I-I'll try," I manage out. Danielle beams.
"Great!" I stand up my chair.
"Yeah...." I mumble. She didn't hear though.
"Tomorrow, we can get you a bridesmaid dress." She said. My eyes get wide.
"A-a what?" I ask. She chuckles.
"You'll be the maid of honor, silly," she laughed, "I couldn't decide who it should be until you came here. You're just so nice and there couldn't be anyone else more perfect for the spot," she beams. I couldn't find words. I was a sputtering mess. No way. No way. No way. I Glanced over at Benny. It looked like he was shocked too. He suddenly turned to Danielle.
"You didn't tell me about that," he said. His voice was hard and cold. Danielle looked surprised. I even looked surprised.
"I-I was going to, I just needed to make up my mind For sure first. I-I didn't know it would upset you," she says, uncertainly. Benny frowns.
"You don't think that having my ex as the maid of honor in our wedding, wouldn't make me mad?" He asked slowly. The way he said, "ex", kind of stung but I tried to not let it get to me. And it was hard. Danielle frowned.
"I'm-I'm sorry Benny. I mean, when you put it like that, it does sound bad, but can she at least choose? She can be that maid of honor if she like too, but she doesn't have to," she said. At first Benny's face got angrier but then he calmed down.
"I mean, sure, Fine, whatever, if she wants too. But I doubt she would," he shrugs. Now they were talking about me as if I wasn't standing right in front of them. I bet it would make Benny kinda mad if I said yes, I want to be the maid of honor. But that would be so hard. But if I say no, Danielle would be sad. and Danielle is a really happy and nice person. I would feel terrible if I let her down. I would feel terrible either way. What I said next, surprised me more than anything.
"I'd be glad to be the maid of honor in your wedding," I try to muster the kindest voice I could make. And it worked perfectly.
Danielle's face lit up and she looked like one of the most happiest people I've seen. It tore my heart in two when I agreed to be the maid of honor in my first love's wedding. I glance over at his beautiful, shocked face. He seemed as if he was trying to say something, but couldn't get the words out.
"That would be amazing!! We'll go into town tomorrow to pick the dress. Thank you so much, Sam!" Danielle beamed. I just nod my head In a "you're welcome" kind of way. I wasnt in the mood to talk right now. Danielle beams one more time before running off to tell other people.
    That leafy just me and Benny. Benny looked at me and shook his head. I frown at him in confusion.
     "You don't know how hard this is going to be for me now," he sighs and with that, he pushes himself off of his seat and stalks away, leaving me with thousands of questions.